Why a new Metroid Prime over a third-person Metroid?

#41NintendoLover25Posted 6/30/2014 10:31:42 PM
The Metroid Prime games were well received, while Other M wasn't. Logically, people have more faith in another 1st person title as it a proven formula. Metroid isn't really something I'm into, so I can't really give a personal opinion.
#42Baha05Posted 6/30/2014 10:32:36 PM
NintendoLover25 posted...
The Metroid Prime games were well received, while Other M wasn't. Logically, people have more faith in another 1st person title as it a proven formula. Metroid isn't really something I'm into, so I can't really give a personal opinion.

Thing is that Other M had other problems to why it was hated, camera angle tends to not be one of them.
---
""All of you that think Bayo in Peach's dress is the first game are either fools or really the most ignorant fanboys alive." SSJ4CHRIS
#43QuestionmarktariusPosted 6/30/2014 10:48:14 PM
Baha05 posted...
Thing is that Other M had other problems to why it was hated, camera angle tends to not be one of them.

The Other M engine could make a great game, if it was cleaned up. Get rid of the terrible missile controls, get rid of the godawful pixel-hunts, and add back the purple balls and missile refills, and we're getting closer.
#44NintendoLover25Posted 6/30/2014 10:49:55 PM
Baha05 posted...
NintendoLover25 posted...

Sorry, I should clarify. I don't believe being in 3rd person is the cause of Other M's poor reception, I just feel people associate that game with the idea of Metroid in 3rd person. Like if someone is thinking if they want one or the other, they've already seen well done 1st person Metroid, but 3rd person is still an unknown as to what a good one would be like. Like I said though, I'm not personally invested in this series, I'm saying what I think the fanbase is going through. I could be totally wrong, and if so, sorry for mischaracterizing them.
#45MellowLyricist(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 9:42:53 AM(edited)
One other thing I don't know if people realize is that Retro Studios is not the same Retro Studios that made the Prime games...a lot of those employees moved to Armature Studio, and their senior game designer moved to id Software. So asking for another Prime game developed by Armature Studio might make more sense.

Great point about the current Retro being a good candidate to develop a side-scrolling Metroid, though!
---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
#46MetroidJunkiePosted 7/1/2014 12:07:20 PM
MellowLyricist posted...
One other thing I don't know if people realize is that Retro Studios is not the same Retro Studios that made the Prime games...a lot of those employees moved to Armature Studio, and their senior game designer moved to id Software. So asking for another Prime game developed by Armature Studio might make more sense.

Great point about the current Retro being a good candidate to develop a side-scrolling Metroid, though!

Their senior game designer is now in ID? Well, maybe that at least means Doom 4 has a decent shot of being good.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#47Dersu_UzalaPosted 7/1/2014 12:09:38 PM
Other M should have played JUST like Ninja Gaiden with a greater emphasis on projectiles. It would have been easy not to screw it up.
#48DiscostewSMPosted 7/1/2014 12:12:54 PM
Giygasminion posted...
I'm fine either way. I just want to explore an immersive, intriguing game.

Same. Having both would be better, and may happen if what was said at E3 is true.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#49andrea987Posted 7/1/2014 12:16:49 PM
Because Wii U needs a space exploration game, as, let's face it, it won't get Elite IV.
---
Now playing: Pocket Football Club, Dragon's Dogma, FIFA 14, NFS MWU, SM3DW
Just finished: Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, Deus Ex DC, Black Flag
#50MetroidJunkiePosted 7/1/2014 12:31:54 PM
Dersu_Uzala posted...
Other M should have played JUST like Ninja Gaiden with a greater emphasis on projectiles. It would have been easy not to screw it up.

Well, Team Ninja wanted to give it nunchuck controls so that it would play more like Ninja Gaiden but Sakamoto adamantly refused, shoe-horning in the awkward Wii-mote controls for the sake of nostalgia. If there's something that was used in older games that make it unnecessarily frustrating to play that more recent changes in technology have fixed, don't stick with the older method just because you want to replicate the frustrations of the past. Some things are better off leaving behind.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.