Purchasing a WiiU for son.

#1kill2thisPosted 7/11/2014 1:13:23 PM
Hi guys, Looking to purchase a WiiU for my son he's 3 (I realise he's on the young side) it will be his Christmas present (literally out of ideas for anything else to buy him, being our first he has every toy under the Sun) he does fine with games on his iPad so I guess this is the next logical step.
Anyway it will be primarily for Disney Infinity (I've already purchased the starter kit and numerous figures already) but I'll be honest I've not followed WiiU so know very little about the console (premium/basic etc) I'm a PC gamer myself, so thought I'd ask your opinions if you don't mind:
1. Should I buy the premium console?
2. Are you aware of any other games that are marketed to an early age group?
If anyone has any other thoughts or input feel free.
For what its worth I did have an original Wii but felt I wasn't the target market so sold it years ago.
#2Granadico_Posted 7/11/2014 1:24:03 PM
1. Premium console really only matters if you're gonna buy eShop games. It comes with more memory, and has a promotion where for every $50 you spend on the eShop you get $5 back (but it lasts till the end of the year so it wo't matter to you unless they extend it)
2. Most Nintendo games are kid friendly, or at least look kid friendly.
-Nintendoland is a fun minigame compliation that's pretty simple for the most part.
-Super Mario 3D World is fun, and has an item that literally makes it impossible for yout o die unless you fall off the stage. Perfect for a young'n
-WWHD could be fun, he could jut walk around and do random crap for a while (though he obviously won't get very far)
-Mario Kart 8 is great
Wii u is also backwards compatible so if you see a Wii game he migiht like it'll still work with it (though you'll probably need a wiimote and possibly a nunchuck)
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#3SuigintouEVPosted 7/11/2014 1:32:14 PM
kill2this posted...
1. Should I buy the premium console?

Since the wind waker HD bundle comes with one, yes.

2. Are you aware of any other games that are marketed to an early age group?

Lego City Undercover
Duck Tales Remastered
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Shovel Knight
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Rayman Legends

If anyone has any other thoughts or input feel free.

Play games like Skyward Sword, Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Super Mario Galaxy, and Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2.
---
Hissatsu!!! Burst Spinning Giga Plasma Marble Screw Drill Maximum Tempest Break Punch - Pretty Arcshin Gurren Robo II
#4Granadico_Posted 7/11/2014 1:38:12 PM
Completely forgot about the Lego games. those are perfect too
and do you have any interest in playing the Wii U yourself as well? or its mainly for him
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Darksiders II (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#5KaetsuPosted 7/11/2014 1:40:53 PM
1. The premium console is better if you plan on downloading titles as it has a much larger hard drive then the basic model.

2. I'd give Rayman Legends and Super Mario 3D World a go. Although I've never played it, Skylanders is quite similar to Disney Infinity.
#6KarateJonsPosted 7/11/2014 2:01:39 PM
Hopefully you should invest in a screen protector or shock absorber for the Wii U Gamepad controller. It costs $180 to replace it if it's damaged, and retail doesn't sell it (yet, or possibly ever).

Alternatively, consider withholding the Wii U Gamepad controller from him (unless it's absolutely needed to play a certain game) and have him use the Wii U Pro Controller or Wiimote + Nunchuk. If he breaks a few of those, far easier to replace. Also watch out for chucking the Nunchuk at the TV and damaging it.
#7kill2this(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 2:08:30 PM(edited)
Really appreciate everyone's input so far. Like I said its pretty much exclusively for him, obviously he won't be playing on his own, myself or my wife will be with him. But I'd like it to be something that's "his" if that makes sense.

EDIT: Just checked through my cupboard I have a nunchuk and 2 remotes from the original Wii and a Gamecube Wavebird controller (the wireless one) I "think" I have a classic controller pro at my parents house from before I moved out.
Good call on the controller/screen protector, do you know of the best ones?
#8Pink_a_DinkPosted 7/11/2014 2:15:30 PM
You should buy the NSMBU bundle. It comes with Mario U and Luigi U and a Wii Remote I think. Since you said you have 2 remotes already. They're both fun nifty little platformers that the whole family can enjoy. I also suggest getting a party game. Something like Nintendo Land or Wii Party U (my recommendation).
---
My reaction when stupid people say stupid things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBVhfdduwfo
#9nitedawgPosted 7/11/2014 2:25:52 PM
If he's 3, skip Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It will be way too hard for him. It's on the hardcore side when it comes to platformer.
#10kill2this(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 2:26:37 PM
Pink_a_Dink posted...
You should buy the NSMBU bundle. It comes with Mario U and Luigi U and a Wii Remote I think. Since you said you have 2 remotes already. They're both fun nifty little platformers that the whole family can enjoy. I also suggest getting a party game. Something like Nintendo Land or Wii Party U (my recommendation).

That sounds quite good, I loved NSM on the DS. My wife was looking at "Wii U 8GB Console & Nintendo Land & Wii U Party" but I'm thinking now the premium may be worth it.
Ideally I just want him to be able to play Disney Infinity on Xmas day (like I say already have whats needed there I think) I know Xmas is quite a way off, but I'm waiting on a rather huge operation so want to make sure we have everything just incase something goes wrong.