Purchasing a WiiU for son.

#21ToozinPosted 7/11/2014 4:26:05 PM
Oh, if you're in England then you get like 5 more free games to chose from.
#22PS4alwaysPosted 7/11/2014 4:33:07 PM(edited)
kill2this posted...
Hi guys, Looking to purchase a WiiU for my son he's 3 (I realise he's on the young side) it will be his Christmas present (literally out of ideas for anything else to buy him, being our first he has every toy under the Sun) he does fine with games on his iPad so I guess this is the next logical step.
Anyway it will be primarily for Disney Infinity (I've already purchased the starter kit and numerous figures already) but I'll be honest I've not followed WiiU so know very little about the console (premium/basic etc) I'm a PC gamer myself, so thought I'd ask your opinions if you don't mind:
1. Should I buy the premium console?
2. Are you aware of any other games that are marketed to an early age group?
If anyone has any other thoughts or input feel free.
For what its worth I did have an original Wii but felt I wasn't the target market so sold it years ago.

No offence intended but if he's three you're jumping the gun a bit.

Personally I'd hold off for a couple of years and get him some traditional toys for that age range.
then in a few years buy him a console :)

Edit: just saw he has an ipad.. well that alone will keep him in games for the next 2-3 years easily.

3 yr old with an ipad.. oh my word :o
#23kill2this(Topic Creator)Posted 7/11/2014 4:42:24 PM(edited)
I agree it's definitely jumping the gun, there's reasoning behind it that I don't really want to get into.But no offence taken.

The iPad was actually recommended by one of his healthcare proffesionals, they've been doing private studies relating to iPad use and cognitive skills, he mainly does match up games, jigsaw style games along with flash cards mostly educational stuff, comes in handy when we're out somewhere rather than packing numerous items.
#24ToozinPosted 7/11/2014 4:57:37 PM
PS4always posted...
kill2this posted...
Hi guys, Looking to purchase a WiiU for my son he's 3 (I realise he's on the young side) it will be his Christmas present (literally out of ideas for anything else to buy him, being our first he has every toy under the Sun) he does fine with games on his iPad so I guess this is the next logical step.
Anyway it will be primarily for Disney Infinity (I've already purchased the starter kit and numerous figures already) but I'll be honest I've not followed WiiU so know very little about the console (premium/basic etc) I'm a PC gamer myself, so thought I'd ask your opinions if you don't mind:
1. Should I buy the premium console?
2. Are you aware of any other games that are marketed to an early age group?
If anyone has any other thoughts or input feel free.
For what its worth I did have an original Wii but felt I wasn't the target market so sold it years ago.

No offence intended but if he's three you're jumping the gun a bit.

Personally I'd hold off for a couple of years and get him some traditional toys for that age range.
then in a few years buy him a console :)

Edit: just saw he has an ipad.. well that alone will keep him in games for the next 2-3 years easily.

3 yr old with an ipad.. oh my word :o

What do you have against this man's son that you want to ruin his obviously awesome childhood? :(
#25kungfu123Posted 7/11/2014 6:26:04 PM
If you get a Wii U and you want he to start playing it on Christmas Day, you might wanna open it ahead of time and update it, it might take up to 3 hours depending on Internet speed and it might ruin his expire nice if it's not updated and he has to wait. I thinks it's mandatory for a ton of features too
#26chitowngamer85Posted 7/11/2014 8:07:07 PM
VoodooTrumpet posted...
He's three years old and already has an iPad and now you're getting him a Wii U? Jeez - why don't you teach him how to play outdoors.

Says the guy posting on a videogane message board
---
PSN/Nintendo: BigKurz. PS4/Wii U/PS3/Vita/3DS
Console wars are silly. Just enjoy the games! Try owning multiple systems, its enlightening.
#27KarinuiPosted 7/11/2014 8:16:24 PM
He's three years old. Why don't you just let him go play outside?
---
The flower carries a load of lies.
#28kill2this(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 4:44:31 AM(edited)
kill2this posted...

He does play outside, that's something we really promote. So much so we've resurfaced the rear garden with playground grade soft fall material. However we live in the North East of England it rains quite a lot. But thanks for your concern.

I reckon it should be fine updating it on Christmas Eve, we have a 150mbps download speed with no caps.
#29The_Hitman_UKPosted 7/12/2014 4:48:27 AM(edited)
Karinui posted...
He's three years old. Why don't you just let him go play outside?

Why don't you be quiet?

And also yes, get the premium console and pick up Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U and Wii Party U.
---
John Kerry: "You just don't in the 21st century behave in 19th century fashion by invading another country on completely trumped up pre-text"
#30brentendo3Posted 7/12/2014 7:15:12 AM(edited)
Lego City is pretty much video game crack for small children, so definitely get that if you can. He'll also like 3D World/MK8. Any other Lego game or Skylanders would be good too.

Aside from that, other games will probably be too hard, I'd gauge his skill level before getting anything else.