Some Questions before buying

#1mago2430Posted 7/15/2014 8:15:33 AM
I have read a few pages of this forum and got some things answered, but I have a few more questions before I go get one this weekend.

1) That big pad controller thing (with a screen), has always scared me and looks to heavy to hold and use. Do you use that very much while playing.. what is it mainly for?

2) Anyone have issues with any of the accessories from the Wii not being compatable with the Wii U?

3) Has anyone had issues with filling storage to fast? I know the first day I got my Xbox 360 (arcarade 4gb), I bought 2 games and already had that storage filled and needed to buy an additional hard drive.
#2toadiemanPosted 7/15/2014 8:18:30 AM
1. The gamepad is no heavier than a controller or handheld. The gamepad is the controller. You can buy a pro controller that looks more like a standard game controller.

2. No

3. Not me. I don't buy digital games other than old snes, nes, etc.
---
I can't wait to bomb some dodongos
#3R_HunterPosted 7/15/2014 8:19:47 AM
1.The Gamepad is far lighter than it looks, and the internet would have you believe. You use it primarily for initial set-up, but once that's done you can switch to a Pro Controller if you want.

That said, give it a try before you decide against it.

2.Not as of yet.

3.Depends on the model you buy, along with how much digital content you purchase. a 32 gig should hold you for a bit, but if you're the kind that buys a boatload of digital games, i'd invest in an HDD. I'd also suggest a Deluxe model as you'll get points back with each digital game you buy off the eShop.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#4burningxbridgesPosted 7/15/2014 8:21:12 AM
Above poster covered it. I'll add that depending on if you're getting basic or deluxe, your storage could fill up quick. A lot of third party downloadable titles are huge, while Nintendo's (despite the amount of content) remain relatively small. I assume it's just an efficiency thing. So depending on what you're buying, you might want to invest in an external storage device.
#5mago2430(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 8:28:29 AM
What about when the gf is over and we want to play 2 player mario kart against each other. Do I have to buy a second game pad? I did a quick ebay search and the cheapest one was $140. Or dont you really use those for 2 player games. Sorry, I am very uneducated in this pad thing, and it really has been my biggest hurdle in buying a Wii U.
#6SpookyryuPosted 7/15/2014 8:32:14 AM
mago2430 posted...
What about when the gf is over and we want to play 2 player mario kart against each other. Do I have to buy a second game pad? I did a quick ebay search and the cheapest one was $140. Or dont you really use those for 2 player games. Sorry, I am very uneducated in this pad thing, and it really has been my biggest hurdle in buying a Wii U.

don't be afraid of the gamepad, its really light and useful, you only need one pro controller or a wiimote, at this point the WII U cannot play with 2 gamepads at the same time.
#7R_HunterPosted 7/15/2014 8:33:56 AM
No. One person can use the Gamepad and another can use a Wii remote. Probably a Pro controller too, but i've not tried that yet so i'll defer to someone else on that.

As far as I know, all two player games do the same, since there's no games yet that use two gamepads.
---
NNID: EclipseHunter 3DS FC: 1719-4517-0303
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#8NathanmgPosted 7/15/2014 8:43:14 AM
You can use the gamepad with one player and a Pro controller for additional players (up to 5 players in some games). You can also ignore the gamepad and just use pro controllers (or wii remotes).

The gamepad is only slightly heavier than a 360 controller and has amazing weight distribution, more comfortable than a PS Vita for example. the pad either replicates what is shown on the TV (so you can use it AS a TV) or has additional features depending on if the game you're playing has incorporated them.

You can only have ONE gamepad linked to a console to begin with, it provides unique features to some games (moreso moving forward with Amiibos and the like).
#9SakurazanPosted 7/15/2014 8:43:21 AM
The gamepad is actually the most comfortable controller I've ever used. It is very ergonomic. My second most comfortable controller would be a toss up between the gamecube controller and the 360, just to give you a sense of my taste.

The edges of the controller jut out on the bottom and "cup" very comfortably in your hands. My only real gripe with it is that the R and L buttons feel a little too high. The ZR and ZL buttons are perfect though.

If you're really concerned about it, why not just go to a store and demo it?
#10mago2430(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2014 8:50:45 AM
Sakurazan posted...
The gamepad is actually the most comfortable controller I've ever used. It is very ergonomic. My second most comfortable controller would be a toss up between the gamecube controller and the 360, just to give you a sense of my taste.

The edges of the controller jut out on the bottom and "cup" very comfortably in your hands. My only real gripe with it is that the R and L buttons feel a little too high. The ZR and ZL buttons are perfect though.

If you're really concerned about it, why not just go to a store and demo it?

I have always wanted to, every store I have ever seen them in.. they are broke. I live in a medium sized town and the one at best buy doesnt work, neither to do the ones at Walmart. That is why I am so curious on it. Noone I know has one. I am in my mid 30's and am just skepitical of it, b/c I have never seen one work. I miss the days where you could rent systems, for this reason alone ;)