Was releasing Pikmin 3 and W101 so close together a mistake?

#21trenkenPosted 7/10/2014 8:26:15 AM
It doesnt matter. Pikmin was never popular in the U.S. (major gaming market), and W101 is a new IP with strange gameplay (to many people), so neither really had any chance at helping the U very much. They could have easily not released either at all, and U sales would probably still be pretty close to where they currently are.

Ive honestly never played a truly great Platinum game. Bayo1 was alright, but I never felt it was as good as that xbox ninja gaiden game. That Raiden game on the PS3 was freaking terrible. I gamefly'd it, the controls were so awkward and the game was absurdly short. I played it for 2.5 hours on a saturday, did a check on the board to see how far I was and found out I was about halfway through the game! Sent it right back to gamefly.

W101 isnt a bad game, its just an excellent game, and the U desperately needs excellent games, games on the level of Metroid Prime quality. I know those games are rare, but the U just severely needs them right now, and I dont see any coming. Not another safe Smash sequel, or Bayo2, or another Yoshis Island game, or a Mario level editor. It needs major landmark games.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#22EoinPosted 7/10/2014 8:34:18 AM
Yes. I think there's a tendency to considerably overestimate the amount of information that reaches the buyer of any particular game. There was lots of information available about the game, but too much of it was information that had to be actively sought out (by someone choosing to watch a Nintendo Direct or play the demo).

Many people who heard about the game heard the name, and that was all.

The ones who looked for information probably didn't look much further than the page on Amazon, where they got two paragraphs, some bullet points, and some screenshots - all of which made the game sound a bit like Pikmin.

However, it's important to note that its proximity to Pikmin 3 was just one of the many issues that prevented TW101 from selling well (or even respectably). If it had been moved a few months back or even if it had been ready for launch instead of Pikmin 3, it would still have been the textbook example of a niche game.