From Sakurai's column in Famitsu, Miyamoto asked for Pac Man in Brawl (Article).

#31EzioAuditore947Posted 7/3/2014 12:37:37 PM
Pac Man in Smash? What's the point? He'd only have one eat attack, with a power pill as his Final Smash. And that eat attack should be his walking animation anyway.

Who next, Q-Bert?
---
And so, with mere seconds to act, I knelt down and punched it to death. It was the most exhilarating experience of my life. - BTB
#32R_HunterPosted 7/3/2014 12:37:46 PM
iKhanic posted...
Mickey Mouse says hi.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4006256384/hC1AF766C/
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#33derekfishbowlPosted 7/3/2014 12:49:28 PM
I love that Pac Man is in Smash. He is one of the most popular characters in video game history. Before Mario came along, everyone had Pac Mania. He was ubiquitous. Books, clothing, art, and whatever were all littered with Pac Man in the early 80's. Even if he's not so popular these days, you have to respect him since he holds such an important part in the history of our hobby.
---
Sony's E3 2014 megaton (courtesy of Megaman Omega):
http://img248.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=350248936_strengthmitten_122_82lo.jpg
#34iKhanicPosted 7/3/2014 12:55:19 PM
R_Hunter posted...
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4006256384/hC1AF766C/

I can't stand Mickey Mouse. His original cartoons aren't funny, his voice is annoying, and only two remote interesting characters to come out of his franchise are Goofy and Donald Duck because of their own various media.

I don't know how he became a cultural icon, but that seems to be the only reason he's even recognized today.

In that regard I guess he's similar to Pac-Man. The difference is that Pac-Man's original incarnation was good, while Mickey Mouse's wasn't.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#35pokemega32Posted 7/3/2014 12:56:34 PM
Yoshinator posted...
There was this game called Paper Mario Sticker Star that was going to be awesome until Miyamoto came along and was like "What's this? Characters? Story? Humor? FUN!?! GET RID OF IT! I WANT NSMB THE RPG!" and then forced them to remove everything good about the series and make the blandest game possible.

He said "Does it need a story?" The developers then supposedly based their decision to have minimal story on Club Nintendo surveys.

He challenged them to use only already existing Mario characters. They used like six of them. There were a ton of others they could have used.

He told them not to make it a port of TTYD. He had nothing to do with the gameplay beyond that.
---
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
#36R_HunterPosted 7/3/2014 1:01:58 PM
I...fair enough IKhanic. Fair enough.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#37iKhanicPosted 7/3/2014 1:03:42 PM
R_Hunter posted...
I...fair enough IKhanic. Fair enough.

I'm aware my opinions are unique.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#38MetroidJunkiePosted 7/3/2014 1:04:27 PM
Now all we need is Flynn Taggart and we'll have a melting pot of nostalgia. Final Smash? BFG.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#39AkaneJonesPosted 7/3/2014 4:55:37 PM
Spookyryu posted...
This game is epic because Mario, Sonic, Mega Man and Pacman will fight each other, for those who are too young doesn't understand why is a huge deal having him on the roaster

Now all we need is Bomberman to complete that triangle. What? Bonk, no no no, big headed cave children aren't big enough. Clearly Bomberman is the key. That's all Hudson need representing that side of the coin.

Oh still we can imagine a fight between Hori Taizo, Sayo-chan, Twinbee, and Goemon but...
(And the relevance outside Japan is a bit shot)
#40NintendoLover25Posted 7/3/2014 5:05:33 PM
I never would have imagined back in the 90s that there could be a game with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man together; truly a mindblowing deal we have here. Good to see Miyamoto was thinking of it before, I like his train of thought.