Why is Wii U the worst seller in America but best seller in Japan?

#1STN79Posted 7/9/2014 10:18:43 PM
Do american gamers not like fun or what? I really don't get why there's such a difference of opinion. Sure Japan is Nintendo's home ground but that can't be the only reason. If the gamepad is such a turn off around here why doesn't Japan see it that way? Maybe the whole hardcore violence and shoot em up Sony games are a bigger deal in the U.S. Can anybody make sense of this?
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#2KahrainPosted 7/9/2014 10:20:31 PM
Marketing.
---
=^.^= Mew.... CATS RULE!!!!
PSN: Kat_Ears_Kahrain
#3SuigintouEVPosted 7/9/2014 10:24:23 PM(edited)
STN79 posted...
Do american gamers not like fun or what?

American gamers are ashamed of fun. They'd prefer to mask it under the guise of violence, theft, movie-likeness, graphics, online cliques, etc so they can have fun while making it seem like they're not having fun.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#4R_HunterPosted 7/9/2014 10:25:21 PM
Different tastes in gaming.

That's it.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#5Granadico_Posted 7/9/2014 10:25:58 PM
Nintendo is the only console maker that makes pretty much only Japanese games.
Sony has become super western after the PS2
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#6Who_Dat504Posted 7/9/2014 10:31:56 PM
STN79 posted...
Do american gamers not like fun or what? I really don't get why there's such a difference of opinion. Sure Japan is Nintendo's home ground but that can't be the only reason. If the gamepad is such a turn off around here why doesn't Japan see it that way? Maybe the whole hardcore violence and shoot em up Sony games are a bigger deal in the U.S. Can anybody make sense of this?

The Wii U is doing horrible in Japan, in fact it is doing better in the US than Japan.
---
Saints, LSU, and Pelicans fan!
#7STN79(Topic Creator)Posted 7/9/2014 10:35:04 PM
Then how come so many gaming sites are saying Wii U is Japan's #1 selling console right now? I've been seeing articles about it all over the internet.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#8SushiSuplexPosted 7/9/2014 10:37:27 PM
Japanese games are usually the better ones. However I've played American games that have proven even Japanese developers can be lazy at times.
#9Darkwing EXEPosted 7/9/2014 10:47:15 PM(edited)
2 things
1) Americans in general are not as accepting to light-and-soft and fantasy as Japan is. Realism is more the speed in the States.
EX: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AmericanKirbyIsHardcore
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimationAgeGhetto

2) The WiiU is following the Wii, a system that left a lot of people (gamers and developers alike) jaded. Despite having some great games, the Wii didn't have as many real eye-catching games as say the PS3.
---
"That's the way it works. I, the star, take a beating; then muster uncommon strength, and win." -Haze Shenron
www.rockman-dash.com/1125.jpg
#10Who_Dat504Posted 7/9/2014 10:40:59 PM
STN79 posted...
Then how come so many gaming sites are saying Wii U is Japan's #1 selling console right now? I've been seeing articles about it all over the internet.

The Wii U is not the best selling home console in Japan this year, in fact the PS3 has sold more consoles in Japan this year then the Wii U.

Plus to show you how bad the Wii U is doing in Japan in sold around 43k in Japan for May, in the US it sold 60k in May.
---
Saints, LSU, and Pelicans fan!