Scammed and sold a broken wii u :( Anyone have knowledge on Nintendo warranty?

#41CarpetfluffPosted 7/15/2014 3:49:27 AM
Carpetfluff posted...
DarthZartanyus posted...
TC may not have proof but the logic speaks for itself. Think about it, why would somebody pay for something just so they could break it and then ask for their money back? It's not like TC is looking to make a profit here.

So yeah, go to the police. As long as whatever officer you speak to is even remotely competent you should be able to get your money back.

No one it suggesting that although coming from a retail background I have seen many cases where people bought something, regretted their purchase and thought breaking the item was the safest way to get a refund (often doing themselves out of the chance for the refund in the process), or simply where they've broken it accidentally and tried to claim under warranty. It happens a lot, and that's why the he'll find he needs to show it's not the case here.
#42R3blrth3dPosted 7/15/2014 3:54:58 AM
Honestly TC, I really feel bad for you, that's the reason why I always buy sealed games to other people, anyway I don't know how is on your country but on mine I would contact the platform where he was exibiting the product (this may not be his first time) and I would also go to the police station, just go there and explain the situation will cost you nothing. Worst case scenario you'll need to pay the repair yourself. Also always verify anything you buy to strangers. Best luck with that.
---
3DS FC:0232 - 8810 - 7526
#43DarthZartanyusPosted 7/15/2014 4:01:34 AM
Carpetfluff posted...
Carpetfluff posted...
DarthZartanyus posted...
TC may not have proof but the logic speaks for itself. Think about it, why would somebody pay for something just so they could break it and then ask for their money back? It's not like TC is looking to make a profit here.

So yeah, go to the police. As long as whatever officer you speak to is even remotely competent you should be able to get your money back.

No one it suggesting that although coming from a retail background I have seen many cases where people bought something, regretted their purchase and thought breaking the item was the safest way to get a refund (often doing themselves out of the chance for the refund in the process), or simply where they've broken it accidentally and tried to claim under warranty. It happens a lot, and that's why the he'll find he needs to show it's not the case here.

Well yeah, that would be the case if TC purchased this WiiU at retail.
---
Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment.
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: DarthZartanyus
#44JackalPosted 7/15/2014 4:29:24 AM
DarthZartanyus posted...

Or he could have tripped and dropped the package on the way home. Knocked the GP off the table by accident. Been trying to hack the used Wii U and messed it up, etc. All we know is what he is telling us. Nothing more. For all we know he is planning to sell the defective console on CL and is trying to see if people can get him for it. We just don't know.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#45furykiddPosted 7/15/2014 4:35:49 AM
I see a lot of comments about calling the police. I'm not saying it's not an option, but it could be a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Just contact Nintendo. Tell them your game pad is broken and you want it replaced for free. This was an issue with many wii u's. You'd be surprised how often a manufacturer is willing to bend over backwards to help a customer. If not, suck it up and buy a new game pad.

Also, don't be afraid to complain more if the first person at Nintendo says they can't help. I'm sure you can at least get a discount by the end of it.
#46HayashiTakaraPosted 7/15/2014 4:37:57 AM
Atelier_Ayesha posted...
Amakusa posted...
Call the police and take him to small claims court.

I only have his phone number. Do you think that can be enough?

A phone number can do many things... do you not watch movies? lol
#47Death_BornPosted 7/15/2014 4:43:00 AM(edited)
If the Wii U works fine but the gamepad doesn't, just buy a new gamepad, it's not worth the trouble of taking him to court unless the entire system was totally busted. Just don't buy stuff in an "unofficial" transaction, without testing it out first.

The police won't do anything because you have no evidence of whether you or him broke the Wii U and no photos taken beforehand showing the damage.
#48HayashiTakaraPosted 7/15/2014 4:41:01 AM
furykidd posted...
I see a lot of comments about calling the police. I'm not saying it's not an option, but it could be a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Just contact Nintendo. Tell them your game pad is broken and you want it replaced for free. This was an issue with many wii u's. You'd be surprised how often a manufacturer is willing to bend over backwards to help a customer. If not, suck it up and buy a new game pad.

Also, don't be afraid to complain more if the first person at Nintendo says they can't help. I'm sure you can at least get a discount by the end of it.

A. He's not a customer
B. The console is more than likely to be already registered to the crook
C. This is most likely a "Buyer Beware" situation where he's screwed no matter what he does, it's akin to buying something from a garage sale and expecting to get corporate level support and services.
#49xoftheuniversePosted 7/15/2014 4:46:32 AM
That site needs to be shut down... Between people getting ripped off like yourself, shot, killed, raped, and who knows what else, it's disgusting. As for Nintendo's warranty, they normally have a year warranty from the date of purchase, and after that if you register a system on Club Nintendo you can get a 90 day extension. I also agree with the previous suggestion of contacting law enforcement.
---
The following terms are used by the people they describe: fanboy, noob, scrub, kiddy.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#50MewonePosted 7/15/2014 4:58:18 AM
Some time in the meat freezer might make him cough up a refund. These things happen. :)
---
IndieGamers.com :: Indie / Tabletop / Abandonware