Why do most Wii games look so bad on my Wii U on an HD TV?

#1Nintendocore64Posted 7/4/2014 7:14:05 AM
I understand that this should be expected, but one of my friends has an HD TV that makes Wii games look amazing on them. Whereas on mine, most games look worse than if I were to play them on an SD TV, with extremely obvious jaggies everywhere. From what I've played, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Kriby RTD look absolutely horrible, and it's a shame, really. However, the one game that actually looks really good is Kirby's Epic Yarn. It looks amazing on my TV when played on a Wii U, almost like it's actually in high definition.

Is this an issue that I can't really solve due to my TV?
---
3DS FC: - 0404 6384 7451
ACNL: Lefty of Termina
#2DaLaggaPosted 7/4/2014 7:22:12 AM
Wii games are generally going to look best on an SDTV because there's no scaling involved. Don't play them on an HDTV if you can avoid it.
#3KiurxPosted 7/4/2014 7:23:08 AM
Have you tired the same games on your friends tv and compare them. I know you said it looks amazing but he could have different games that just appear better on his tv.
---
FC : 0318-6717-0940
Rank of the F*** club : Daemon's Persian
#4XenoFFvsPosted 7/4/2014 7:43:24 AM
Kiurx posted...
Have you tired the same games on your friends tv and compare them. I know you said it looks amazing but he could have different games that just appear better on his tv.

This.

On HD, games like skyward sword and mario galaxy dont look too bad while others like xenoblade and the last story look like ass.
---
Sytems Owned: NES, GEN, SATURN, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GC, Wii, PS3, 360, Wii U, PS4, OUYA, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS, VITA.
#5_kybalion_Posted 7/4/2014 7:59:14 AM
XenoFFvs posted...
Kiurx posted...

This.

On HD, games like skyward sword and mario galaxy dont look too bad while others like xenoblade and the last story look like ass.

Exact opposite for me. Skyward Sword looks REALLY bad, Twilight Princess as well. Xeno actually looks ok for me.
#6Crystal_DreamPosted 7/4/2014 8:00:43 AM
I could be wrong, and most likely am but...
Aren't Wii games scaled for 480?
So even if outputted as 1080, or even 720, would make them look worse?
---
"Petals dance for our valediction and synchronize to your frozen pulsation...
Swirling wind sings for our reunion and 9.8 is my acceleration." - Mili
#7SuigintouEVPosted 7/4/2014 8:20:46 AM(edited)
Nintendocore64 posted...
Is this an issue that I can't really solve due to my TV?

They're going to look bad either way, but it's possible your contrast etc are cranked up, which emphasizes jaggies. Try to do a quick THX movie calibration of your TV.

And yes, games like Smash Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy use antialiasing and look a lot better than games like Skyward Sword and Xenoblade, which are too low-res for HDTVs.

Beyond that, the following may be the source of difference Composite "yellow" cables have awful blurry picture quality that hides jaggies, whereas an HDMI cable + internal Wii U upscaling will not obscure anything.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#8PlaysaverPosted 7/5/2014 11:05:53 AM
I had heard that the problem with the Wii U playing Wii games was that the Wii U always renders a Wii game at 480 interlace rather then 480 progressive, even with Wii games that could do 480 progressive. If this is true then every progressive wii game on the Wii U is going to look worse then it should.
#9Thunderbird8Posted 7/5/2014 12:54:32 PM
Playsaver posted...
I had heard that the problem with the Wii U playing Wii games was that the Wii U always renders a Wii game at 480 interlace rather then 480 progressive, even with Wii games that could do 480 progressive. If this is true then every progressive wii game on the Wii U is going to look worse then it should.

This is incorrect. The Wii U will run Wii games at 480p before scaling them, except for those that don't support it. If you run a 480i game on a Wii U set to a higher setting, it'll be noticeable (I know Mega Man 9 is 480i). If the Wii U ran Wii games at 480i, it'd be pretty obvious with ALL Wii games, not just those that only run at 480i.
#10Wii_TruthPosted 7/5/2014 1:02:11 PM
The problem with a lot of HDTVs is that the standard definition picture quality is very poor. Skyward Sword is a jaggy mess on my 720p TV.
---
I, don't need a friend. I need to mend. So far away...