Name a reason Metroid: Other M is a bad game

#41RolanberryPosted 7/16/2014 8:44:34 PM
The manga being canon isn't up for question, because they are. Yea they where never release outside of Japan but that doesn't make them any less canon (Nintendo being a Japanese company who makes all their games in Japan and also made this Manga)

The person you see in Other M is who Samus is. She has all those same accomplishments yes but thats still who her character is.
#42wiiking96Posted 7/16/2014 8:46:48 PM
Rolanberry posted...
The manga being canon isn't up for question, because they are. Yea they where never release outside of Japan but that doesn't make them any less canon (Nintendo being a Japanese company who makes all their games in Japan and also made this Manga)

If they have never come out and explicitly confirmed it as 100% canon to the games, then I will hold my skepticism.

The person you see in Other M is who Samus is. She has all those same accomplishments yes but thats still who her character is.

You literally have no rebuttal whatsoever.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#431shadetail1Posted 7/16/2014 8:50:13 PM
wiiking96 posted...
You literally have no rebuttal whatsoever.

Actually, that's you. Rolanberry has brought up several points, and your entire reply has been just a verbose version of: "NO IT ISN'T!!!"
---
"It's easier to outsmart people than it is to outdumb them." - Scott Meyer
#44biohazard1775Posted 7/16/2014 9:08:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/cn13zwC.png
---
http://i.imgur.com/PUlTENu.png
Iron Within, Iron Without
#45RoboXgp89Posted 7/16/2014 9:28:37 PM
biohazard1775 posted...
http://i.imgur.com/cn13zwC.png

pixel hunting lol

it wasn't bad just not worth 60bucks IMO maybe like 40 or 20..
#46Rasputin77Posted 7/16/2014 9:53:54 PM
DrRM posted...
coughaltcough...

meh! this again, sorry TC this kind of thread aren't as effective as before. you want 500 post go troll wii u mom or something...

know what, just say some dumb thing about wii u and you and there you got food for a month.

on topic, emmm!!! it cheat on me with my cat :| does that count ?_?

... Wow.
---
Proof of a soft generation - a stern look on a cartoon face is now a "death stare"...
Irony: http://postimg.org/image/a2yrtprql/
#47MaouSadoPosted 7/17/2014 5:41:21 AM
Rolanberry posted...

So, not only do you assert that the manga is canon (I have no beef with this. It seems legit enough to the real Samus), but then you assert that the Other M Samus is "who she is"?

GET THE **** OUT.

First of all, if the manga is canon, then Other M flies in the face of EVEN MORE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

Given where Other M takes place in the timeline of Metroid, there's NOTHING backing up the idea of Samus being the world's greatest dependent village pipe cleaner.
#48Matts-TiiPosted 7/17/2014 6:10:22 AM
Ya know I picked this up the day skyward sword released for 5 bucks brand new. Im actually looking forward to playing it and the prime games
#49Ghost-inZeShellPosted 7/17/2014 6:32:50 AM
THE WRITING...
IT'S TERRIBLE!

Samus wasn't even needed.
She ran around killing monster clones that didn't matter ****.
All of the major bosses where kill by others.
Even MB was killed by the other MB and space marines.

Inconsistencies with every other Metroid game in the series.

Plus negative space, they had the potential to actual explore various themes and ideas, and wasted it.
They actually had other characters for Samus to interact with, so that we could see a new side to her personality, but no, no dialogue.
They even set up that they had radio communicators.
NOPE, just Samus monologuing to herself in monotone.

Or the theme of motherhood. It's clear that they wanted to have that as a theme, but did they explore it in a serious manner? NOPE, just references. Everywhere you look.
M:OM, Bottleship, Baby's Cry, yadda, yadda, yadda.
References are not the same as exploring an idea.

I do not think that Other M was made with any malice intent. (or at least I hope not)
I think it was the result of "too many cooks in the kitchen".
Or in-this-case, too many writers and cutscene artists.

This vid pretty much sums it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo
#50Model_OmegaPosted 7/17/2014 6:44:11 AM
Why is Other M bad? I'll tell you why the **** it's bad.

The story is a load of bollucks, it's completely meaningless in the Metroid Continuity when you consider Fusion, and it's badly told, with a horrible translation (oversaw by Sakamoto, who barely speaks English by the way) and voice actors that sound like their recording their lines in someone's bathroom. Samus is a mangled wreck of a character, I've heard many that said she was a blank slate beforehand, therefore any characterization this game gives her cannot be wrong, but they're wrong, here's why.

Actions define a character folks, think back on what has Samus done in the past games? Did she break down against Ridley? Dark Samus? Her fellow hunters in Prime 3? That last one especially bother me, Other M plays Samus ina way that she's distraught over the death of the Metroid Hatchling (I'm not calling it "that") but it doesn't make sense, she gave it willingly to the Federation for research! Samus should not be so screwed up to have motherly instincts over a creature acting on instinct from a race of beings that had tried to kill her on several occasions! Samus' character sucks, she doesn't even do anything in the actual story! Kill Ridley? Oh the Queen did that. Destroy Sector Zero? Oh Adam did that. Stop the Deleter? Oh Melissa did that. Stop the ship from getting to the Federation? Oh Anthony did that. Stop Melissa? Oh the GF and Madeline did that.

She's deliberately written and acted to be weak and ineffectual, and that's not me deciding based on evidence, this bit came straight from the horse's mouth, in an interview Sakamoto stated that "Samus is a women who is poor with coping with life's problems" WOW.

Adam is also a wreck, he's played as someone Samus respects and admires, and also her only father figure, which is flat BS. DId Sakamoto forget that Samus was raised by the Chozo? Did they not matter in the end to him? Also, yes there's the standard Varia suit withdrawl and lack of use of non-combat equipment, going into this would take me hours of typing, (which I would do if I had the time) so instead picture this, why? Why would Adam do this? It can't be for tactical reasons, it's because he's trying to control Samus, this isn't a relationship on trust and admirer, it's an abusive relationship, simple as that.

Now the Gameplay, it's bland and repetitive, and helpfully this image that was posted: http://i.imgur.com/cn13zwC.png says basically everything I would've, thanks.

Oi, this game is bad, it's and offensive, terrible, sexist piece of work and it should only be played nowadays by aspiring game devs as a lesson in bad design and story.

And on that sexist accusation, take this into consideration (taken from a Tvtropes live blog "Mother, may I see Metroid: Other M)

Korval said...\
In this sexist ideal, the women think only of the needs of the men in their lives. Their own needs are irrelevant next to that.

No one should have to make the choice that Adam did, and yet all I could do was question his authority and make things more difficult.

They often recognize these failing in themselves. They realize that they are fragile and weak.

I felt that if I let my guard down, I would easily be broken.

They realize that they're too <insert attribute here> to be able to make reasonable decisions.

... I was childish.
That's who I am...

Of course the women in this sexist ideal not only accept being controlled, they are grateful for it.

Adam, thank you...

So yeah, incredibly ****ing sexist.

---
3DS FC: 2852-9037-5265 Pokemon X IGN: Brandon
Support B.C. Teachers! Down with the Liberal's oppression on bargaining rights!