Why the combined console-handheld idea is terrible.

#1iKhanicPosted 6/19/2014 2:43:04 PM
I keep seeing people say that Nintendo's next system needs to be a fusion of a console and a handheld. I'm here to tell you why that is a terrible terrible idea.

First of all let's look at the Vita. It's a complete and utter flop. People just aren't buying it despite it being quite feature rich. While the system has it's problems, the number one issue is that the concept behind it is delivering console gaming experiences on the go. People don't want that. When you are on the go you need something that you can play in quick intervals, and this is something Nintendo understood off the bat, really helping the 3DS sell units.

So a combined Console-Handheld from Nintendo would have the same problem. I'm really not interested in playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the go, I need something that I can enjoy in short intervals and interrupt often. Something like Steamworld Dig, where I can go for a quick mining trip in about 10 minutes and return to the surface to recharge light.

Next let's look at the Wii U up to this point. The Gamepad utilization in gameplay has been lackluster. Rather, the main benefit of it is convenient menu access and Off-TV play. While having features like this is great, the problem is that they are functioning as conveniences, not gameplay tools. And it doesn't make a lot of sense to bundle a convenience in your system, as it really does nothing but make the system more expensive and reduce your ability to include features that function as gameplay tools for a reasonable price. The reason you include gameplay tools with a system is because you want developers to know every owner of the system will have such tools to play their game with. Hence why you saw most N64 games use the analog stick, and most Wii games use motion.

Having the central feature of Nintendo's next system be a controller that you can take with you does the exact same thing. It will likely be quite expensive, and it would offer even less in terms of new gameplay features because the Wii U already offers developers the ability to try ideas involving second screen console gaming.

So the combined console-handheld idea really only takes the problems with the Vita and the problems with the Wii U and marries them into one system.
#2xavierakanePosted 6/19/2014 2:48:42 PM
No because the Vita is a standalone system that feeds off the PS3 and Ps4.
Rather than being combined with one another.
You can have both types of games.

What do you mean you can't have a console experience on the go then why do you have NES vc on the 3ds.
I would love to play Xenoblade Chronicles on the go.

If it is the combination of a 3ds and Wii U being $600 but offers both a console experience and a handheld experience I would buy it.
---
NNID: xavierfranco
Can't we all just get along?
#3sighyggdrasillPosted 6/19/2014 2:51:00 PM
iKhanic posted...
People don't want that. When you are on the go you need something that you can play in quick intervals, and this is something Nintendo understood off the bat, really helping the 3DS sell units.

So a combined Console-Handheld from Nintendo would have the same problem. I'm really not interested in playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the go, I need something that I can enjoy in short intervals and interrupt often. Something like Steamworld Dig, where I can go for a quick mining trip in about 10 minutes and return to the surface to recharge light.

This is completely subjective. Hence, this is your personal preference, you should not be talking for everyone else.

iKhanic posted...
the problem is that they are functioning as conveniences, not gameplay tools

And said conveniences are great. Do you know how handy it is to be able to access items via the touchpad in a Zelda game?

iKhanic posted...
So the combined console-handheld idea really only takes the problems with the Vita and the problems with the Wii U and marries them into one system.

Redundant since the Vita having problems is based on your completely subjective thoughts.
#4NovaLevossidaPosted 6/19/2014 2:51:31 PM
3DS: Weaker hardware with a 3D capability that's not very integral to gameplay.
Wii U: Weaker hardware with a gamepad that's not used in gameplay much so far, just off-TV play.

FU-SION-HA

Wii3DSU: Weaker hardware with the combined software libraries of what used to be two separate platforms.

I don't know in what universe that one would consider it terrible that Nintendo consolidate all their development power, studios, and IPs onto a single platform and go ape **** with releases. Even a cynical bastard like me would appreciate that, and while I'd still buy a Microsoft or Sony platform for my online gaming and titles I can't get on a Nintendo platform, I wouldn't be complaining about the amount of software on the Fusion.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 2:57:35 PM
NovaLevossida posted...
Wii U: Weaker hardware with a gamepad that's not used in gameplay much so far, just off-TV play.

FU-SION-HA

Wii3DSU: Weaker hardware with the combined software libraries of what used to be two separate platforms.

I don't know in what universe that one would consider it terrible that Nintendo consolidate all their development power, studios, and IPs onto a single platform and go ape **** with releases. Even a cynical bastard like me would appreciate that, and while I'd still buy a Microsoft or Sony platform for my online gaming and titles I can't get on a Nintendo platform, I wouldn't be complaining about the amount of software on the Fusion.

I 100% support Nintendo dropping their handheld business and moving to consoles only. I see the handheld market going more and more towards smartphones that it doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to continue on their handheld path.

I 100% am against them consolidating the two and making a "worst of both worlds" system.
#6Granadico_Posted 6/19/2014 2:58:44 PM
I'd love it but idk if it'd sell well. It'd be like a $600 system, and not everyone wants BOTH a handheld and console.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#7sighyggdrasillPosted 6/19/2014 2:59:17 PM
NovaLevossida posted...

The 3DS is garbage. 240p screen, meaning a very low screen resolution (The Sony PSP has a higher screen resolution btw), unessential 3D that has to be looked at straight on (I really wonder who plays games with 3D on?) and terrible battery life that prompts you to buy a 3rd party battery expansion pack.
#8iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2014 3:01:00 PM
sighyggdrasill posted...
iKhanic posted...
People don't want that. When you are on the go you need something that you can play in quick intervals, and this is something Nintendo understood off the bat, really helping the 3DS sell units.

This is completely subjective. Hence, this is your personal preference, you should not be talking for everyone else.

iKhanic posted...
the problem is that they are functioning as conveniences, not gameplay tools

And said conveniences are great. Do you know how handy it is to be able to access items via the touchpad in a Zelda game?

iKhanic posted...

Redundant since the Vita having problems is based on your completely subjective thoughts.

1. All gaming opinions are subjective. That's why we have discussion.
2. It's not just my opinion, it's the opinion of most industry analysts as to why the Vita's not doing so hot.
3. Conveniences are great, which is why they should be offered as peripherals sold separately. The only thing bundling conveniences into a console does is either raise the price or force the creator to remove other features.

@xavierakane You might, but no console since the NES has been successful at a price greater than $450. The PS3 launched at 600 but got a price drop before it saw success.
#9NovaLevossidaPosted 6/19/2014 3:01:58 PM
sighyggdrasill posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

The 3DS is garbage. 240p screen, meaning a very low screen resolution (The Sony PSP has a higher screen resolution btw), unessential 3D that has to be looked at straight on (I really wonder who plays games with 3D on?) and terrible battery life that prompts you to buy a 3rd party battery expansion pack.

Oh, I hate gaming on it. It strikes me as somewhere between a PS1 and PS2. Any games attempting polygons on there I just can't stand because of how they look. The 3DS is just my Theatrhythm and classic games machine as it functions rather well for that. But I'd rather play Theathrythm on the gamepad.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#10Baha05Posted 6/19/2014 3:03:30 PM
sighyggdrasill posted...
NovaLevossida posted...

And yet the 3DS has been kicking ass for three years running now, so obviously it's doing something right.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS