Media Create Week 27

#11arvilinoPosted 7/9/2014 7:04:25 AM
Evilcrachitt posted...
Wait, what's so important about Yo-Kai Watch 2?

Massive amounts of pre-orders, people on Neogaf think it might sell 1 million in Japan in the first week when its took just less than a year for the 1st game(which saw a huge boost when the Anime was released and has an insane amount of merchandise sales).
---
'The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time.'
3DS: 2449-4649-4995
#12DTY3Posted 7/9/2014 7:08:45 AM
Also ew. Mario Kart 7 is barely on the list. Stop buying that game, Japan. get MK8.
#13TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 7:09:08 AM
I also don't know why Level 5 isn't localizing Yo-Kai Watch, or Nintendo isn't doing it for them. It probably has the potential to sell good numbers in the US, too, particularly if they're thinking about dubbing the anime.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#14EoinPosted 7/9/2014 7:26:46 AM
Evilcrachitt posted...
Wait, what's so important about Yo-Kai Watch 2?

The original game was released a year ago and has stayed at or near the top of the charts for most of that time. The standard in Japan is for games to release to a huge first week and then slide down the charts, disappearing after a few months at most. A game that sticks around for a year is unusual.

In the case of Yo-Kai Watch, it's just this week become Level-5's best-selling game in Japan, having passed a million a few weeks ago (million-sellers are not very common in Japan). It has its own comic and TV series as well, with a movie to come.
#15Hercik1Posted 7/9/2014 7:30:19 AM
Terotrous posted...
I also don't know why Level 5 isn't localizing Yo-Kai Watch, or Nintendo isn't doing it for them. It probably has the potential to sell good numbers in the US, too, particularly if they're thinking about dubbing the anime.

They are probably waiting for the anime to come out. Let's be honest without the Pokemon and yugioh shows they never would have been as popular as they are now. This game only has a real chance of success in the west if the anime comes over as well.
#16EoinPosted 7/9/2014 7:34:31 AM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
It's interesting to note that Mario Kart 8 bump for Wii U sales is almost identical to the one Pikmin 3 gave last year.

Yes - I think this indicates that they were both bumps due to people who had intended to buy the system at some point anyway being pushed towards that purchase due to the release of a new game. Circumstances were similar enough as well - a summer release after a long drought of releases for the system.

I would probably expect the Wii U's sales profile for the rest of the year to approximately match last year's - with maybe higher sales towards the Autumn (which last year was dismal). It doesn't seem like MK8 has had any notable permanent effect.
#17TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 7:37:32 AM
Eoin posted...
It doesn't seem like MK8 has had any notable permanent effect.

We can't really say yet. It does seem to be holding the momentum a little longer than it did with Pikmin 3, so it may not drop back as far. The system also doesn't have quite as long to wait for another game, Hyrule Warriors is coming out quite soon and that should sell good numbers (especially in Japan, where Dynasty Warriors is huge), then after that there's Smash.
---
#18TomoEK9Posted 7/9/2014 7:41:58 AM
Terotrous posted...
Eoin posted...
It doesn't seem like MK8 has had any notable permanent effect.

We can't really say yet. It does seem to be holding the momentum a little longer than it did with Pikmin 3, so it may not drop back as far. The system also doesn't have quite as long to wait for another game, Hyrule Warriors is coming out quite soon and that should sell good numbers (especially in Japan, where Dynasty Warriors is huge), then after that there's Smash.

MK8 is a much more demanded title than Pikmin, I expect sales to drop back to roughly where they were before, maybe slightly above. It didn't drop back down as fast because of the higher demand for MK8 compared to Pikmin.

Its going to take more than one, two or three titles to prop up the Wii U. Hyrule Warriors and Smash will both provide similar boosts in sales which will then drop back down shortly after.
#19TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 7:43:19 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
Its going to take more than one, two or three titles to prop up the Wii U. Hyrule Warriors and Smash will both provide similar boosts in sales which will then drop back down shortly after.

If you can hold a boost for around 2-3 months, that just means you have to keep releasing games people want every couple months to remain in "boosted" state constantly.

The sales should also just gradually rise over time as the system builds up a better library, all systems work like that.
---
#20TomoEK9Posted 7/9/2014 7:45:41 AM
Terotrous posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

If you can hold a boost for around 2-3 months, that just means you have to keep releasing games people want every couple months to remain in "boosted" state constantly.

The sales should also just gradually rise over time as the system builds up a better library, all systems work like that.

Unfortunately Nintendo hasn't been able to get releases out like that, its been a lot of time between games that keep deflating console sales.

While sales should rise, they have been relatively stagnant with the Wii U, which once again is because its library of games has been growing very slowly.