The Metroid Prime series, is basically Super Metroid, but in 3D

#11Nerreltron9000Posted 6/20/2014 8:20:33 PM
They're very similar in terms of atmosphere and exploration, but controlling Samus in 1st person is nothing like controlling her in 3rd person. All of Samus' speed and agility is lost and most of her advanced powerups never made it into the Prime series.

Retro managed to make most things very faithful to the old games, but action-wise, they're almost nothing alike (which isn't a bad thing, since it's nice to have different ways to play, but it's still true).

That's a big part of the reason why I really enjoyed The-Game-That-Won't-Be-Named-Here-Because-I-Don't-Want-to-Start-An-Utterly-Redundant--500-Page-Argument.
#12NovaLevossidaPosted 6/20/2014 8:21:00 PM
MP1 felt like a spiritual remake of Super Metroid. But better. Don't hate me. :/
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#13HermeticJustice(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 8:23:00 PM
StarmanJunior64 posted...
why was this topic made?
what purpose does it have?
why is it here?

mainly people who call MP a FPS, as if it was the Bomberman Act Zero of the Metroid series
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#14strongo9Posted 6/20/2014 8:30:14 PM
HermeticJustice posted...
why was this topic made?
why is it here?

mainly people who call MP a FPS, as if it was the Bomberman Act Zero of the Metroid series

Not even close. Not only is Metroid Prime not a FPS (I'm not saying this out of hate of FPSs or anything, I love the genre), but it is very well loved, more-so than Super Metroid. The comparison doesn't make sense
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce GT 540m
#15Nerreltron9000Posted 6/20/2014 8:35:16 PM
strongo9 posted...
but it is very well loved, more-so than Super Metroid.

Let's not get crazy here.
#16HermeticJustice(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2014 8:36:18 PM
strongo9 posted...
HermeticJustice posted...
why was this topic made?
why is it here?

Not even close. Not only is Metroid Prime not a FPS (I'm not saying this out of hate of FPSs or anything, I love the genre), but it is very well loved, more-so than Super Metroid. The comparison doesn't make sense

imagine this

people like Super Metroid

but hate the FPS genre

and they come across Metroid Prime

their first thought is that it is a sellout, since they can't associate something they like, with something they don't like

what I'm saying, is that even if you dislike FPS games, but enjoy Super Metroid, you should enjoy Metroid Prime
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#17Darkflame411Posted 6/20/2014 8:38:09 PM
But I like FPS (some) games and absolutely Love Super Metroid. But just can't get into Metroid Prime.
---
3ds friend code: 1865-0040-6914
#18XeroShinobiPosted 6/20/2014 8:38:10 PM
Citan22 posted...
i think that was the idea TC.. it's kinda like how OoT is LttP but in 3D.

Meh. LttP is quite a bit different than OoT.

Zelda didn't transition perfectly into 3D.
---
Currently playing: not much
#19SUPER3METROIDXPosted 6/20/2014 11:07:52 PM
Darkflame411 posted...
While I agree I just don't enjoy the first person perspective in a game like Metroid. It's why I could never get into prime despite loving the 2d games.

I'd say part of it that and the reason a lot of people feel that way is mainly that the prime games are a lot slower and methodic. Each room is much bigger and you're meant to spend a lot of time taking in each part where as in the 2d games you can run right through everything and feel very quick. The combat is also longer to get to. You find space pirates and get to the first boss very quick in super Metroid while in prime, you don't find space pirates till near 2 hours in and the first boss is a while in too. The prime games take more patience while 2d ones tend to be more action and speed oriented ironically.
#20driver892Posted 6/21/2014 7:43:04 AM
KungFuPhil posted...
I love the Prime series. I felt like Retro Studios did an amazing job reimagining the Metroid series in 3D. With that said, I feel like each of the Prime games had a fault. For example, the first game had an awful late-game where you had to fight these pirate ghosts in every-freakin'-room. Metroid Prime 2 was more frustrating than it needed to be and Metriod Prime 3 was a little too combat heavy to my liking, especially because the combat is pretty flat in the Prime series.

I didn't really find Prime 2 to be very frustrating at all, and sure some things like losing energy in the dark world and needed ammo to use beams may piss people off, but I was able to adapt to the slightly different gameplay mechanics and I'm glad I did, because once I knew how to play the game, I really enjoyed Prime 2. Not as much as Prime 1, but still a great game in its own right. To me at least.
---
so many games to play, so little time to play them, so many things to do also