Why a new Metroid Prime over a third-person Metroid?

#71MetroidJunkiePosted 7/3/2014 11:08:35 AM(edited)
The only real limitation to Samus in the Prime games was that she couldn't float off to infinitum with the Space Jump like she could in the 2D games and that would be very hard to do in open 3D environments without just slapping invisible barriers everywhere. Apparently, though, they had trouble getting the speed booster to function with first person which is why it was never used. Maybe they could've gone the screw attack route and just had the camera go third person when you start to build up speed. They should do that in the next Metroid game if it ends up being first person.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#72nonexistingheroPosted 7/3/2014 11:19:46 AM(edited)
I don't get TC's complaint... they've confirmed that there's 2 Metroid games in development and that 1 of them will be in the Prime-style. This means that the other one will have a different type of gameplay, most likely more akin to the classic one (or Other M, which was basically a 3D version of the classic one in many ways).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#73MetroidJunkiePosted 7/3/2014 11:38:15 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
I don't get TC's complaint... they've confirmed that there's 2 Metroid games in development and that 1 of them will be in the Prime-style. This means that the other one will have a different type of gameplay, most likely more akin to the classic one (or Other M, which was basically a 3D version of the classic one in many ways).

Making 2 for the same system, particularly both announced at once, would seem very unusual so I suspect one of them will be for the Wii U and the other for the 3DS.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#74nonexistingheroPosted 7/3/2014 12:37:57 PM
Doesn't really change the fact that only one of them is like Prime.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#75MetroidJunkiePosted 7/3/2014 12:40:28 PM
I wasn't arguing with that, just adding speculation. If I had to guess, they'd put the Prime styled one on the Wii U and the other on the 3DS. Given the Prime games were praised for having very beautiful environments, the Wii U's horsepower would be more suited for it and the 3DS could get a 2.5-D Platformer with 3D backdrops.
---
#76slymshadyPosted 7/3/2014 3:37:15 PM
Would love if they made it play similar to Dead Space
#77chex81Posted 7/3/2014 4:59:06 PM
Remake the Prime series in HD with Gamepad capability, in addition to Prime 4. Separately sold, day 1 purchases.
---
XB1/WiiU: chex81
soundcloud.com/purple_i
#78Nerreltron9000Posted 7/3/2014 6:48:27 PM
darkjedilink posted...

Uhhh, Samus could both run AND jump in the Prime games.

I don't know what you're trying to get at, so either you've never played the Prime games and are trolling, or you don't know how good controls work.

Juju_Architect_ posted...

WTH are you talking about? Samus runs, jumps, morph-balls, screw-attacks, wall-jumps, morph-ball jumps, spider-balls and everything in Metroid Prime games.

You're both being very generous to call that running. Metroid Prime Samus walks briskly at best. Even without considering the speed booster, the speed Samus moves at is dramatically slower.

Jumping was similarly in an entirely different league. Samus could somersault jump to great heights, wall jump off of any surface, and space jump across any distance or height. She was one of the most acrobatic and agile characters in gaming history.

Once again, you're both being very generous to imply that the limited platforming the Prime games had was anything at all like the platforming from the older games. It's not. I'm amazed that you're trying to claim otherwise. The platforming in the Prime trilogy was specifically limited to accommodate the fact that jumping just simply doesn't work well in first-person.

Wall jumping and the screw attack are especially good examples of how little the Prime games actually have in common with the older games. You could only "wall jump" when you found a specific set of panels, of which there were only 3-4 per game, and it consisted of pressing A a few times while watching a slow, clumsy animation of Samus flipping back and forth.

The wall jump panels were just a contrived attempt to incorporate a classic move into a 1st person game that had no place for it, and it's a complete joke compared to the old games. You can't honestly claim that wall jumping was in the Prime games with a straight face.

The space jump wasn't much better. Samus could only jump 5 times in a straight line with no height changes. It at least served more of a purpose than the wall jumping panels, but it's still an extremely limited and contrived version of the original space jump.

I'm not blaming the Prime games for falling short when it comes to these abilities. There just isn't a way to get them to work in 1st person. If there were, I'm sure Retro would have found it. I love the Prime games and I've played all three of them several times, but in some ways, they're nothing like the older Metroids.

If you think I'm wrong, go back and play Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission again and then tell me that Samus runs just as fast and jumps just as well in the Prime games. Or that Prime's wall jumping and space jump weren't stupidly limited shells of their past incarnations. I'll wait.
#79BillysanPosted 7/3/2014 11:09:32 PM
Nerreltron9000 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Uhhh, Samus could both run AND jump in the Prime games.

I don't know what you're trying to get at, so either you've never played the Prime games and are trolling, or you don't know how good controls work.

Juju_Architect_ posted...

WTH are you talking about? Samus runs, jumps, morph-balls, screw-attacks, wall-jumps, morph-ball jumps, spider-balls and everything in Metroid Prime games.

You're both being very generous to call that running. Metroid Prime Samus walks briskly at best. Even without considering the speed booster, the speed Samus moves at is dramatically slower.

Jumping was similarly in an entirely different league. Samus could somersault jump to great heights, wall jump off of any surface, and space jump across any distance or height. She was one of the most acrobatic and agile characters in gaming history.

Once again, you're both being very generous to imply that the limited platforming the Prime games had was anything at all like the platforming from the older games. It's not. I'm amazed that you're trying to claim otherwise. The platforming in the Prime trilogy was specifically limited to accommodate the fact that jumping just simply doesn't work well in first-person.

Wall jumping and the screw attack are especially good examples of how little the Prime games actually have in common with the older games. You could only "wall jump" when you found a specific set of panels, of which there were only 3-4 per game, and it consisted of pressing A a few times while watching a slow, clumsy animation of Samus flipping back and forth.

The wall jump panels were just a contrived attempt to incorporate a classic move into a 1st person game that had no place for it, and it's a complete joke compared to the old games. You can't honestly claim that wall jumping was in the Prime games with a straight face.

The space jump wasn't much better. Samus could only jump 5 times in a straight line with no height changes. It at least served more of a purpose than the wall jumping panels, but it's still an extremely limited and contrived version of the original space jump.

I'm not blaming the Prime games for falling short when it comes to these abilities. There just isn't a way to get them to work in 1st person. If there were, I'm sure Retro would have found it. I love the Prime games and I've played all three of them several times, but in some ways, they're nothing like the older Metroids.

If you think I'm wrong, go back and play Super Metroid, Fusion, or Zero Mission again and then tell me that Samus runs just as fast and jumps just as well in the Prime games. Or that Prime's wall jumping and space jump weren't stupidly limited shells of their past incarnations. I'll wait.

Well you originally said she can't run and jump in Prime. People were telling you that she can.

I think everyone is well aware that a 2-D game allows for a much more acrobatic style of gameplay.

But Prime Samus is a lot more agile than what you initially exaggerated.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 3DS FC:4914-2847-6766
#80MellowLyricist(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2014 4:06:48 PM(edited)
nonexistinghero posted...

If they make a Prime-like game and a side-scroller, that leaves no room for a 3rd person Metroid game. It's not a complaint. I think the Prime games were very good (apparently more than the lead designer himself did: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/ex-metroid-prime-dev-thinks-his-games-suck ). I would just rather see the series evolve into more, which it most certainly can. This post gives good examples why a first-person perspective is limiting:

Nerreltron9000 posted...
[...] You're both being very generous to call that running. Metroid Prime Samus walks briskly at best. Even without considering the speed booster, the speed Samus moves at is dramatically slower.

I'm not blaming the Prime games for falling short when it comes to these abilities. There just isn't a way to get them to work in 1st person. If there were, I'm sure Retro would have found it. I love the Prime games and I've played all three of them several times, but in some ways, they're nothing like the older Metroids. [...]

---
Children, send me back home
For this is the reason you were born