Virtual Console games worth the $1.50 upgrade?

#1GlassDarklyPPosted 6/20/2014 2:56:06 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed before -- anything I found on the topic was prior to the latest update.

I'm a new Wii U owner, and I transferred all my stuff over from my Wii. Now I see I have the option to re-buy my VC titles on the Wii U.

What are the benefits in doing this?

Anybody think it's worth the $1.50?

And are the Wii U save states different from what the Wii had?
#2RahzarXPosted 6/20/2014 2:58:36 PM
Save states alone make it worth it.

Customizeable controls.

Off-TV play.

It's well worth it.
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#3UncleGrubbyPosted 6/20/2014 2:58:50 PM
Off screen play, HD display (debatable benefit), superior save states. Most importantly, the ability to remap buttons as you please. And you can abandon your Wii remotes.
#4XImperialDragonPosted 6/20/2014 2:59:06 PM
The benefits are that you can play the game on the Gamepad instead of solely on the screen after going into the Wii menu, I think. If there's something else I have no idea.

Pretty sure the save states are different. I had endless P Wings on my Wii Mario 3, nothing in Wii U Mario 3.
---
Sony bought Konami and will release a DDR game for the Nintendo 3DS. In this game, you set your 3DS on the floor and stomp on it till it no longer functions.
#5Baha05Posted 6/20/2014 3:00:08 PM
Depends, if you don't have a lot of games it's good to do it, basically the upgrade fee allows Gamepad and other controller methods (and options for buttons), access to a single savestate, Miiverse access to that game, and I believe other options. It might have the same means of save stating too like the Wii so when you leave and boot up the game it will put you back at that point as well.

If you have a lot of VC games it gets pricy though as the library expands. Which really sucks and it's stupid that the fee even exists.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#6Shadowbird_RHPosted 6/20/2014 3:12:27 PM(edited)
It's worth if if/when you want to replay the game, but meaningless if you had your fill with the Wii version.

That said, I don't get why people are calling it an upgrade fee. The Wii version remains as-is and the Wii U version is fully independent of the Wii version. Would people still call it an upgrade fee if Nintendo didn't discount the cost of Wii U VC games when Wii versions were already bought on/transferred to the system?
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#7GlassDarklyP(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 3:22:11 PM
Thanks, all. I think I'll pay for the ones I can see myself playing again. Love those save states on the 3DS.

Shadowbird_RH posted...
That said, I don't get why people are calling it an upgrade.

I agree. I debated what word to use, and then settled on that one. But fee is better, I agree.
#8terrancejonesPosted 6/20/2014 3:30:41 PM
It was especially worth it, if you had purchased those games via club nintendo coins.

But really, it's 1.50$, and I wouldn't worry about it if you had extra dollars lying around just sitting there, and it was a favorite game.
---
If people want the Wii U Cheaper, and the cost of the White model is already the price of the 3DS XL, are they saying they want it the same price as a 3DS?
#9Baha05Posted 6/20/2014 3:38:10 PM
GlassDarklyP posted...
Thanks, all. I think I'll pay for the ones I can see myself playing again. Love those save states on the 3DS.

Shadowbird_RH posted...

I agree. I debated what word to use, and then settled on that one. But fee is better, I agree.

Most likely because it adds new features to the ROM/Emulator itself.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#10Shadowbird_RHPosted 6/20/2014 3:42:47 PM
Baha05 posted...
GlassDarklyP posted...

Shadowbird_RH posted...

Most likely because it adds new features to the ROM/Emulator itself.

Except that it doesn't. The Wii version stays the same, and the Wii U version is the same regardless of whether or not the Wii version was there save for the price.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR