Nintendo Never Going To Make a "realistic" game?

#141justdontaskPosted 7/9/2014 10:29:28 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
kanto_wanderer posted...
I hope they never do. "Realism" is the bane of artistic creativity in my opinion.

Says who? Realism doesn't have to be gritty or dark, there are plenty of real life examples that are very beautiful.
There's plenty of variety in the real world, so why can't realistic graphics offer that same variety?

gun-metal colored weapons, lasers, fire, and explosions dont blend well with bright, colorful scenery like what you posted. Sony and MS dont get games like that because their audiences dont want that. Nintendos audience wants bright colors, so Nintendo gives em bright colors.

its not rocket science. if it aint broke, dont fix it.
---
i rarely return to topics i post in, if you have a problem with my posts, PM me.
i do track topics i create for a few days.
#142zeroroutePosted 7/9/2014 11:10:02 AM(edited)
The mother/earthbound games have a realistic feeling to them in a sense. Not just the present-day setting in 1 and 2, but all three have very believeable characters.I don't care if the graphics aren't meant to be realistic, but very realistic themes are in them.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#143zeroroutePosted 7/9/2014 11:09:15 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#144Rennik RepotsirPosted 7/9/2014 11:12:52 AM
There you go again... sigh...
---
FREE BUMP!!!
Nothing personal... I'm just bored...
#145QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/9/2014 11:17:59 AM
I don't seem to recall any whining about Stick of Truth being "cartoony".
#146PannerPosted 7/9/2014 11:26:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxocE1xHr9E

Disaster: Day of Crisis
There you go. Nintendos realistic game.
---
My Youtube vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5BZ91u4U3n8m9L_wykcsw/feed?activity_view=3
#147CovenantPosted 7/9/2014 11:46:02 AM
MetroidJunkie posted...
You make it sound like having good game-play and realistic graphics are mutually exclusive concepts

They aren't mutually exclusive, but they strongly inhibit each other.

Having realistic graphics means you need to spend a lot more money on the project. Spending significantly more money on a project means that the development cycle and risk both have to be reduced in order to make it a smart business move. Less opportunity to take risks and less time to develop the game leads to worse gameplay.
#148thedarklordx3Posted 7/9/2014 1:30:42 PM
Sir_Haxor posted...
I'm more baffled by the people who think "cartoony" graphics require less processing power than "realistic" ones.

A brown and grey texture is not more taxing on hardware than a red and yellow one. The worse thing is the people who post this aren't even trolling, they really believe it.

they mean that lower quality cartoony graphics are far less noticeable than lower quality realistic graphics

the double edge of that sword is that the 1080p HD remake of WW barely looks any different.
---
I'm back to LoL for now (I also like maplestory and cabal online)
my internet is garbage again, but I'll try to manage and get my MMO fix.
#149thedarklordx3Posted 7/9/2014 1:32:08 PM
Covenant posted...
MetroidJunkie posted...
You make it sound like having good game-play and realistic graphics are mutually exclusive concepts

They aren't mutually exclusive, but they strongly inhibit each other.

only in indie games.

the souls series and dragon's dogma and devil may cry and bayonetta and ninja gaiden all have legendary gameplay and good graphics
---
I'm back to LoL for now (I also like maplestory and cabal online)
my internet is garbage again, but I'll try to manage and get my MMO fix.
#150CovenantPosted 7/9/2014 8:35:59 PM
thedarklordx3 posted...
I didn't read your post at all, but decided to quote it and respond with inanity that misses the point entirely.

Okay.

I really like the part where you decided to point out examples of games that have high budgets and, in your opinion, good gameplay even though the first four words of my post were that good gameplay and good graphics are not mutually exclusive.