Does Earthbound WiiU VC hold up today?

#21StarmanJunior64Posted 7/14/2014 5:02:15 PM
favourite video game of all time.

Nuff said
---
Playing: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES), and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
#22Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 4:12:29 AM
StarmanJunior64 posted...

Nuff said

So better than all Zelda/Mario/FF/DQ/Superman 64 and everything ever made? That's seems like an oversell, but I am surely getting it on the 17th sale :)
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#23JurassicBondPosted 7/15/2014 4:21:34 AM
It all depends on if you like the humor/writing in the game. Gameplay wise it's one of the most dull RPGs out there, IMO.
---
Reading: Seed to Harvest - Octavia E. Butler
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#24Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 4:26:49 AM
JurassicBond posted...
It all depends on if you like the humor/writing in the game. Gameplay wise it's one of the most dull RPGs out there, IMO.

Have never really gone into a ROLE PLAYING GAME where I have firstly thought of gameplay tbh.
---
3DS = 4656-6629-1731 ---- PSN = Ysonline-4 ---- Steam = PixelEdged ---- XBOX = PixelEdged
#25sh0wnufPosted 7/15/2014 4:43:35 AM
StarmanJunior64 posted...

Nuff said

+1
#26NathanmgPosted 7/15/2014 4:47:33 AM
Music is crazy, writing is crazy, general flow of the game is crazy.

Definitely worth playing just for the WTF of it all.
#27sh0wnufPosted 7/15/2014 4:54:33 AM
Y S posted...
So better than all Zelda/Mario/FF/DQ/Superman 64 and everything ever made? That's seems like an oversell, but I am surely getting it on the 17th sale :)

Story wise, it's more engaging than any of the games you had mentioned... Characters are more human and identifiable than any of the other games IMO, and RPG wise it's solid turn based battles that don't feel as "grindy" as most of the genre.

I've played great games over the years, but this was the first RPG I found accessible (couldn't get into dragon quest and phantasy star was cool but waaay too backtrack happy). Sure nostalgia plays a role, but not as big of one as you'd think.

That said, not sure you'd call it your favorite of all time, since I have the benefit of being able to put it into perspective of what else was available to me at that time, and other games have come along and expanded upon what Earthbound brought to the table since then. It's short by today's RPG standards and no new game plus makes the reply seemingly short, but I've beaten Earthbound at least 8 times over the years, so there IS something that holds up here.
#28Y S(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 4:58:49 AM
sh0wnuf posted...
Y S posted...

Story wise, it's more engaging than any of the games you had mentioned... Characters are more human and identifiable than any of the other games IMO, and RPG wise it's solid turn based battles that don't feel as "grindy" as most of the genre.

I've played great games over the years, but this was the first RPG I found accessible (couldn't get into dragon quest and phantasy star was cool but waaay too backtrack happy). Sure nostalgia plays a role, but not as big of one as you'd think.

That said, not sure you'd call it your favorite of all time, since I have the benefit of being able to put it into perspective of what else was available to me at that time, and other games have come along and expanded upon what Earthbound brought to the table since then. It's short by today's RPG standards and no new game plus makes the reply seemingly short, but I've beaten Earthbound at least 8 times over the years, so there IS something that holds up here.

Fair enough, roll on 17th :) I will post back what I think of the game.

I think when this game came out I was very much into Final Fantasy 6 and getting hyped up for new consoles so I missed out then.
---