Why do Nintendo games never feature any notable black protagonists?

#51omniryuPosted 7/14/2014 8:12:20 PM
0xd3adface posted...
donkey kong, krystal, and...pretty sure there are some more

So blacks are animals?
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#52iKhanicPosted 7/14/2014 8:14:37 PM
omniryu posted...
0xd3adface posted...

So blacks are animals?

Yep. And so are whites.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#53omniryuPosted 7/14/2014 8:19:43 PM
iKhanic posted...
omniryu posted...
0xd3adface posted...

So blacks are animals?

Yep. And so are whites.

Which is a bs reply. Because had this topic started asking about whites nobody would of said donkey is a white. In fact why would you even say donkey kong is black? I knew some Nintendo fans were diehard but never thought to be racist.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#54WiiareVenomPosted 7/14/2014 8:19:51 PM
MetroidJunkie posted...
iKhanic posted...
Nintendo games tend to use a mix of anime tropes and invented races. So you'll see ambiguously light skinned characters mostly with some ambiguously dark skinned characters sprinkled in along with Mario, who's background is iconic.

Remember, Link, Samus, and Olimar aren't human. Kirby, DK, and the Pokemon aren't even humanoid

Could've sworn Samus was human with Chozo (and later Metroid) genetics spliced in. She's no more inhuman from that than the characters on Bioshock.

Also, aren't Hylians supposed to be humans, just with big ears so they can hear the goddesses/whatever?
---
"Its like Megaman and Castlevania had a baby and that baby got hit with a shovel." ~ Maverick_Reznor on Shovel Knight. Pokemon X FC: 5155 3151 4613.
#55WraithX_959Posted 7/14/2014 8:23:38 PM
Because most Japanese people are xenophobic racists?
#56ArabrockermanXPosted 7/14/2014 8:28:55 PM
How often does Nintendo come out with new IPs anyway at this point(at least ones that feature human characters)? It wouldn't hurt to do it to a game like Zelda but we all know the secret racist with in will come out when that does happen(I remember the small split in the Warhawk community when Starhawk had a black protagonist), so it kind of needs to happen to a new IP.
#57_SolidGear_Posted 7/14/2014 8:43:56 PM
omniryu posted...
iKhanic posted...
omniryu posted...
0xd3adface posted...

So blacks are animals?

Yep. And so are whites.

Which is a bs reply. Because had this topic started asking about whites nobody would of said donkey is a white. In fact why would you even say donkey kong is black? I knew some Nintendo fans were diehard but never thought to be racist.

I LOL'd so hard at this. Donkey Kong = Black Person? Really? Let's put racism aside, can you even tell the difference between an animal and a human being? I'd like to see if you can make the distinction between the two.
---
PSN: MPridefully XBL: iPridefully
http://www.youtube.com/user/iPridefully
#58Darkwing EXEPosted 7/14/2014 8:44:45 PM
shroom_ninja_X posted...
It would be fantastic to see a black-owned studio come out with some great games with memorable characters. Like a really well made RPG whose main protagonist just so happened to be black. One day...

(As much as I hate to sound pessimistic, I doubt that a Japanese studio is going to go out of their way to do this sort of thing very often)

We barely see American studios make games with a black main protagonist. Good ones at least.
---
"That's the way it works. I, the star, take a beating; then muster uncommon strength, and win." -Haze Shenron
www.rockman-dash.com/1125.jpg
#59Stanger5150Posted 7/14/2014 8:59:19 PM
Scientifically, race is a human construct. It's not even a legitimate way to classify people. I'm just as genetically identical to a black man as I am to a white man... and the human species as a whole came from Africa. The only separation I make as far as game characters is "human" and "non-human" (like Kirby and Yoshi). Seeing it any other way screams racism, even if one thinks their intentions are only for the sake of "equality". A lot of pain and bloodshed has been caused by the concept of "race", and we'll never get passed it as a species if we continue to use it as a defining characteristic beyond just a simple difference in skin tone, which is irrelevant.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#60CuteChihuahuaPosted 7/14/2014 9:00:05 PM
Only liberal infested America cares about race.
---
"Cartoon Theme songs. That's our thing, right Zach?" -Agent Francis York Morgan
Darwin was wrong.