Should the Wii U be getting the 2D or 3D Metroid?

#21ArabrockermanXPosted 6/19/2014 5:26:28 PM
3D for sure, both if possible.
#22EsperValkyriePosted 6/22/2014 4:47:50 AM
PokemonYoutube posted...
iKhanic posted...
Putting 2D Metroid on Wii U would be completely asinine.

Mario and Donkey Kong were both 2D rather than 3D.

Mario and DK are both sidescrollers but they aren't 2D. They are still made up of polygons, Donkey Kong moreso than Mario.
---
"thou art I, and I am Thou..."
#23MeepleLardiclePosted 6/22/2014 5:28:11 AM
EsperValkyrie posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...
iKhanic posted...

Mario and DK are both sidescrollers but they aren't 2D. They are still made up of polygons, Donkey Kong moreso than Mario.

The term often used there is 2.5D, aka "3D Models on a 2D plane.". It has the graphics and sometimes camera work of a 3D game, but it functions like a 2D game. Street Fighter 4 is a good example of a 2.5D Fighter; it plays like all the previous games, but looks like a 3D game.

Generally speaking, a lot of 2D titles these days are like this. If we get another 2D Metroid, it'd likely be done in the same vain. It would allow things like zooming up on Samus or various objects on the field as she enters rooms, showing more elaborate backgrounds, etc. It's played just like Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, etc., but it'd have a modern 3D look to it.

3D Metroid, by comparison, would be either an FPS or 3PS, in terms of style. No, I am not saying Metroid Prme is a mindless game like that, but the game is clearly built off the basic shell of an FPS and goes from there.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#24Mr_Big_BossPosted 6/22/2014 5:43:22 AM
EsperValkyrie posted...
PokemonYoutube posted...
iKhanic posted...

When Nintendo said 2D, they're referring to the classic side scrolling concept, just like Mario, DK, and Zelda (not side scrolling, but still classic 2D style)
---
the end of one nightmare, prelude to the another...
#25AceMosPosted 6/22/2014 5:50:29 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
iKhanic posted...

This. But sadly, it really wouldn't surprise me. Nintendo seems very hesitant to actually design large scale 3D games on their first HD console. Hopefully Zelda is an indication that they're not just planning on making the Wii U a haven for 2D games. That's what their portable should be for.

zelda wii u xenoblade X both up comign wii u games with massive scale

and we have mario kart 8 a kart racer with large worlds mario 3D world has large levels for a 3D platformer
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#26Ghost-inZeShellPosted 6/22/2014 7:20:49 AM
I want to see the side-scroller on the 3DS.
I'm not calling it the "2D" one because I've seen Nintendo implement 3D elements into "2D" games before.
Link Between Worlds, for example.

I want to see the Prime-style on the Wii U.
I say "Prime-style" to separate it from other 3D Metroid games.

I don't call it a FPS, because although it looks that way, it differs from the FPS genre in some key ways.
Namely, guns.
Now before I hear any of you posting something like "...but metroid haz a gun", let me clarify that there are some differences between guns from games in the west, and the guns (arm-cannon) from games in the east games.

In the west, guns are used as a tool, something separate from the player, merely a means to an ends, and generally disposable and replaceable with any number of other guns.
Such as in COD and the Halo games.

In the east, guns aren't so much guns, but an extension of the self.
The gun is a part of the person, as a suit, or a vehicle. A representation of internal power, skill, and mastery.
Such as in Megaman and the Metroid games.

If you want to learn more about this difference in culture and how guns are represented in games, I strongly recommend taking a look at this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE
#27RadioOutriderPosted 6/22/2014 7:24:41 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Metroid Prime proved to be very successful, relatively speaking, why not just stick with that? Retro Studios, I'm sure, is willing to pick up the task for a new Metroid.

Yes, why not have the top developers at Nintendo rehash the same game over and over.

It would be nice to have Retro make a 2D Metroid though.
#28RoyMaster4Posted 6/22/2014 7:28:13 AM
Nowhere did they say that they would be separate games - they may be trying to go for the Other M gameplay again, or basing off Sonic Colors where there are 2d sections in a 3d environment.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023511833
3DS FC: 5026-4428-6076
#29Ghost-inZeShellPosted 6/22/2014 7:36:15 AM
RadioOutrider posted...
Yes, why not have the top developers at Nintendo rehash the same game over and over.

You seem to be beginning to understand "The Business Plan".