Media Create Week 27

#21EndgamePosted 7/9/2014 8:50:36 AM
welcome back to the sub 10k club, Wii U

and MK8 continues to sink fast, and yet, it's still in fourth place? the top seller this week sold under 45k? wow, gaming really is dying off in Japan

"Undead & Undressed"? eww.....

Let's be honest without the Pokemon and yugioh shows they never would have been as popular as they are now.

lol

1. Pokémon got the anime BECAUSE the games were such a widespread success

and more importantly.....

2. the anime almost ensured Pokémon never made it outside of Japan, remember the infamous "Porygon episode"? yeah..... that damn thing (which was Pikachu's fault, not Porygon, Porygon's the victim, the scapegoat here since it was the star of the episode, but it was very much Pikachu who caused the flashing) almost ended the franchise as a whole

3. as for YGO, it was a successful manga series before it was an anime series OR a TCG series
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#22TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 8:55:04 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
Unfortunately Nintendo hasn't been able to get releases out like that, its been a lot of time between games that keep deflating console sales.

They've got it for the next few months at least. Between Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros, they should do decently well through the rest of the year. Of course, it would be nice if they could continue this in 2015, but we won't know much about that until we find out when games like Splatoon, X, and Zelda are coming out.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
http://whatliesbeyondnovel.blogspot.ca/ - My novel, updates weekly
#23TomoEK9Posted 7/9/2014 8:56:52 AM
Terotrous posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
Unfortunately Nintendo hasn't been able to get releases out like that, its been a lot of time between games that keep deflating console sales.

They've got it for the next few months at least. Between Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros, they should do decently well through the rest of the year. Of course, it would be nice if they could continue this in 2015, but we won't know much about that until we find out when games like Splatoon, X, and Zelda are coming out.

Well Nintendo can't prop up the Wii U all on their own. Other consoles manage to get through the months due to healthy sales on 3rd party games. Nintendo really doesn't have anything to help them between releases of their own games.

Hyrule Warrios and Smash will create spikes for them. I honestly don't see Bayo2 selling massive amounts.
#24SSJ4CHRISPosted 7/9/2014 9:07:37 AM
Why do the fanboys here keep assuming Bayonetta 2 is going to be such a boon for the Wii U's sales?
---
The Internet allows us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history. With the possible exceptions of Handguns and Tequila!
#25TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 9:10:01 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
Well Nintendo can't prop up the Wii U all on their own. Other consoles manage to get through the months due to healthy sales on 3rd party games. Nintendo really doesn't have anything to help them between releases of their own games.

It's hard to say. The total volume of output of the "major" third-parties has definitely dropped substantially from previous gens, so even PS4 is starting to experience significant droughts now. The games that are releasing in volume these days are indie games, and Wii U is getting great support from indie developers, though it's not clear if that will really have a significant impact now that PC gaming is becoming more prominent.

I definitely think things are going to change in a big way for the console industry. At least Nintendo has a stable roster of proven sellers that should help carry them through whatever turbulence lies ahead.

Hyrule Warrios and Smash will create spikes for them. I honestly don't see Bayo2 selling massive amounts.

The original Bayonetta has gotten pretty good word of mouth in the years following its release, and it doesn't have as much competition in the Action genre on Wii U, I think it has the chance to do fairly well. Of course, not every game will boost console sales on its own, but continuing to release games should at least help maintain existing sales momentum.
---
#26TomoEK9Posted 7/9/2014 9:16:49 AM
Terotrous posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

It's hard to say. The total volume of output of the "major" third-parties has definitely dropped substantially from previous gens, so even PS4 is starting to experience significant droughts now. The games that are releasing in volume these days are indie games, and Wii U is getting great support from indie developers, though it's not clear if that will really have a significant impact now that PC gaming is becoming more prominent.

I definitely think things are going to change in a big way for the console industry. At least Nintendo has a stable roster of proven sellers that should help carry them through whatever turbulence lies ahead.

The original Bayonetta has gotten pretty good word of mouth in the years following its release, and it doesn't have as much competition in the Action genre on Wii U, I think it has the chance to do fairly well. Of course, not every game will boost console sales on its own, but continuing to release games should at least help maintain existing sales momentum.

Well I think for the PS4 and Xbone, a lot of companies are still developing back for the PS3 and 360 as well, which cuts into the total amount of resources they have for projects. Once support for those consoles end, there will be a boost in titles for the PS4 and Xbone. These consoles aren't even through their first year yet so there is still a lot of time for a library to be built up.

Bayo1 wasn't exactly a big seller, and even with minimal competition, I just can't see Bayo2 selling well at all. Maybe enough to cover its costs, but it won't be something that is amazing and a must-have.
#27EoinPosted 7/9/2014 9:40:18 AM
Terotrous posted...
We can't really say yet.

We can't say for certain. We can be almost certain though. The Wii U's sales in the four weeks before the release of MK8 were on average 7994 units per week (Famitsu, just to be clear which tracker I'm using, since my figures aren't going to match the Media Create ones above). This week system sales were 8020 units. That's a small enough difference that it's difficult to argue that sales haven't fallen back to the baseline.

Terotrous posted...
It does seem to be holding the momentum a little longer than it did with Pikmin 3, so it may not drop back as far.

It's close enough to Pikmin 3 that it's almost identical. I don't see where the idea that it's holding better is coming from. MK8 appears to have boosted sales higher relative to the Wii U's baseline than Pikmin 3 (19.4k units more than baseline over six weeks after release versus 16.7k for Pikmin 3), but only because the Wii U's 2014 baseline is lower than 2013's. If we take 2013's baseline and check MK8's first 6 weeks against it, there's a boost of just 11.3k units - lower than the Pikmin 3 boost.

Terotrous posted...
The system also doesn't have quite as long to wait for another game, Hyrule Warriors is coming out quite soon and that should sell good numbers (especially in Japan, where Dynasty Warriors is huge), then after that there's Smash.

Last year the idea was that there wouldn't be so long to wait for another game as well. Straight after Pikmin 3 there was Wonderful 101, which of course sold quite badly, and 11 weeks after it there was Wind Waker HD (which again sold quite badly, even by the lowish Japanese sales standards of the Zelda series). Hyrule Warriors is releasing 11 weeks after MK8 (same timeframe as between Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker). Hyrule Warriors should have more of an effect than both of those games combined, but we'll have to wait and see. Smash, at this stage, is still largely a hypothetical factor. We can't pinpoint a month, let alone a week, and some people will happily argue over the year.

In any case, the release of these games doesn't much change the permanency (or otherwise) of any MK8 boost.
#28TerotrousPosted 7/9/2014 9:42:44 AM
TomoEK9 posted...
Well I think for the PS4 and Xbone, a lot of companies are still developing back for the PS3 and 360 as well, which cuts into the total amount of resources they have for projects.

It's a reasonable argument, but I'm not really that convinced that this is the case based on what we're currently seeing on release lists. It's not like there's a ton of big games coming to PS3 that aren't coming to PS4. There's a few, like Tales of Zestiria, but there's a few on the other side too (FF15, KH3, Project Cars, etc) and a lot of the big games are going to be available for both.

PS3 is probably hurting consumer adoption of PS4 (by virtue of having a more established library and a cheaper price), but it doesn't seem to be holding developers back all that much.

Bayo1 wasn't exactly a big seller, and even with minimal competition, I just can't see Bayo2 selling well at all. Maybe enough to cover its costs, but it won't be something that is amazing and a must-have.

Bayo1 still gets a surprisingly large amount of discussion for a game of its age and sales. It seems like it's starting to be acknowledged as a hidden gem for PS3 and 360, which sometimes translates into decent numbers for sequels. Nintendo is also pushing the game fairly hard, it's received a lot more coverage than the original game ever did.

I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't push huge numbers, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did, either. It's an unknown factor right now.
---
#29Hercik1Posted 7/9/2014 9:43:30 AM
Endgame posted...
welcome back to the sub 10k club, Wii U

and MK8 continues to sink fast, and yet, it's still in fourth place? the top seller this week sold under 45k? wow, gaming really is dying off in Japan

"Undead & Undressed"? eww.....

Let's be honest without the Pokemon and yugioh shows they never would have been as popular as they are now.

lol

1. Pokémon got the anime BECAUSE the games were such a widespread success

and more importantly.....

2. the anime almost ensured Pokémon never made it outside of Japan, remember the infamous "Porygon episode"? yeah..... that damn thing (which was Pikachu's fault, not Porygon, Porygon's the victim, the scapegoat here since it was the star of the episode, but it was very much Pikachu who caused the flashing) almost ended the franchise as a whole

3. as for YGO, it was a successful manga series before it was an anime series OR a TCG series

1. In America since we are talking about localization the games came after the anime premiere. The show started on September 8 while the games released September 28 the same year.

2. That episode has nothing to do with the game. The episode just never aired because of the controversy in Japan. I don't see how the two could relate.

3. Once again this is about localization chances and the popular manga you talk about didn't release until four years after the show started.

Maybe in Japan games don't need tv shows but in the west they do nothing but help the sales of a game. I mean most of the Saturday morning shows are nothing more then advertisement for games or toys. That's why regardless of the viewers they get if the merchandise doesn't sell the cancel the show. I will always miss you young justice.
#30EoinPosted 7/9/2014 9:46:04 AM
Terotrous posted...
If you can hold a boost for around 2-3 months, that just means you have to keep releasing games people want every couple months to remain in "boosted" state constantly.

Hardware sales of the Wii U dipped below their pre-Pikmin 3 level 3 weeks after the release of Pikmin 3. For MK8, it was the same - 3 weeks of unambiguous boost, followed by a return to levels below what had been seen just before release.

We definitely aren't talking about boosts that last 3 months here. Even the boost two weeks after launch is quite small (808 units above baseline for Pikmin 3, 2372 units for MK8). A game every 3 months isn't going to achieve very much.