[Sales Figures] Ubisoft shows how bad their sales have been on the Wii U

#51squatch22Posted 7/11/2014 2:20:55 AM(edited)
Cyrax2286 posted...
Wii U - GPU XBOX ONE - GPU PS4 - GPU
550MHz 853MHz 800MHz
5 CUs (320 ALUs) 12 CUs (768 ALUs) 18 CUs (1152 ALUs)
8 ROPS 16 ROPS 32 ROPS
16 TMUs 48 TMU 72 TMUs
0.35 TFLOPS 1.31 TFLOPS 1.84 TFLOPS
4.4 GPix/s 13.6 GPix/s 25.6 GPix/s
8.8 GTex/s 40.9 GTex/s 57.6 GTex/s
12.8GB/s DDR3 68GB/s DDR3 176GB/s GDDR5
(2GB shared with CPU) (8GB shared with CPU) (8GB shared with CPU)
(1GB reserved for OS) (3GB reserved for OS) (?GB reserved for OS)
2x70GB/s eDRAM (32MB) 2x109GB/s eSRAM (32MB)

Found this, though i don't know much about tech., can someone would explain?

PS4 RAM has 3GB reserved for OS too
---
900p/30fps-The NEXT GEN POWER of 5GB GDDR5 RAM http://i.imgur.com/IHonJ8U.jpg
Pacman/Ms Pacman are racist, sexist and homophobic http://goo.gl/csNghm
#52Cyrax2286Posted 7/11/2014 2:24:44 AM
I heard some say less/more, and/or that devs could ask for more, 1gb. Either way wasn't sure.
#53AvirosbPosted 7/11/2014 2:25:54 AM
Sales? Figures.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#54TrixonePosted 7/11/2014 2:26:02 AM
You guys are to computer engineering what Larry Flint is to standing up.
---
PS3 60 RIP | Slim | Vaio VGN-FE |
Playing: Dragon's Crown, RE: 6, USFIV - Samurai of Legend
#55RukumouruPosted 7/11/2014 2:31:40 AM
Boo hoo, Ubisoft. How about releasing a game that isn't a sub-par port? Red Steel 2 was very good.
#56Neo_HeartlessPosted 7/11/2014 2:36:02 AM
In a world where sales of games are frontloaded, are we really surprised that Ubisoft made almost no revenue from the WiiU when the only game they released was the digital only Child of Light? As fancy as the game looked, I highly doubt it sold well when you compare other games like Rayman which even then had a lot more presence. Factor in the once again missing DLC and there's little reason to get the game.

The real problem stems from a third party insistence on half-assing their business practices onto the WiiU. These days, is there really anyone who only owns the one console? I know I don't. Most people own a secondary console or a PC, and with the age difference most of those consoles will be a 360 or PS3. In that regards, why should people get the WiiU version of multiplat games, especially when they are deliberately missing content. On the other hand, PS4 and Xbone versions of games not only come with more content, but are actively described as the best version of their games. Indeed the only thing that mentions anything that Activision suggested the WiiU version of Black Ops 2 was the definitive version was an elaborate troll trying to call out Wii U owners for not purchasing the game.

Add in Gamerscore/Trophies and its easy to see why people are heavily reluctant to purchase what amounts to gimped copies of multiplats. Now I'll admit a lot of these problems can rest on Nintendo, but they aren't exactly problems they can solve. They can't order third parties to stop outsourcing their games and treat the console as at least an equal to the 360 and PS3. They can't make people abandon their gamerscores (although Microsoft did a pretty good job with their poor press). Third parties have actively sabotaged their games on the WiiU, from delaying games to missing content, all in the name of saving money. And hey, that's their right, but it also breeds a lot of resentment in the fanbase. It may sound petty, but gamers ARE petty. This forum is proof enough of that. The low sales of the WiiU are proof enough of that. People want what they like and screw everything else.

The problem is third parties aren't providing what people like on the WiiU. They're trying to force what other people like on it, with missing content, and then complaining when people don't buy it. It might be bad for Nintendo, but if this is the extent of third party support, I'd rather they not bother and save the money.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#57AvirosbPosted 7/11/2014 2:59:21 AM
Ubi, show me on this figure where the bad sales touched you.
---
Console wars are like pissing contests. So yeah.
#58EoinPosted 7/11/2014 3:35:15 AM(edited)
Neo_Heartless posted...
In a world where sales of games are frontloaded, are we really surprised that Ubisoft made almost no revenue from the WiiU when the only game they released was the digital only Child of Light?

The figures from this quarter are indeed inherently skewed towards the systems that Watch Dogs released on. This is why other time periods should be examined as well. Unfortunately, there's no reasonable comparison between the sales performances that ends up favouring the Wii U.

Neo_Heartless posted...
In that regards, why should people get the WiiU version of multiplat games, especially when they are deliberately missing content.

Why do people buy any particular version of a multiplatform game? Trophies? Online infrastructure? Friends with the same system? Best-looking? Cheapest? Out of those and any other reasons you can think of, which ones did Nintendo ensure were addressed when they released the Wii U?

Neo_Heartless posted...
Now I'll admit a lot of these problems can rest on Nintendo, but they aren't exactly problems they can solve.

They're not problems that they can solve now. They're problems that they should at least have attempted to solve while designing their new system. Third parties don't usually take it upon themselves to fix the mistakes of a first party.

Neo_Heartless posted...
Third parties have actively sabotaged their games on the WiiU, from delaying games to missing content, all in the name of saving money. And hey, that's their right, but it also breeds a lot of resentment in the fanbase. It may sound petty, but gamers ARE petty.

"Sabotage" is the wrong word, and you are very much aware of that. Third parties have budgeted their support to match sales expectations (or, for newer games, historical sales), and this has resulted in limitations.

However, this point is over-used and only barely begins to cover the poor reception that third party games have received on Wii U. There have been plenty of third party games that were feature-complete on Wii U and had zero or minimal delay compared to other systems, and yet which sold poorly anyway.

Neo_Heartless posted...
The problem is third parties aren't providing what people like on the WiiU. They're trying to force what other people like on it, with missing content, and then complaining when people don't buy it.

What do people "like on the Wii U" that third parties aren't providing?

The only obvious answer that I can see is "Nintendo games" and third parties aren't ever going to be able to provide those except in limited and exceptional circumstances (like Hyrule Warriors).

Third parties can't afford not to make their games multiplatform. Exclusives generally do not work. That means that the vast majority of the Wii U's third party library was inevitably going to consist of ports from Xbox 360, and Nintendo certainly weren't discouraging third parties from doing that.