Question about TV Screen and WiiU

#1xjerichoPosted 7/1/2014 10:39:13 AM
Hi there,

I've noticed something with my WiiU that I'm sure is an easy fix I just don't know how. On my TV, not my gamepad, when I play certain games (basically VC games) when they go black and then there is something colored the screen is dim and then starts to light up. This is especially noticeable on games like Super Metroid and Punch Out that have very dark screens between levels etc.

It doesn't happen when I watch TV regularly and it doesn't happen when I play a regular WiiU game like Rayman or Zelda. I'm thinking its something to do with energy saving or something along those lines unless there's some kind of VC settings I'm unaware of.

Any advice is appreciated.
---
ME LIE!!.....NEVER, the truth is far too much fun! -Captain Hook
Pokemon Y - FC: 3866-8110-4014 (wartortle/frogadier/krabby)
#2EoinPosted 7/1/2014 10:41:08 AM
It's probably a dynamic contrast setting on the TV. Many TVs have this kind of option and I've never seen a good implementation of it. It's probably simply called "Dynamic Contrast" but TV manufacturers are always relabelling things to make them sound fancier so it might be called something else.
#3xjericho(Topic Creator)Posted 7/1/2014 3:18:28 PM
See I originally thought it was a TV thing, but would it really only affect the visuals on the VC and not the WiiU games or regular tv channels? Its just weird to me.

I'll check it out though, thanks for the tip.
---
#4EoinPosted 7/1/2014 11:16:52 PM
It definitely wouldn't only be affecting VC games, but it may be that it is only noticeable (or most noticeable) on VC games. Dynamic contrast modes take an average of the brightness of the screen and automatically increase it for bright scenes and decrease it for dark ones. On most modern games, crash-transitions from black screens to bright ones aren't really very common. On VC games, not only is that kind of transition more common, but the colours will probably tend to be brighter and a large portion of the screen will remain dark, making the change more noticeable.

If you're still unsure and have a laptop or a computer that you can hook up to the TV, then you should be able to find out very fast whether it's the TV or not, as dynamic contrast is very obvious when switching browser tabs between a light and dark website.
#5Granadico_Posted 7/2/2014 12:00:28 AM
That happens to me too, its like a buncha andom pixels that light up for no reason in dark areas. idk how to fix it
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#6xjericho(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2014 5:14:56 PM
Hey I figured it out!

So I checked all my video settings on the TV and I found Dynamic Backlighting (DCR) and Adaptive Contrast. I tried each one and Dynamic Backlight was the culprit. I have Insignia by the way in case that helps Granadico (or anyone else reading).

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction Eoin. It may have been a minor nuisance but I'm happy its fixed.
---