Nintendo Never Going To Make a "realistic" game?

#1QlJGamerPosted 7/9/2014 5:15:02 AM
Nintendo seems to be the only publisher who has yet to develop a Photo-realism game. I guess they are not trying to compete with SCEA in that field. But I would love to personally see a new IP from Nintendo that is not a cartoon like video game. Not saying that Nintendo doesn't make awesome games it just more awesome if they would try something new in art style. The new Zelda looks animeish so does Xenoblade and all the other games that have like humans lol. Nothing looks real, it just looks great as a video game. Kinda like Toy Story 3 doesn't look real but it movie lokkssssssssssssssss awesome.

We see Microsoft, Ubisoft,Sony and ect reach into the Nintendo field with Fable, LittleBig Planet and Rayman.

Could Nintendo beat Sony or Microsoft in making a realistic game? I do not think so. Maybe one day Nintendo will surprise me.

*sorry if I am using the wrong words, The type of game I am speaking of is Assassin Creed, Mass Effect, Uncharted...etc. type game.
---
guaranteed to meet or exceed the quality standards of the leading brand.
#2AvirosbPosted 7/9/2014 5:16:03 AM
QlJGamer posted...
Nintendo seems to be the only publisher who has yet to develop a Photo-realism game.
No I'm pretty sure none of the companies are quite there yet.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#3digiblasterPosted 7/9/2014 5:19:23 AM
Nintendo are better suited to the 'cartoon' graphics you mentioned. At the end of the day, the games that Nintendo make are best suited to that particular artstyle. Could you imagine a Mario game in the same style as something like CoD? It wouldn't look right.

The other thing about taking a non-realistic approach is that the graphics are timeless, i.e., they don't look dated 10-15 years later. Take a look at some old PS1 games that tried to go 'realistic'; they look terrible. On the other hand, Wind Waker was released in 2002 and still looks good (although the HD remake does blow it out of the water).

I'm not saying that realistic games are objectively worse than more artistic approaches, but Nintendo wouldn't make a realistic game just for the sake of it. It would have to suit the game that they're making, and at the end of the day they just don't make games like that.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#4random_man9119Posted 7/9/2014 5:19:29 AM
They probably don't because the know they don't need to...

Also, I think if they did... People would probably just try and say Nintendo's trying to copy everyone else...
---
NNID:MrOddities|SteamID:Mr.Oddities
Currently playing:Skyrim,Borderlands 2,Dungeon Defenders,Rogue Legacy,CivilizationV,Guacamelee!STCE,Retro City Rampage
#5YoshinatorPosted 7/9/2014 5:20:02 AM
They probably don't want to because it will just highlight how comparatively weak the Wii U is next to its competition

With the cartoony games, they can pretend it's intentional rather than a limitation of the hardware
#6AkaneJonesPosted 7/9/2014 5:21:21 AM
I'm just going to leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GVXtSPNVA
#7LinetrixPosted 7/9/2014 5:23:26 AM
Yoshinator posted...
They probably don't want to because it will just highlight how comparatively weak the Wii U is next to its competition

With the cartoony games, they can pretend it's intentional rather than a limitation of the hardware

Correct.
---
It's off-topic to talk about the online portion of TLoU. Only the single player campaign is allowed in TLoU's board. - GameFAQs mod
#8QlJGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 5:24:08 AM
AkaneJones posted...
I'm just going to leave this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GVXtSPNVA

Nintendo didn't develop this game.
---
guaranteed to meet or exceed the quality standards of the leading brand.
#9AvirosbPosted 7/9/2014 5:27:17 AM
Yoshinator posted...
??? But the hardware limitations were intentional.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#10GigerSupremePosted 7/9/2014 5:27:21 AM
kirby's epic yarn looks pretty photorealistic to me. it looks like actual yarn and paper crafts stuff.