WiiU questions before buying

#1Y SPosted 6/27/2014 9:05:20 AM
I am thinking of getting a WiiU but have a few questions..

1. I already have a Wii with 2 Wii motion+ controllers, can they be used for the WiiU and all games?
2. Do the Wii nunchucks also work with the WiiU and all games?
3. Can my Wii digital games carry over to WiiU?
4. What games playable on WiiU can I play on the WiiU GamePad remotely?
5. What is the biggest HDD size of WiiU I can get or can the memory be increased?
6. Can I play GameCube or Wii games on WiiU?
7. Can I carry my Wii saves over to WiiU to carry on my Wii games?
8. Are there any GaceCube games on the WiiU digital store or any coming?
9. Is the online for WiiU free and what online games like MH3U are there with active communities?
10. How do I pay for WiiU digital games?

And this is really for EU players but does anyone in the UK know of any cheap WiiU deals going around? And is that buy MK8 and get a free game deal still on?

Thanks for the time.
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#2BahamutBBobPosted 6/27/2014 9:23:10 AM(edited)
1. There are a fair share of games that support the Wii remotes, and yes you can use them.
2. Yes, if the game supports it, you can use it just fine.
3. You can transfer your games from your Wii to your Wii U. Virtual Console games re-released for the Wii U have a small fee to upgrade, if you already own the Wii version. The Wii version still works in Wii mode.
4. I'm not sure. I got the impression that you could play all of them, but I only have a few, which are all playable on the gamepad.
5. The internal flash is set at 8/32 depending on your model, but you can plug in an external HDD. I'm not sure what the size limit is.
6. Gamecube, no. Wii, yes. There is a Wii mode that mimics the Wii's home screen, and lets you play Wii discs and downloaded games.
7. I'm not sure, I never owned a Wii. I would guess you can, since you can copy your downloaded Wii stuff?
8. No. There is a port of Windwaker, but no others that I can think of. There are no GameCube VC games.
9. Online is free. I'm not sure how active it is overall, but I haven't had any trouble finding a lobby in Mario Kart.
10. In the eShop, you pay a real world value from your credit card, or you can buy prepaid eShop cards from a local store. Your balance is shared between a 3DS and a Wii U, if you have them on the same Nintendo Network account.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#3Nova_CastingsPosted 6/27/2014 9:23:36 AM
1. I already have a Wii with 2 Wii motion+ controllers, can they be used for the WiiU and all games?

Not all games, but most.

2. Do the Wii nunchucks also work with the WiiU and all games?

See 1.

3. Can my Wii digital games carry over to WiiU?

Yes, there's a transfer process.

4. What games playable on WiiU can I play on the WiiU GamePad remotely?

Quite a few, mostly ones that don't make heavy use of the screen.

5. What is the biggest HDD size of WiiU I can get or can the memory be increased?

32 GB of flash memory. You can attach an external drive via USB.

6. Can I play GameCube or Wii games on WiiU?

Just Wii, no GCN.

7. Can I carry my Wii saves over to WiiU to carry on my Wii games?

Yes.

8. Are there any GaceCube games on the WiiU digital store or any coming?

Not as of yet.

9. Is the online for WiiU free and what online games like MH3U are there with active communities?

Online is free.

10. How do I pay for WiiU digital games?

Credit, debit, or eshop cards.
---
~Nova Castings
Dominus vobiscum et memento mori.
#4fernantendoPosted 6/27/2014 9:32:22 AM
Just wanted to add that BahamutBBob's responses are spot on. Just to clarify a few of his answers:

4. Nearly all WiiU games have off-screen only play. Windwaker HD, Super Mario Bros U and DK:TP are among the ones I most play on the gamepad alone.

Would also like to add that all Wii games are playable on gamepad alone. The gamepad itself has a strip bar that works like a sensor bar for wii remotes. Note that you still require wii controllers to play the game, but the gamepad screen can effectively function like a portable TV for those games.

5. I know that for external HDD drives, I was able to go up to 1TB no problem. Note that the HDD needs to have its own power supply. And you can also use USB drives. In either case, whatever you use will be formatted for exclusive WiiU use.

7. Yes, Wii game saves transfer over, and work fine on WiiU's Wii mode.

8. Yes, no Gamecube VC games yet. We were promised them, but nothing announced on the horizon.
---
Let's get ON with it! - Bill from The Last of Us
#5Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2014 10:03:10 AM
fernantendo posted...
Just wanted to add that BahamutBBob's responses are spot on. Just to clarify a few of his answers:

4. Nearly all WiiU games have off-screen only play. Windwaker HD, Super Mario Bros U and DK:TP are among the ones I most play on the gamepad alone.

Would also like to add that all Wii games are playable on gamepad alone. The gamepad itself has a strip bar that works like a sensor bar for wii remotes. Note that you still require wii controllers to play the game, but the gamepad screen can effectively function like a portable TV for those games.

5. I know that for external HDD drives, I was able to go up to 1TB no problem. Note that the HDD needs to have its own power supply. And you can also use USB drives. In either case, whatever you use will be formatted for exclusive WiiU use.

8. Yes, no Gamecube VC games yet. We were promised them, but nothing announced on the horizon.

Nice so I can just attach a big USB drive to my WiiU and not worry about the low 32GB on the system?
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#6mlahodikPosted 6/27/2014 10:10:28 AM
Y S posted...
fernantendo posted...

Nice so I can just attach a big USB drive to my WiiU and not worry about the low 32GB on the system?

correct! thats what I did.
---
FC: 4081-6350-3674 ; NNID: Mahrii; psn: mahrii57
Christian mom, child of the one true king! One day every knee will bow, like it or not.
#7BlackPhoenix127Posted 6/27/2014 10:14:17 AM
Y S posted...
fernantendo posted...

Pretty much. There is a sticky topic on expanding your storage if you want details.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#8NiftyManZPosted 6/27/2014 10:17:56 AM
BlackPhoenix127 posted...
Y S posted...
fernantendo posted...

Pretty much. There is a sticky topic on expanding your storage if you want details.

Yes, just be aware that the hard drive cannot be used for anything else.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#9Shadowbird_RHPosted 6/27/2014 10:18:34 AM
Yeah, you can use flash drives, but they're not recommended. I've seen reports of people's cheap flash drives crapping out on them when used with the Wii U for long enough.

Also, hard drives that don't plug into an outlet can also work on the Wii U, but they need a y-cable to draw power from a second USB port.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#10Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2014 10:45:06 AM
Shadowbird_RH posted...
Yeah, you can use flash drives, but they're not recommended. I've seen reports of people's cheap flash drives crapping out on them when used with the Wii U for long enough.

Also, hard drives that don't plug into an outlet can also work on the Wii U, but they need a y-cable to draw power from a second USB port.

Surely if a USB drive breaks its only the install of the game that can easily be re-downloaded and my saves would be safely on the consoles HDD?
---