Next Metroid

#1singhtruerPosted 6/18/2014 6:55:22 PM
How great would it be if in the next Metroid for Wii U, the gameplay on the TV is first person like the Prime series while on the gamepad it's in the classic 2D style, having the option to play the entire game in either mode while reflecting the actions to the version not being played. I'm sure game design-wise this is impossible but it would be great to have the best of both worlds.
#2AceMosPosted 6/18/2014 6:56:35 PM
that dont make any sense
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#3PinxedPosted 6/18/2014 7:06:22 PM
That would be a horrible FPS, as you would be stuck on one plane.
---
Chrom Chrobs the Chrompetition!
When you look closely, magic happens. | http://i.imgur.com/hC4LSuc.jpg
#4EeqmcsqPosted 6/18/2014 7:15:34 PM
I don't think that's possible. But what might be possible is if the 2nd screen was Metroid Other M style - side scrolling action in 3D space. It would still be difficult to coordinate, because game play mechanics in 1st person view usually aren't as fast paced as side scrolling mechanics.
#5rockusPosted 6/18/2014 7:50:00 PM
Eeqmcsq posted...
I don't think that's possible. But what might be possible is if the 2nd screen was Metroid Other M style - side scrolling action in 3D space. It would still be difficult to coordinate, because game play mechanics in 1st person view usually aren't as fast paced as side scrolling mechanics.

It would also make more sense that the gamepad screen would be first person and the TV 3rd person.
---
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/
#6darkjedilinkPosted 6/18/2014 8:05:46 PM
No.

One or the other - Metroid either needs to do 2d alone, and do it very well, or first-person alone, and do it very well.

Trying to mix the two would not only be a massive failure, but they already did that. The failure of such is one of the many reason Other M sucked so hard.
---
Third-party games on Nintendo consoles haven't sold well since the GameCube because they don't perform as well as they should, and that's somehow our fault.
#7LRodCPosted 6/18/2014 8:07:51 PM(edited)
Other M 2
---
3DS FC: 1461-6200-7452
GameFAQs: Moderating you for your opinion since 1999.
#8Luigi4PresidentPosted 6/18/2014 8:28:59 PM
TC, I actually understand where you're coming from. Now while I think this idea is better suited to a game like Zelda (top-down on the Game Pad and 3D on the television), I think it is possible. Let's go with Zelda instead for a few seconds:

A switch is behind a wall. You can't see what's behind this wall. It could be a switch, it could be nothing, it could be your A-ha poster from the 80's. Looking at the top-down view we see that it's clearly a switch. You toss your boomerang over there (either by drawing the path, one of the good things ST and PH did) or by normal 3D conventions. Different items would handle differently I'd say.

Now that's an interesting use of an item. Even more thought-provoking is this: a hidden staircase that cannot be seen on the top-down view because the above floor is covering it up. 3D Link can see this staircase though, and solves yet another devious problem. These are pretty basic, but I'm sure unique opportunities abound here. Side scrolling doesn't really work here, but the basis of the idea are here.

On a side note, I actually had this Zelda idea months (maybe even years) ago. The concept was that Link found the Triforce of Courage much earlier than he should have, causing himself to split in two since he lacked the courage to handle its power and wisdom. One Link was in 3D world, the other in 2D world. Even without giving the Zelda brand name, it's still a cool idea, and something the Game Pad could greatly bring out. I encourage the TC to follow through with these ideas, or to at least expand upon them to where they have substantial "proof." Something more than a GameFAQs topic at least.
---
Crazy duck in space!
#9NovaLevossidaPosted 6/18/2014 8:31:10 PM
I don't think multiple perspectives is a very good idea. It made a little more sense for Star Fox, but I have the feeling that they'll remove the ability to switch to cockpit view at the press of a button rather than giving you the option to do so like how they removed the minimap from the TV with Mario Kart.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#10siegeshotPosted 6/19/2014 12:30:15 AM(edited)
Yarn Metroid? I don't want another fps or weird quasi 3rd person Metroid. Prime, even though I loved it, made me extremely motion sick. I'd want to see Ninty try something else. Like "over the shoulder" adventure, or something.

Or like Borderlands where it's an FPS but they keep the platforming basically to nothing. :P Heh.. hehehhehee... hehehehe! With the characters from MPH. :) Hehehehe! Kanden gooooooo!

---
Can we get a standalone console Mercs/Raid with Frank West, Rachael (Rachel) Foley, Quint Cetcham, and Jack Krauser with RE4 Village and RE5 Public Assembly?