Was releasing Pikmin 3 and W101 so close together a mistake?

#1teh1337gosuPosted 7/9/2014 5:35:41 PM
The games are nothing alike, one being a technical action game like Bayonetta and the other being an adventure game with RTS elements; but both games featured 100 characters in screen. Even before I bought W101 I was worried about it being similar to Pikmin, and I went for Pikmin first.

At the time I feel gamers looking to buy one if these two great games had the mindset of choosing one, and Pikmin 3 wins due to being an established Nintendo franchise.
---
How do you make that alcoholic chicken anyway?
#2mjc0961Posted 7/9/2014 5:37:05 PM
Nope. Nothing could help W101. It's a Platinum game and people know that Platinum is the opposite of quality.
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#3Granadico_Posted 7/9/2014 5:38:06 PM
No, their mistake was not marketting the hell out of that masterpiece of a game.
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#4KiurxPosted 7/9/2014 5:41:02 PM(edited)
Platinum develops games that don't attract to what the general audience thinks it's good. Heck even gamers question this game before playing it. And I feel like this could be said for the majority of platinum games.

Edit: I'm not saying platinum games are terrible , I love them, I'm just saying they don't look attractive to the mainstream audience,
---
FC : 0318-6717-0940
Rank of the F*** club : Daemon's Persian
#5Snow-DustPosted 7/9/2014 5:41:58 PM
mjc0961 posted...
Nope. Nothing could help W101. It's a Platinum game and people know that Platinum is the opposite of quality.

Clearly you never played a quality game before then

Kiurx posted...
Platinum develops games that don't attract to what the general audience thinks it's good. Heck even gamers question this game before playing it. And I feel like this could be said for the majority of platinum games.

Edit: I'm not saying platinum games are terrible , I love them, I'm just saying they don't look attractive to the mainstream audience,

Sadly it's so true. However, once you draw the first blood, you just cant get enough of Platinum games
#6CubeTVPosted 7/9/2014 6:20:25 PM
Granadico_ posted...
No, their mistake was not marketting the hell out of that masterpiece of a game.

This. At that time, Nintendo was pushing the 3D/2DS/Pokemon like the second coming of jesus. Not even a LEGENG OF ZELDA game was advertisef.
---
Owner of: Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo GameCube, N64, Gameboy Advance and a PS1.
Want: A better computer, a PS3 and a new PSP. Don't like the PS2 & Wii
#7Wii_TruthPosted 7/9/2014 6:31:34 PM(edited)
Yes. I think it detracted from the sales a little. The games are similar in a few areas (mostly aesthetically, although I realize Wonderful 101 is much more innovative.
---
Fatty made a funny!
#8SalsaSavantPosted 7/9/2014 6:29:51 PM
W101 isn't exactly a game that appeals to the mainstream. It appeals to a segment of the hardcore, which is a segment of a small segment. And Platinum has a bit of a mixed reputation with the hardcore to begin with.

It was doomed from the start.
---
For all your Smash speculation needs: A list of potential tie-in dates.
http://tinyurl.com/lgm2zhz
#9NovaLevossidaPosted 7/9/2014 6:48:42 PM
If it was a mistake, it would have been on the Pikmin 3 delay rather than any fault of W101.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#10Sticky_TailsPosted 7/9/2014 6:51:27 PM
Platinum games are overrated to hell and back. They are good but usually have large flaws that hold them back on top of generally poor pacing. They deserve their niche status.