Name a reason Metroid: Other M is a bad game

#31HermeticJusticePosted 7/15/2014 11:38:47 PM
the name sounds horrible

Echoes, Super, Corruption, Hunters, Fusion, all of these are good names

Hell, Pinball is a better name than Other M
---
I'm not changing this signature until more information about Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is announced - Started: 23 January, 2013
#32BillysanPosted 7/15/2014 11:48:42 PM
It's shallow.
---
http://billysan291.deviantart.com/
PSN: Billysan291 3DS FC:4914-2847-6766
#33MasturCheeffPosted 7/15/2014 11:55:33 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#34ZerabpPosted 7/16/2014 12:57:20 AM
R_Hunter posted...
It's a bad game because it takes Samus's strong character that was built up over several games, and has it killed and put on display.

It's a bad game because the logic sucks at times. "We're sending you into a hot area. No you can't have your Varia suit, why do you ask?"

I can go on.

I've been playing Metroid since the original NES's US launch Samus has always been there simply for Fan service. If you actually paid attention to the various stories through the booklets, manga, and actual games you would find exactly the fractured and tortured psyche that appears in Other M the GC games just made it more subtle. You do realize that Sakamoto has been the driving force from the start right he is literally the person who created the character. Samus is whoever and whatever he says she is and his misogyny has been present from the start. Samus was never a strong female character.

Now I still didn't like the game because I didn't like the controls they should have made it GC controller compatible. I just wish people who hadn't paid attention to how messed up Samus was would stop parroting the "strong female character" BS. Jade from Beyond Good and Evil is a strong female character, Maleficent (Pre live action Movie) is a strong female character. Samus was a deeply damaged girl, who grew into a deeply damaged woman. Other M was just Sakamoto throwing down the gauntlet to those who hadn't paid enough attention to the mythology he had created.

The Game is definitely misogynistic don't get me wrong but so was every other Metroid game.
---
XBL Gamertag:SentinelZ PSnetwork ID: SentinelZ
"Bloody wars are easier to survive than idiots with ballots. " Neal Boortz
#35AtalalamaPosted 7/16/2014 1:14:34 AM
-8-way Control in a 3D game.
-Stupid missile controls. STUPID.
-REALLY bad voice acting for Samus (the others were half-decent if not stereotypical).
-Bad Writing Quality.
-Oh, goodie...I have half a dozen characters I don't give a rats *** about due to pacing, writing, etc.
-Okay, who SERIOUSLY gives a thumbs down during mission briefings, etc.?
-Sniveling Samus vs Ridley. You've killed him 2-6 times before, GET OVER IT.
-Racism (remember that tech at the beginning of the game with the schnoz? Racism against whites).
-Stupid overall story - don't ask for details.
-Baby Baby Baby.
-Baby references EVERYWHERE (Baby's Cry, Bottle Ship, etc.).
-Sequences where the player has to find some detail are often very unclear.
-Takes a leak all over Metroid Prime series by making them non-canon (her "first time" working with the -Galaxy Federation since she left).
-Uhmm...wasn't I supposed to be hunting for that "deleter" (seriously?)...oh wait, he's dead.
-07th Platoon? I recognize the Aliens nod...but a Platoon has 16-50 soliders, not 6.
-"This ship is a Bio Weapons Research Facility!" "Could they be making Bio Weapons here?" "You mean Bio Weapons are being made here!?"
-"What do you mean I have to wait for orders to activate my Varia Suit? I'm Melting here!"
-"But...I CAN follow the monster! Just let me use my Grapple Bea" "NO!"
-No sense of isolation.
-World is nice and flat, no exploration required!
-Arrows always point you where to go, and doors will lock to ensure you go that way.
-Game Breaking Bugs.
-Over-the-shoulder camera sequences were pointless.
-Ridley was made too big for Smash.
---
If a game's not good enough for a physical release, then it's not good enough for me.
Official KH3 Aerith, apparently? How...?
#36MaouSadoPosted 7/16/2014 6:28:41 AM
Atalalama posted...

-Racism (remember that tech at the beginning of the game with the schnoz? Racism against whites).

Dumbest thing I've read this week.
#37majorasmaskfanPosted 7/16/2014 9:19:30 PM
No analog stick.
#38QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/16/2014 9:21:44 PM
Atalalama posted...
[stuff]

You forgot the game-ending save bug.
#39RolanberryPosted 7/16/2014 9:26:24 PM
R_Hunter posted...
It's a bad game because it takes Samus's strong character that was built up over several games, and has it killed and put on display.

Why do people keep saying this? Samus's character is based on the Manga. The Manga made by Nintendo. The Manga Nintendo made and is canon to the the Metroid series.

Samus in this game is in line with who the character has always been. Some how people made up this 'strong' character (which is not canon at all) and this game shattered the image they had made up.

Basically the quickest way to know that someone knows nothing about Metroid is if they say think this game ruined Samus character.
#40wiiking96Posted 7/16/2014 9:39:18 PM
Rolanberry posted...
Why do people keep saying this? Samus's character is based on the Manga. The Manga made by Nintendo. The Manga Nintendo made and is canon to the the Metroid series.

It's canonocity to the series as a whole is actually rather shaky. The Manga was never released outside Japan nor officially translated, and it wasn't made till several Metroid games had been released.

Samus in this game is in line with who the character has always been. Some how people made up this 'strong' character (which is not canon at all) and this game shattered the image they had made up.

A character is strong because of their accomplishments, and Samus is one of the most accomplished Nintendo characters of all time. Aside from Other M, the weakest Samus had been was in the Manga, which was very explicitly intended to be an origin story. By Other M, Samus had already saved several planets, and Galactic Civilization as a whole on more than one occasion. She has shown a clear level of high mental fortitude and competence, along with effective combat and navigation skills.

Also, I really need to bring this up again: http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=mga_mv1ch5&image_id=16

Basically the quickest way to know that someone knows nothing about Metroid is if they say think this game ruined Samus character.

Honestly, Samus' character is the least of Other M's problems, because there really isn't a lot to it; that itself is a problem because of much the game forced monotonous monologues on the player from Samus., of course. The larger narrative elements make the game a huge wrench in the series' continuity, which is more troublesome.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!