I will be getting a WiiU this weekend.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I will be getting a WiiU this weekend.
1 year ago#1
I'm finally taking the plunge. I read the above stickies, but would love any and all recommendations and criticisms. At this point in time I just want the WiiU for MK8. Though I'm sure I'll be purchasing more games in the future (SSB Yoshi's Yarn, etc) Thanks in advance!
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
AC:NL: Town: Repaupo, Mayor: Stoochy, Dream Address: 5600-2142-2397
1 year ago#2
Have fun. Mine is taking up all of my time.
Get Zelda or Pikmin as your free game!
---
Currently playing: Wind Waker HD, Pokemon X Wonderlocke
1 year ago#3
I can say I've put probably 5 times the hours into my Wii U than my PS4. And I had the PS4 a month longer.
Great system. It probably won't be my #1 forever, but as a Mario/Zelda/Metroid machine it does juuuust fine.
1 year ago#4
Thanks, guys. Anything about the system specifically I should know about? The sticky explained the touch pad much better than my previous understanding, but I would like to know a little bit more. The touch pad is basically optional, right? The WiiU itself is a home console, while the touch pad is for a second player, correct? The system is basically a Wii with a touch pad that acts almost like a second TV. That's my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks! :)
---
She was walking on a stage after the play was over. Who now could say it had ever happened.
1 year ago#5
nah- while some games offer a controller alternative, almost every game I've played expects the gamepad to be player one... it was strange at first because of the awkward controller but you get used to it...

I actually bought a pro controller which is a substitute for the gamepad in a few games, and found myself reaching for the gamepad instead after a couple of weeks.
1 year ago#6
WitchBaby4200 posted...
Thanks, guys. Anything about the system specifically I should know about? The sticky explained the touch pad much better than my previous understanding, but I would like to know a little bit more. The touch pad is basically optional, right? The WiiU itself is a home console, while the touch pad is for a second player, correct? The system is basically a Wii with a touch pad that acts almost like a second TV. That's my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks! :)

Nope!
Gamepad is your primary controller. It's on all the time and it plays all the games. You can send all the video to play it ON the gamepad, or you can use the Wii U Pro controller or Wiimote for games if you'd like.
But the Gamepad is THE controller.
1 year ago#7
The wii u is a great system though not without its flaws. It isnt as powerful as the ps4 or xbone. The gamepad battery isnt that great. The online isnt as robust as xbox live or psn. 3rd party support is pretty bad.

However, the system has some great titles ready to be enjoyed now and coming soon. The os for the system has gotten much better since launch as well. For me the wii u is worth owning for the games it does have and i am looking forward to the games coming soon. If you like nintendo 1st party stuff its great. Off tv is also an awesome feature.

Some games i reccomend are:
Mario 3d world
pikmin 3
Mario Kart 8
Wonderful 101
Monster hunter 3 U (though steep learning curve applies)
1 year ago#8
To your comment about it being a Wii, that is false in a way. It has similarities and the WiiU can play Wii games but I wouldnt look at it as the Wii. The Gamepad is basically a controller with a screen. Enjoy the console. I really like it and I suggest looking at Amazon for game deals. I also suggest ZombiU and W101.
---
Greatness comes from within
1 year ago#9
Wait for December sales
1 year ago#10
Oh I'm not purchasing it myself. My father wanted to buy me something for my BDay, and while I normally purchase everything myself (I'll be 32) I figured why dish out close to 300.00 when Daddy Dearest wants to buy me something? ;) Lol. Thanks so much for everyone's input. So say I want to use the Wii Wheel from MKWii. Can I do that? I appreciate everyone's honesty in saying the gamepad was a little weird to get used to at first. And that I shouldn't think of the WiiU as a Wii. Honestly when the system was first launched I was pretty damned confused about the whole thing. I stayed as far away from it as possible, but since the servers for Wii and DS are shut down and I can't play MKWii online anymore, or AC:CF, or whatever, I figured I might as well join the rest of WiiU owners. I think my main problem with the confusion was that I was truly thinking of the WiiU as a Wii and didn't understand the gamepad function at all. I can not thank everyone enough for all of their input. Seriously. I tried to have someone explain it to me previously and instead of explaining the gamepad functionality they just said I was "stupid" and asked why it didn't make sense to me. I'm definitely a child of the 80's. While I've joined the 21st century, technology in gaming and everything else never ceases to amaze me. The first time I ever had internet access was freshman year in undergrad. My first cell phone was sophomore year. Just to show my age. Lol. And my lack of understanding. I had the same apprehension towards the Wii when it was first released, too, but grew to absolutely love it. So I'm sure, as all of you have stated already, that I'll get my feet wet and then dive right into the Wii U craze. :) Again, thanks to all of you for your patience, experience, and taking time to explain all of this to a complete idiot. ;)
---
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I will be getting a WiiU this weekend.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived