People say Nintendo is the best spot for Capcom but is Capcom best for Nintendo?

#1SUPER3METROIDXPosted 6/21/2014 4:23:52 PM
A lot of people are argueing that Nintendo should buy Capcom because Nintendo would treat them best. But would that really be the best move for Nintendo?

Nintendo has a lot of bank but buying capcom would still be a pretty huge chunk of change. Their stock total is over $1billion which would mean spending at least $500 million just to get them. Plus they'd have to go through a lot paperwork and legal pains which could take quite a while.
And then after they'd finally have capcom they'd now have to worry about all the debts and black holes they have and try to deal with them. And capcom also has games on every platform many exclusive likely with a binding contract which would mean Nintendo would then legally have to support games for their competition. And they couldn't just pull out and drop support for PC and the other consoles immediately because that would piss off fans. So they'd have to burn a ton of money keeping that up for a while.

And that's not counting the huge waste they've put into other things either. A bunch of money is wasting away from mobile junk, they have tons of merchandizing and accessories Nintendo would have to take care of like movies and arcades. And then they'd have to fix the talent. They still have talent but they definitely need new blood so thats money hiring and firing a bunch of people. And they can't just cancel their games so they'd have to push them out before they can get started on new projects. So probably 2 years before they all are working on games that won't suck. And another 2 years after that before those games come out. So by the time this happens the Wii u will probably be almost done and they'll be having the next Nintendo console.

So that's minimum $500 million just to get it, a year in legal junk, tons of money to fix the money pits, dealing with crap games already in development, dealing with contract locked exclusives for Sony and Microsoft, dealing with awful talent and hiring and firing, and all in all probably 4-5 years before this actually has any major payoff for Nintendo.
All just to get megaman, street fighter, and resident evil? Surely nintendo's cash could be better used elsewhere like creating new studios with nothing to get in the way or just buying companies who aren't bleeding on the floor?
#2Maverick_ReznorPosted 6/21/2014 4:26:12 PM
well capcom and many of its franchises have a dedicated fanbase.
as the saying goes "you have to spend money to make money"
---
Currently Playing : Watch Dogs,WildStar, and Mario Kart 8
Looking Forward To: Destiny, Smash Bros, The Order 1886, and ScaleBound
#3BloodychessPosted 6/21/2014 4:28:24 PM
If they can pick apart certain bones from Capcom's corpse then I feel that would be their best course of action. Also, this isn't a short term decision and I feel like OP is treating it like one. Yes, the costs are going to be astronomical upfront, that's what happens when you acquire IP's. The main question is will this turn over into a profit far down the line.

Considering what Capcom has to offer, I believe it will if they really do go for the lump assimilation. Honestly though I don't see any of the Big 3 doing it.
---
I'm here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff
#4JoeSkeletorPosted 6/21/2014 4:37:52 PM
If any one console company IE Nintendo,sony or MS aquire capcom then we all suffer the SF series would wither megaman would suffer more and RE would die. Fact is if these titles are not multi plat in this age then they will reach a smaller audience and they are already causing capcom to tank.
---
PS4: Irskeletor / XB1: JoeSkeletor / WiiU: Deadskelton
#5SUPER3METROIDX(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2014 4:52:59 PM
Bloodychess posted...
If they can pick apart certain bones from Capcom's corpse then I feel that would be their best course of action. Also, this isn't a short term decision and I feel like OP is treating it like one. Yes, the costs are going to be astronomical upfront, that's what happens when you acquire IP's. The main question is will this turn over into a profit far down the line.

Considering what Capcom has to offer, I believe it will if they really do go for the lump assimilation. Honestly though I don't see any of the Big 3 doing it.

This is a long term decision that has a massive up front cost with a pay out years away. Yes this could be worth it if you can take a huge hit like Microsoft could but Nintendo is only a video games company and their flagship product needs something to help it right now. By the time capcom could really pay off, this gen could be near over.
#6jairusmonillasPosted 6/21/2014 4:59:00 PM
MS has way more than Nintendo lol.
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 1.84 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB gDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#7MetroidJunkiePosted 6/21/2014 5:04:34 PM(edited)
Given Capcom is on the brink of bankruptcy, Nintendo would probably have to restructure a lot of Capcom's policies just to make sure the company doesn't end up being a tumor.

jairusmonillas posted...

Naturally, a lot more people use Windows than anything made by Sony or Nintendo, their PC market gets them a ton of gravy. Even the Xbox One's bad PR can't put a dent in them.
#8jairusmonillasPosted 6/21/2014 5:06:09 PM
Whoever buys them would only look good on paper with all those IPs but it won't give them much profit in return. The price won't be a walk in the park, it's like getting excited for a date with a hot chick only to realize you got infected with HIV after the deed. lol
---
PS4 GPU: 1152 GCN, 1.84 TFLOPS, 72 TMUs, 32 ROPs, 8GB gDDR5
XB1 GPU :: 768 GCN, 1.31 TFLOPS, 48 TMUs, 16 ROPs, 8GB DDR3+eSRAM
#9b1gt0nePosted 6/21/2014 5:07:47 PM
jairusmonillas posted...

Hey, look what showed up....
#10b1gt0nePosted 6/21/2014 5:11:10 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]