I want to buy a Wii U, and seeking help from long-time Wii U owners.

#1thasnipermasterPosted 6/21/2014 1:27:58 PM
First thing first, I don't ever want to hold that tablet controller again, but from what I understand it is required for the initial set up for the Wii U.

So the big question is: After I do the initial set up of my Wii U via the tablet controller, can I put the tablet controller back in the box and never let it see the light of day again? Will my Wii U be 100% fully functional with the Wii U Pro Controller and without the tablet controller after the initial set up? If there are some other things you believe I should know about the Wii U, please tell.
---
Im opposite of a care bear
#2Zeldamaniac7347Posted 6/21/2014 1:33:15 PM
I guess you could do that. I always use the tablet not really sure how you could hate it if you haven't spent more than a few hours with it...
#3picanoPosted 6/21/2014 1:35:19 PM
You're gonna need the gamepad any time you want to change the settings and probably during each update.

Otherwise, you'll just need to keep watch on the game's packaging to tell if it has optional controls.

(And don't you think it's a bit over dramatic?)
---
3D and catgirls! : http://picanogfx.unotaku.com/
#4Koi_TenchiPosted 6/21/2014 1:36:54 PM
IIRC, you need to use the gamepad to maneuver through the home screen/quick start menu.

I know there have been different updates lately so this may be out of date information so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I still play my Wii U a lot but I love the gamepad myself so I really haven't tried to maneuver much without it personally.
---
It's a secret to everybody.
#5UponADarkThornePosted 6/21/2014 1:37:30 PM
You'll need it for e-shop stuff and I believe for updating the system but I've been pretty much playing exclusively with my Pro Controller for a while.

That being said, the GamePad isn't as bad as you'd think. It's only a little heavier than a wireless 360 controller and because of how the weight is distributed it actually feels lighter.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2680-9395-3914; NNID: MisterNoOne
Friend Safari (Dragon): Fraxure, Noibat, Sliggoo
#6thasnipermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 1:43:24 PM
picano posted...
You're gonna need the gamepad any time you want to change the settings and probably during each update.

Just console settings, not in-game settings right? I don't see why I would have to change any console settings, I never touch my settings on my PS4.
---
#7thasnipermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 1:44:50 PM
Koi_Tenchi posted...
IIRC, you need to use the gamepad to maneuver through the home screen/quick start menu.

I know there have been different updates lately so this may be out of date information so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

So you can not maneuver through the home menu with the Pro Controller? O_o
---
#8picanoPosted 6/21/2014 1:45:39 PM
thasnipermaster posted...
picano posted...

Just console settings, not in-game settings right? I don't see why I would have to change any console settings, I never touch my settings on my PS4.

Correct. But, I forgot to mention (as others have) that you'll need it for the eShop and web browser as well.
---
#9picanoPosted 6/21/2014 1:46:37 PM
thasnipermaster posted...
So you can not maneuver through the home menu with the Pro Controller? O_o

X (or y?) on the pro, 1 (or 2?) on the wiimote will swap the screens and allow you control.
---
#10thasnipermaster(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 1:49:05 PM
Ok, so the eShop is basically Nintendos version of Xbox marketplace and PSN store?
---