People who grew up playing Nintendo....

#1vermilion99Posted 6/23/2014 2:46:48 PM
Do their games still impress and amaze you like they did years ago?

For me, I feel like they have been stuck in a rut since the N64 days. Goldeneye, Mario 64, OoT, and Majoras Mask were such incredible experiences that still stick out even to this day. I was amazed then and now at how Nintendo changed game design and laid the foundation for 3D gaming. Nearing 20 years and those games are still highly regarded and appear in best games of all time lists.

I feel like Nintendo has gotten away from pushing the boundaries of game design like they used to. OoT in 1998 was incredible as was Majoras Mask in 2000. But I can play twilight Princess and Skyward Sword and can't believe how much later they were released and how little they did for gaming. In 20 years I don't think you will find many people praising the likes of TP, SS, or Mario 3D world the way they have and do with those older classics.

It's also a disappointment for me how there 2D Mario games of late don't come close to the greatness of SMB 3, World, or Yoshis Island.
#2EzioAuditore947Posted 6/23/2014 2:48:26 PM
Not since the N64, console wise. Handhelds have still impressed me though.
---
And so, with mere seconds to act, I knelt down and punched it to death. It was the most exhilarating experience of my life. - BTB
#3xavierakanePosted 6/23/2014 2:50:01 PM
Nostalgia
---
NNID: xavierfranco
Can't we all just get along?
#4SpookyryuPosted 6/23/2014 2:50:16 PM
Nostalgia is a very powerful deceiver, I actually was impressed with 3D World and 3D Land as platformer, and I think Mario Kart 8 only has 1 track that I dislike, I m still impressed with Nintendo, and playing on the VC all the games I loved, just make me happy, I still love to chill out playing nintendo games
#5vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2014 2:53:52 PM
xavierakane posted...
Nostalgia

Why do people throw this around to try and prove a point? Playing OoT in 1998 was an amazing experience simply because it did so many new things for gaming and raised the bar for gaming. Can you seriously say that TP or SS will be remembered in the same way that OoT is?
#6vermilion99(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2014 2:56:28 PM
Spookyryu posted...
Nostalgia is a very powerful deceiver, I actually was impressed with 3D World and 3D Land as platformer, and I think Mario Kart 8 only has 1 track that I dislike, I m still impressed with Nintendo, and playing on the VC all the games I loved, just make me happy, I still love to chill out playing nintendo games

It's not nostalgia. Nintendos games in the mid and late nineties were pushing boundaries. That isn't nostalgia. There games were more impressive and groundbreaking in there time then the updates of those games these days.
#7neogeoftwPosted 6/23/2014 2:59:09 PM
Been gaming since I the NES days and have played most major consoles from Nintendo, Sega, NEC, Microsoft and Sony.

Yes their games still amaze me after all of these years. I know a lot of people call Mario and Zelda games rehashes, but let me use this analogy. When the genesis was out, Sonic was a revelation. Sonic 2 was better. Then came sonic 3 and eventually sonic 3 and knuckles and LOCK ON TECH which was mindblowing at the time and the games were also fantastic.

Then we started getting Sonic 3d blast, Sonic R, Sonic Labrynth. Sonic Adventure was great, but the camera was all over the place. And Sonic Adventure 2 forced us to change characters between levels so it slowed the pace down considerably when using anyone but sonic or shadow.

After that we got duds like shadow the hedgehog, sonic 06, sonic and the secret rings, and sonic unleashed. It wasn't until Generations and Colors that Sonic got it right again.

With Nintendo, there hasn't been that dip in quality with their franchises. They continue to make their game amazing even after all of these years.
#8SpookyryuPosted 6/23/2014 2:59:17 PM
vermilion99 posted...
xavierakane posted...
Nostalgia

Why do people throw this around to try and prove a point? Playing OoT in 1998 was an amazing experience simply because it did so many new things for gaming and raised the bar for gaming. Can you seriously say that TP or SS will be remembered in the same way that OoT is?

its difficult now to raise the bar for gaming that much, also when you are kid you are amazed very easily making really hard when you are older to get amazed, and I also love OoT, but the last Zelda are good games too.
#9StarmanJunior64Posted 6/23/2014 3:01:10 PM
I prefer older to newer in most cases, but there are a few games that come out these days that really impress me. Needless to say, they still impress me enough to support them.

For example:
I played Kirby: Triple Deluxe. It was the best Kirby game I've played in years, and came close to rivaling my love for Adventure and Dreamland 2.

I tried Kirby 64 upon completion. I hated it so much, that I took it out of N64 and drop kicked it. Then I arduously finished it. I wish I was making that up.
---
Playing: Tales of Phantasia (SNES), Metroid Prime: Hunters (DS), and Mega Man X (SNES)
#10Shadowbird_RHPosted 6/23/2014 3:01:46 PM
I don't think I've ever really been amazed by Nintendo games, but they're almost always reliable for a fun time, form the NES to the Wii U. That said, it's often been 3rd party games that are my favorites on Nintendo consoles.

NES: Dragon Warrior 3
SNES: Breath of Fire 2
N64: didn't own
GameCube: Super Smash Bros Melee (the exception)
Wii: Rune Factory Frontier
Wii U: The Wonderful 101 (for now. It's a great game, but not up to the standards of an end-of-gen favorite game)
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR