Things Nintendo needs to do/not do for the next Console

#1Y SPosted 7/7/2014 3:26:43 PM
Here are a few things I think Nintendo should do or not do for the next console...

1: Name - They can call it anything just avoid the Wii name in the title it confused a lot of parents or casual gamers who passed on WiiU thinking it was an add on to Wii, also outside Japan [maybe them too] I don't know anyone who legit liked the Wii name over previous names.

2: Console - The console needs to be similar power to the then current consoles of the time so that 3rd parties don't have to think about downgrading games or using old tech. or passing the Nintendo console all together.

3: Controller - Like the Wii or WiiU Nintendo can do whatever they want for a new controller but they need to have a conventional controller like the WiiU Pro Controller and package it with every box so that 3rd parties know they can have a Nintendo version of their 3rd party games and not worry about control.

4: HDD - Customers need to have a bigger choice than just 32GB and they will surely pay the difference in price, they can easily have a cheap option for people who just want to play games on disc, but 32GB for a digital era is low.

5: Achievements/Trophies - People like these make a Nintendo version of them call them stars or stickers or whatever.

6: Online - There needs to be a cross generation/platform unified Nintendo online account, for example if I add currency or get an achievement or post on Miiverse I should be able to see it all on the next new console/handheld and all future hardware to come.

7: Backwards compatibility / Virtual Console library - If they will include backwards compatibility they should allow the previous controllers to work somehow [WiiU Game Pad too].

And Virtual Console Library needs to be up to date to at least the generation before the last one, so I should be able to insert WiiU discs into the console and play those but if the same cannot be done for Wii games then I should be able to buy all Nintendo games from NES to Wii on Virtual Console.

Also Virtual Console games need to include all Nintendo games, I don't see why I cannot play more GBA or DS games on WiiU or all NES to N64 games on 3DS, the choices need to be more, NES/GC games not on WiiU is also very very lame.

8: Franchises - If Nintendo is going to be slow on new IP they should at least do versions of all their big games and not skip on things like Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero/Earthbound etc, nobody is asking for Mario Party 10 for example.

9: Virtual Reality - Its a good idea and should stay an idea, if Sony fail at it don't try to do it better just let it die and keep it away from my games.

10: Stick to their own ideals and ignore any suggestion I or anyone else makes, it works for them but like the WiiU it might not take off as well, which is a shame since this gen WiiU has clearly the best games but not enough people are drawn to buy into it because of many reasons.

Agree, disagree, discuss....
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#2random_man9119Posted 7/7/2014 3:29:02 PM
Y S
5: Achievements/Trophies - People like these make a Nintendo version of them call them stars or stickers or whatever.

They have already started doing this with Stamps... Sure, they need a lot of improving... but they're a start
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dungeon Defenders,Rogue Legacy,CivilizationV,Guacamelee!STCE,Retro City Rampage
#3ADHDguitarPosted 7/7/2014 3:30:43 PM
random_man9119 posted...
Y S

They have already started doing this with Stamps... Sure, they need a lot of improving... but they're a start

Completely different. The whole point of an achievement system is that it's system-wide and game neutral. You can still have your in-game stamps and have a proper achievement system. Achievements are also completely ignorable if you don't like them.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#4CubeTVPosted 7/7/2014 3:31:30 PM
They need to have a singular controller. None of this "one controller for one game, another for another". It's really annoying.
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#5ADHDguitarPosted 7/7/2014 3:32:07 PM
CubeTV posted...
They need to have a singular controller. None of this "one controller for one game, another for another". It's really annoying.

Agreed. The controller situation is a complete mess. They need to simplify it.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#6random_man9119Posted 7/7/2014 3:32:54 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
random_man9119 posted...
Y S

Completely different. The whole point of an achievement system is that it's system-wide and game neutral. You can still have your in-game stamps and have a proper achievement system. Achievements are also completely ignorable if you don't like them.

That's why I said "they need a lot of improving... but they're a start"

To me, Stamps are just Nintendo's version Trophies/Achievements...
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dungeon Defenders,Rogue Legacy,CivilizationV,Guacamelee!STCE,Retro City Rampage
#7Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 7/7/2014 3:36:59 PM(edited)
ADHDguitar posted...
CubeTV posted...

Not only for gamers but 3rd party publishers/developers, pretty sure they look at the WiiU controller situation and pass on it for many reasons.
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#8Granadico_Posted 7/7/2014 3:37:14 PM
As long as they have their vision of whatever it shold be, and stick with it 100% and don't halfass the support of it, i'm fine with what they do most likely.
The only thing IMO Nintendo needs to work on is their online infrastructure, a better way to pump out more titles faster, and a way to entice more 3rd parties.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#9SonytendoPosted 7/7/2014 3:40:32 PM
1-4 Agree
5 I am anti-trophy. I don't want achievements standard
6&7 agree
8 Objectively false but I agree. People wanted, asked for and will buy MP10. People won't buy the next F-Zero/Starfox in the same numbers. Mario Party is just so awful I'd much rather have Mother 4.
9 Nintendo already has a few VR related patents and said they will join in when it's time.
10 Well this one makes the entire thread useless and I disagree strongly. They must always take input from others. The Wii U is what happens when it's all them.
#10Unown_201Posted 7/7/2014 3:48:35 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
CubeTV posted...

I think the recent patent about swappable buttons is likely to be used for the next console/handheld.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/nintendo-patents-handheld-swappable-buttons/

In theory it could be great, as long as they have a standard set of controls, you can customise the controller however you want, even change it for different games.

If you want extra assignable buttons for a certain game, add some. If you need an extra analog stick, add one. Just want a + pad and a few buttons for playing NES games? No problem...
---
Visit the unofficial Future of Gaming Board: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/572043-
Official board petition: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/7-/69354653