Why a new Metroid Prime over a third-person Metroid?

#51MellowLyricist(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 1:24:00 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Dersu_Uzala posted...
Other M should have played JUST like Ninja Gaiden with a greater emphasis on projectiles. It would have been easy not to screw it up.

Well, Team Ninja wanted to give it nunchuck controls so that it would play more like Ninja Gaiden but Sakamoto adamantly refused, shoe-horning in the awkward Wii-mote controls for the sake of nostalgia. If there's something that was used in older games that make it unnecessarily frustrating to play that more recent changes in technology have fixed, don't stick with the older method just because you want to replicate the frustrations of the past. Some things are better off leaving behind.

That makes little sense to me since he still insisted on making us turn the Wii Remote upright to aim.
---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born
#52Nerreltron9000Posted 7/1/2014 5:57:29 PM
I really don't want to go back to a Samus who can't run or jump. 3rd person all the way.

The Prime games were great,but it's been far too long since Samus has actually controlled like Samus. Other M didn't get it quite right, but it was a step in the right direction.
#53MetroidJunkiePosted 7/1/2014 6:30:42 PM
MellowLyricist posted...

That makes little sense to me since he still insisted on making us turn the Wii Remote upright to aim.

Yeah, I honestly don't know what Sakamoto was thinking half of the time. He even refused to have the Gravity Suit be purple, despite it being a tradition dating back to Super Metroid. Hopefully, Nintendo has a good long talk with him before they start on the next one. As much as I respect him for co-creating the franchise, he seems like the biggest obstacle to making a good Metroid game right now. He needs to have his ego deflated a bit and realize it's not all about him, it's about the fans too.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#54Nerreltron9000Posted 7/2/2014 1:25:44 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Hopefully, Nintendo has a good long talk with him before they start on the next one.

He's not making any more. He confirmed himself that his only future role in the series will be as an adviser, similar to his role from the Prime games.

I think it's sad that someone who designed nothing but great Metroid games up until Other M (which I think is still a good game) has been shamed out the series by a bunch of whining, overreacting "fans." We'll probably never get a sidescroller on the level of Super/Fusion/Zero Mission again because of it.
#55AceMosPosted 7/2/2014 2:19:32 PM
Nerreltron9000 posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
Hopefully, Nintendo has a good long talk with him before they start on the next one.

He's not making any more. He confirmed himself that his only future role in the series will be as an adviser, similar to his role from the Prime games.

I think it's sad that someone who designed nothing but great Metroid games up until Other M (which I think is still a good game) has been shamed out the series by a bunch of whining, overreacting "fans." We'll probably never get a sidescroller on the level of Super/Fusion/Zero Mission again because of it.

no it was not a good game

its story was garbage and full of plot holes

it lacked the trademark exploration that the franchise its self invented

it reduced the first fgemale game hero to a battered house wife

none of its new bosses where memerable

its combat was broken to sense move dodgin
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#56MetroidJunkiePosted 7/2/2014 2:23:32 PM
Nerreltron9000 posted...

Other M wasn't anywhere near Super/Fusion/Zero in terms of quality and it's an insult to those games to even put it in the same breath. Sakamoto's problem is he was arrogant enough to think he knew better than the fans and didn't even acknowledge Team Ninja's concerns. I was hoping he could get a second chance since he still co-created the series but hopefully being an adviser will humble him.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#57Epiphone1589Posted 7/2/2014 3:15:04 PM
The metroid prime trilogy was FANTASTIC, as are the side scroller metroids. I think a new Metroid Prime for Wii U could be great, and I think they would be able to utilize the tablet greatly. My only gripe with the first person view is how difficulty it is to capture Samus's acrobatic nature. I'm just not sure how they could implement her spin jumps etc in a first person view. I guess they could just shift out to 3rd person when you're doing jumps, in the same way it does when you go into morph ball mode... hmm..
#58MetroidJunkiePosted 7/2/2014 3:21:34 PM(edited)
Epiphone1589 posted...
I'm just not sure how they could implement her spin jumps etc in a first person view. I guess they could just shift out to 3rd person when you're doing jumps, in the same way it does when you go into morph ball mode... hmm..

Ever played Echoes or Corruption? You get the screw attack and that's exactly how they do it, with third person. You can even grab onto specific ledges that way. Of course, Prime's screw attack is very limited, only 5 spins and you get out of it if you hit anything. Maybe they could modify it so it's still the same third person view but acting more like the Space Jump and Screw Attack on the 2D games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATZ8XbBuGQQ#t=08m48s
---
#59Nerreltron9000Posted 7/2/2014 3:36:06 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Sakamoto's problem is he was arrogant enough to think he knew better than the fans and didn't even acknowledge Team Ninja's concerns.

Stupid developers, thinking they know how to do their job of 30 years better than random people on the internet. Aonuma should listen to what the fans want and make Twilight Princess 2 with hyper realistic visuals and gore, right?

And he did acknowledge Team Ninja's concerns. 2D Metroid's control style had a certain feel that only the D-pad could provide. Instead of just using the analog stick because it was easier, he felt the D pad could be made to work in any situation with the right camera and level designs and directed Team Ninja to follow that approach.

He wasn't ignoring their opinions, he was making sure that the product consistently adhered to a particular vision. That's what the job of a lead developer is.

I personally don't get what the big deal is with the D-pad. Is it that ****ing hard? Did you really have that many problems playing it? Of course some sections would have controlled better with a stick, but considering how often the game plays like a sidescroller, many others would have controlled worse.
#60AceMosPosted 7/2/2014 3:40:03 PM
Nerreltron9000 posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
Sakamoto's problem is he was arrogant enough to think he knew better than the fans and didn't even acknowledge Team Ninja's concerns.

Stupid developers, thinking they know how to do their job of 30 years better than random people on the internet. Aonuma should listen to what the fans want and make Twilight Princess 2 with hyper realistic visuals and gore, right?

And he did acknowledge Team Ninja's concerns. 2D Metroid's control style had a certain feel that only the D-pad could provide. Instead of just using the analog stick because it was easier, he felt the D pad could be made to work in any situation with the right camera and level designs and directed Team Ninja to follow that approach.

He wasn't ignoring their opinions, he was making sure that the product consistently adhered to a particular vision. That's what the job of a lead developer is.

I personally don't get what the big deal is with the D-pad. Is it that ****ing hard? Did you really have that many problems playing it? Of course some sections would have controlled better with a stick, but considering how often the game plays like a sidescroller, many others would have controlled worse.

the d pad fails for 3D movement this was proven back in the N64 with its thumb stick

but i notice you ignored my other post where i pointed out svrl flaws with other M

so you are just here to troll
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*