Does Nintendo expect Splatoon to be the "Shooter of Nintendo"?

#21NovaLevossidaPosted 6/12/2014 11:53:12 AM
HappyHippo04 posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
First person shooter = shooter
Splatoon = third person shooter
Therefor, Splatoon != shooter

That's what I'm thinking is going through people's heads when I hear not a shooter. Third person shooter is totally a genre though, and that's what Splatoon totally is.

Third Person Shooters are still "shooters" -_-

I'm glad we agree, then, even if you don't necessarily realize you're agreeing with me.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#22JackalPosted 6/12/2014 11:55:41 AM
Nintendo needs shooters.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#23Baha05Posted 6/12/2014 11:56:15 AM
Jackal posted...
Nintendo needs shooters.

Ehhh hit or miss, depends in the kind too, we have FAR too many shooters on market as it is.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#24PhireKrowPosted 6/12/2014 11:56:52 AM
The problem with not selling the game as a full price, retail title is that Nintendo fans will be even less likely to buy it. Download titles aren't exactly extremely popular on the Wii U, and I don't see that changing anytime soon due to the type of gamers than Nintendo caters to (which isn't a bad thing, but requires a different strategy).

Splatoon would be more at home on a platform like Steam, where niche titles like itself can find a good audience without setting too high of a price point. Content-wise, a lot of the stages look very 'same-y', so it will be difficult to sell this for more than a $15 price tag.

This isn't even taking into account the fact that the game doesn't use any established Nintendo franchises, another difficult sell to Nintendo fans. If this game does well though, it could mean that Nintendo will be less reluctant in the future to try out new IPs with fresh ideas like Splatoon.
#25arvilinoPosted 6/12/2014 12:04:19 PM(edited)
Yes, at one point during the tree house stream they said they're hoping that it may be an equivalent of Mario Kart, so they're going to be pushing it pretty heavily.

PhireKrow posted...

Splatoon would be more at home on a platform like Steam, where niche titles like itself can find a good audience without setting too high of a price point. Content-wise, a lot of the stages look very 'same-y', so it will be difficult to sell this for more than a $15 price tag.

They've literally only shown off one stage and one game mode so ofcourse it looks the same. It's a 2015 title, don't confuse what you've seen with the end product.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#26JackalPosted 6/12/2014 12:02:09 PM
Baha05 posted...
Jackal posted...
Nintendo needs shooters.

Ehhh hit or miss, depends in the kind too, we have FAR too many shooters on market as it is.

Unfortunately, they aren't going anywhere for a very long time. So Nintendo fans may as well have their fun too.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#27usaamahlinkPosted 6/13/2014 9:18:32 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
HappyHippo04 posted...
NovaLevossida posted...
First person shooter = shooter
Splatoon = third person shooter
Therefor, Splatoon != shooter

That's what I'm thinking is going through people's heads when I hear not a shooter. Third person shooter is totally a genre though, and that's what Splatoon totally is.

Third Person Shooters are still "shooters" -_-

I'm glad we agree, then, even if you don't necessarily realize you're agreeing with me.

LMAO.
Yeah, I don't get how people are saying it doesn't play like a shooter...
It's not like the 'typical' shooters these days.. but thats a good thing. The game is still a shooter, although it also incorporates strategic and teamplay elements, and K/D is not the primary objective. I really like what they did with Splatoon. Hope it does really well. Also one thing noteworthy: This is headed by young developers at Nintendo. That is pretty significant. Hope they get more free wheel to make new games (along with more teams consisting of younger talent). It also seems like they still managed the Nintendo 'touch' of quality gameplay and Nintendo's uniqueness, which is great.
---
Anticipating Smash 4 & X (Monolith Soft)
http://i.minus.com/iymkFwzCt6K4l.jpg, http://i.minus.com/ibsMfYMxT38hy7.jpg, http://i.minus.com/iGBoTipJOu1bW.jpg
#28QuestionmarktariusPosted 6/13/2014 11:51:48 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
Yes. And if this is a $50 or $60 title, then I think it's going to be a huge flop.

If it's fifty bucks for what we've seen, it's definitely going to flop.

If, however, it's fifty bucks for what we've seen, plus a couple more online modes, plus a single-player campaign I can't comprehend from what we've seen, it'll be profitable.

If it's ten bucks, as is, or somehow free-to-play, it's going to be a monster hit.
#29Banjo2553Posted 6/14/2014 12:04:47 AM
Honestly, yeah, I think they expect the game to become a huge hit. It is a pretty unique concept for an arena TPS to be honest, and if they can get everything right, it could be the next Team Fortress 2, in terms of likable characters and good marketing.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#30DTY3Posted 6/15/2014 4:34:46 PM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
lT'S NOT A "SHOOTER." This is pretty much Nintendo's Ratchet & Clank.

It's a shooter lol. It's just more refreshing.