Nintendo Never Going To Make a "realistic" game?

#101adjlPosted 7/9/2014 8:02:49 AM
Pikmin looks pretty photorealistic, even back on the GC. Sure, they've got fantastic creatures crawling/flying around that realistic-looking landscape, so it's not exactly a perfect simulation of reality, but it's close enough for me. Those are real-looking plants, rocks, and water, along with a whole bunch of random debris that does in fact seem to suggest that it's some weird post-apocalyptic version of our world they're running around in, since it's all real stuff.
---
This is my signature. It exists to keep people from skipping the last line of my posts.
#102FlyinTonitePosted 7/9/2014 8:03:48 AM
None of their franchises would do well with realistic graphics. Look at the final fantasy game in development, looks completely horrible with the realism and the weird anime hair just clashes horribly with the realistic environments. If Nintendo releases a series where realism is required it will have that style, till then shut up.
---
Life is tough, like real tough, like tough plus tough times tough to the power of tough.
#103GigerSupremePosted 7/9/2014 8:04:50 AM
MajinKogahazan posted...
There isn't really anything Nintendo could do with a realistic game anyway, most of it has been done and if they tried it would turn out as well as the efforts of their competitors , especially since I don't think most of Nintendo's fans care about realism.

Making a game realistic actually ends up limiting its potential to break the mold anyway.

beautifully illustrated.
#104Granadico_Posted 7/9/2014 8:05:32 AM
I was at like the 2nd to last line when i realized i shoulda used Goleneye instead but i got lazy haha
And i actual do think SM64 tried to look realistic compared to BK. Its hard to compare them cuz ones a launch title and one was very late in the cycle, but i feel like SM64 tried to go for the realistic look. Same with OoT
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#105MetroidJunkiePosted 7/9/2014 8:09:50 AM
MajinKogahazan posted...
There isn't really anything Nintendo could do with a realistic game anyway, most of it has been done and if they tried it would turn out as well as the efforts of their competitors , especially since I don't think most of Nintendo's fans care about realism.

Making a game realistic actually ends up limiting its potential to break the mold anyway.

How does making a game realistic limit what you can do with it? Haven't you ever seen movies? They tend to look realistic since they have to use real actors for the most part but they manage to have plenty of variety. Having a realistic art-style in no way limits what you can do with it, that would have more to do with whether you want to make the mechanics realistic. There are plenty of games with a more realistic style that in no way conform to reality, such as Fallout 3 and Bioshock.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#106Ambassador_KongPosted 7/9/2014 8:10:28 AM
Look, if you want "realistic" games there are two consoles and PCs to feed those urges. If you want games that put game play first, buy a Wii U.

/thread
---
Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People
Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.
#107BrokenChaos666Posted 7/9/2014 8:11:48 AM
Don't know, don't care. I like the styles they go with for their games. Not everything needs to be realistic to be enjoyed.
#108MetroidJunkiePosted 7/9/2014 8:13:31 AM
Ambassador_Kong posted...
Look, if you want "realistic" games there are two consoles and PCs to feed those urges. If you want games that put game play first, buy a Wii U.

/thread

You make it sound like having good game-play and realistic graphics are mutually exclusive concepts, I'm sick of this stereotype that Nintendo fans don't care about graphics even a little. You don't think they add to the experience at all? That we're better off just not improving the hardware period?
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#109Granadico_Posted 7/9/2014 8:15:18 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
Ambassador_Kong posted...
/thread

You make it sound like having good game-play and realistic graphics are mutually exclusive concepts, I'm sick of this stereotype that Nintendo fans don't care about graphics even a little. You don't think they add to the experience at all? That we're better off just not improving the hardware period?

I think its more like, XB1, PS4 and PC already share many games and are very similar. We'd rather have some diversity in the lineup.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#110MetroidJunkiePosted 7/9/2014 8:17:26 AM
Granadico_ posted...

I think its more like, XB1, PS4 and PC already share many games and are very similar. We'd rather have some diversity in the lineup.

Can't you say the same for cartoony games? There's certainly no shortage of those, either, so I'd say it's a moot point. Who said realistic games have to conform to what's on the XB1, Ps4, or PC? You can have realism without going for brown apocalyptic wasteland.
---