From Sakurai's column in Famitsu, Miyamoto asked for Pac Man in Brawl (Article).

#21AhnoldDoodPosted 7/3/2014 7:14:59 AM
Spookyryu posted...
This game is epic because Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pacman will fight each other, for those who are too young doesn't understand why is a huge deal having him on the roaster

Ah, the classic Roast of Pac-Man.
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg
#22SpookyryuPosted 7/3/2014 7:17:44 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
Spookyryu posted...
This game is epic because Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pacman will fight each other, for those who are too young doesn't understand why is a huge deal having him on the roaster

my phone corrected, sorry
#23AhnoldDoodPosted 7/3/2014 7:20:37 AM
Spookyryu posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
Spookyryu posted...

my phone corrected, sorry

It's all good.
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg
#24pillsburyboy22Posted 7/3/2014 7:21:58 AM
Yoshinator posted...
DeathSnipe777 posted...
Yoshinator posted...
I shoulda known he was behind this

Why do they even let him near games after Sticker Star?

wat

There was this game called Paper Mario Sticker Star that was going to be awesome until Miyamoto came along and was like "What's this? Characters? Story? Humor? FUN!?! GET RID OF IT! I WANT NSMB THE RPG!" and then forced them to remove everything good about the series and make the blandest game possible.

This actually isn't true at all. What happened was the developers of Intelligent Systems were struggling to come up with ideas and settings for the story so they went to ask Miyamoto for help. Miyamoto told them that a good Mario game doesn't have to have a good story. The developers then said "F*** it" and basically got rid of the entire story.

It wasn't that Miyamoto forced them to get rid of the story, it was that the developers took Miyamoto's advice too much to heart.
#25DMZappPosted 7/3/2014 11:57:33 AM
pillsburyboy22 posted...
Yoshinator posted...
DeathSnipe777 posted...
Yoshinator posted...
I shoulda known he was behind this

Why do they even let him near games after Sticker Star?

wat

There was this game called Paper Mario Sticker Star that was going to be awesome until Miyamoto came along and was like "What's this? Characters? Story? Humor? FUN!?! GET RID OF IT! I WANT NSMB THE RPG!" and then forced them to remove everything good about the series and make the blandest game possible.

This actually isn't true at all. What happened was the developers of Intelligent Systems were struggling to come up with ideas and settings for the story so they went to ask Miyamoto for help. Miyamoto told them that a good Mario game doesn't have to have a good story. The developers then said "F*** it" and basically got rid of the entire story.

It wasn't that Miyamoto forced them to get rid of the story, it was that the developers took Miyamoto's advice too much to heart.

I... don't remember IS ever saying anything about struggling with story ideas. And I got from the Iwata Asks interview for SS that Miyamoto wasn't actually offering them a choice.

That said, wanting Pac-Man in SSB4 was a good idea of Miyamoto's.
---
3DS Friend Code 2664-2654-8959
My Best Pokemon Y Battle: 75LG-WWWW-WWW4-RRCZ
#26arvilinoPosted 7/3/2014 12:36:44 PM(edited)
DMZapp posted...

I... don't remember IS ever saying anything about struggling with story ideas. And I got from the Iwata Asks interview for SS that Miyamoto wasn't actually offering them a choice.

That said, wanting Pac-Man in SSB4 was a good idea of Miyamoto's.

Actually Miyamoto was just suggesting that the game doesn't necessarily have to have a story and would be fine without one. The person in charge of the script already agreed with him, with the reasoning that as a portable games are typically played in smaller chunks, a lengthy story isn't necessary.

Iwata

That project came together because of that idea. Kudo-san, you were in charge of the script, so what did you think about whether a story was really necessary or not?

Kudo

I originally saw it in a way that's similar to Miyamoto-san. Personally I think all we need is to have an objective to win the boss battle at the end of the game. I didn't think we necessarily needed a lengthy story like in an RPG. Instead, we looked at the characteristics of a portable game that can be played little by little in small pieces and packed in lots of little episodes and ideas. I always did like putting in little ideas, so I actually enjoyed it.

I'd agree, if someone wanted to play for 15 minutes, loaded up the game and then had to sit through a typical console RPG scenes there would be sessions where they wouldn't actually do any gameplay. Trying to put a console style game on a handheld isn't always a good idea unless it's already suited to shorter pick up and play sessions.

Pacman in Smash Bros is also a good call from Miyamoto.
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#27R_HunterPosted 7/3/2014 12:25:23 PM
Spookyryu posted...
This game is epic because Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pacman will fight each other, for those who are too young doesn't understand why is a huge deal having him on the roster

Exactly. I wish I could build a time machine, so I could go back and high five my four-year old self.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#28iKhanicPosted 7/3/2014 12:28:32 PM
Yoshinator posted...
Avirosb posted...
Yoshinator posted...
You must've misread. He didn't want to remove Pac-Man, he wanted to add him.

I know, that's what makes it so awful.

Pac-Man is probably the most uninspired and overrated character ever.

Mickey Mouse says hi.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#29iKhanicPosted 7/3/2014 12:29:09 PM
Also, DAMMIT HIGUCHI HAVE A BACKBONE AND ASK SAKURAI FOR LLOYD.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#30squatch22Posted 7/3/2014 12:31:27 PM
Yoshinator posted...
Avirosb posted...
Yoshinator posted...
You must've misread. He didn't want to remove Pac-Man, he wanted to add him.

I know, that's what makes it so awful.

Pac-Man is probably the most uninspired and overrated character ever.

Ah, new user troll account
---
900p/30fps-The NEXT GEN POWER of 5GB GDDR5 RAM http://i.imgur.com/IHonJ8U.jpg
Pacman/Ms Pacman are racist, sexist and homophobic http://goo.gl/csNghm