People aren't looking at the bigger picture with Zelda U

#1o___OkamiPosted 7/3/2014 10:29:52 AM
Zelda U has been confirmed as a non-linear open-world game. Open-world games are generally a staple in western-gaming, in much the same way that 2D fighters are Japan's domain and shooters are the west's domain.

Could this mean that Nintendo may modernize itself with more western practices? Could we see a greater emphasis on social online play? Could Nintendo actually start caring about storylines some day?

I'm rather looking forward to Nintendo trying to play catch up with Western developers.
---
They called you exotic. Which is just people talk for awesome. Which you are.
http://i.imgur.com/2DNHw1n.jpg?1
#2NiftyManZPosted 7/3/2014 10:31:40 AM
Weren't the DQ/W and FF games
open world a few years back?
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#3nonexistingheroPosted 7/3/2014 10:33:06 AM
NiftyManZ posted...

Haven't played DQX, but none of the other ones are open world.
Not a single FF game is open world, unless you count MMORPG's as open world games (which makes FFXI and FFXIV open world).
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#4SlimeSwayzePosted 7/3/2014 10:34:35 AM
Well, we still haven't seen any real gameplay for Zelda, so it's kind of hard to see the big picture about a game that we haven't seen with our own eyes.

NiftyManZ posted...

DQVIII is still the best open world game I've ever played from a Japanese developer (unless you count Dark Souls, but it's not really "open world" as much as an interconnected world). Anyway, i think it's an absolute travesty that we haven't seen a proper sequel to DQVIII on an HD console.
---
Currently Playing: LoZ: Minish Cap, Torchlight 2, and Ys: Memories of Celceta.
#5AhnoldDoodPosted 7/3/2014 10:35:45 AM
o___Okami posted...
Could this mean that Nintendo may modernize itself with more western practices?

ITP: Westerners created open world, non-linear games. Huh? What's the original Zelda and A Link Between Worlds?
---
http://jp7.r0tt.com/l_b29b5cc0-d1af-11e1-a806-4f908e000007.jpg
#6nonexistingheroPosted 7/3/2014 11:00:21 AM(edited)
SlimeSwayze posted...
Well, we still haven't seen any real gameplay for Zelda, so it's kind of hard to see the big picture about a game that we haven't seen with our own eyes.

NiftyManZ posted...

DQVIII is still the best open world game I've ever played from a Japanese developer (unless you count Dark Souls, but it's not really "open world" as much as an interconnected world). Anyway, i think it's an absolute travesty that we haven't seen a proper sequel to DQVIII on an HD console.

DQVIII is not open world. It has a big world you can explore, but you are restricted by level in your exploration.
Dark Souls also isn't open world. But it is non-linear and pretty open.

Anyway, both of them have rather open worlds with a ton of things to see and do, but they're not quite open world games. Same can be said for Xenoblade Chronicles. Not that it's a bad thing though, real open world games come with a lot of restrictions in terms of challenge.

Just look at the recent A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. It's not really open world, but it did give us a taste of what an open world Zelda would be like. As a result, dungeons were short, pretty easy and didn't require a lot of tools. Usually just the 1 or 2 tools you needed to get in, then just the wall drawing ability. It's one of my concerns with the new Wii U Zelda being an actual open world game.

But yes, I agree that it's pretty stupid we haven't had a more traditional DQ game since VIII on a console. DQX... I don't even know what they were thinking. They tried to go into that direction with the DS game and changed it back because of a lot of complaints from the fans. Then they make DQX an MMORPG... no wonder it didn't sell well.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7fon1988Posted 7/3/2014 11:03:17 AM
o___Okami posted...
I'm rather looking forward to Nintendo trying to play catch up with Western developers.

That is the very last thing Nintendo needs to do.

They don't need to release glitchy, unfinished games with on disc dlc, and patches galore. They need to continue being Nintendo and Western developers need to PRAY they can ever be in the same league.
---
NNID/Gamer Tag: PoisonShroom
Currently playing: Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, Kirby Triple Deluxe
#8Granadico_Posted 7/3/2014 11:07:09 AM
Open world games aren't a problem, its that every friggin game is open world now that is the problem. Zelda is open world since its inception pretty much, so its fine.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#9Street_OverlordPosted 7/3/2014 11:08:37 AM
I don't think modernizing this series for the western world was at all what they had in mind.

When the game was previewed at the E3 online show, the devs said they had wanted to make a Zelda game like this for a very long time.
#10SlimeSwayzePosted 7/3/2014 11:11:16 AM(edited)
My favorite memories of DQVIII are exploring the entire area once you have the ability to fly. You definitely don't have access to the entire world from the beginning, but it is a big open world once you have access to all of it. I actually prefer that type of design, since it feels like the design is more deliberate. And after all, practically every open world has varying levels of restrictions at the beginning in terms of where you can and cannot go.

Anyway, to some extent it is semantics, but I still consider DQVIII open world, but obviously it is not a sandbox. That's where I see the distinction between something like DQVIII and other open world titles like GTA, Just Cause, or even Infamous (which I'd call a sandbox, albeit an empty one).

As far as Zelda goes, I'd actually prefer to see some limitations at first, just not to the extent of DQVIII. I'd still want there to be some areas I can't access straight from the beginning. I don't think Zelda needs to turn into a sandbox. 3D Mario, on the other hand...
---
Currently Playing: LoZ: Minish Cap, Torchlight 2, and Ys: Memories of Celceta.