Will you buy Mass Effect 4 if it's on Wii U?

#111bandit__74Posted 7/20/2014 12:32:50 PM
@Ghost

Sorry, I meant I didn't have a problem with only the ending. I didn't word it very well. Most people say the problem with ME3 was the ending. I meant I didn't have a problem with the ending as in the ending was only one of several very serious problems I had with the game, not necessarily the biggest.

As for the other points:

I understand the Anderson/Udina swap for story purposes. But that's what makes it feel cheap. It isn't organic or inherent to the story and feels contrived. All the more so since I put Anderson in charge and Udina should've been in an old age home somewhere.

As for the council, ME implied that we would have a human council, what happened to that? I know that's a gripe with ME2 not 3, but still.

Also, what the frick happened to the collectors and that whole human genetic diversity angle? This got cut when they dropped the dark energy (yes, that's what I meant) angle in favour of the starchild.

In summary, too many workarounds and contrivances for the sake of the story. If that was their plan all along, then why give us the illusion of choice?
#112Starwars4JPosted 7/20/2014 12:34:03 PM
After the trainwreck that was ME3 why would anyone continue with the series?
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#113JobocanPosted 7/20/2014 12:36:05 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
By RPG elements, you mean chooses and leveling up.
The leveling system was largely improved, IMO.

Your choices mattered more now than ever!
In the first two games, you are being feed exposition on every race, culture, conflict.
In ME3, your choices directly impact all of that. You chose how to resolve all of the problems in the galaxy.
The Genophage and the Cure.
The Quarians and their homeworld.
The Geth and artificial life.
The Salarians, Turians, and the Krogan.
YOU CHOSE HOW THIS ENDS

1. If by "largely improved" you mean "barely there at all", then yes.
2. The only thing the choices in ME1-3 actually affected was the color of a f***ing explosion.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My collection
#114bandit__74Posted 7/20/2014 12:50:21 PM
Jobocan posted...

In the first two games, you are being feed exposition on every race, culture, conflict.
In ME3, your choices directly impact all of that. You chose how to resolve all of the problems in the galaxy.
YOU CHOSE HOW THIS ENDS

2. The only thing the choices in ME1-3 actually affected was the color of a f***ing explosion.

This. So much this.
#115Granadico_Posted 7/20/2014 12:54:08 PM
Nah cuz i don't like wRPGs much, especially mainly story-driven ones where you make decisions.
Especially when the decisions become meaningless >_>
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#116Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 1:10:06 PM
bandit__74 posted...
I understand the Anderson/Udina swap for story purposes. But that's what makes it feel cheap. It isn't organic or inherent to the story and feels contrived. All the more so since I put Anderson in charge and Udina should've been in an old age home somewhere.

Yeah, I was surprised that he stuck around too, but after the Citadel invasion, I understood why.
It wouldn't have had the same impact if it was just some new traitor that we had never met before.
I feel the Citadel invasion was key to ME3's story as a whole.
But I understand how it trivialized your decision to put Anderson in charge.
It would have been better if they hadn't given us that choice at the end of ME1 just to take it away.
Had it not been there in the first place, it would have taken away nothing.

I think this was a result of writing the games one at a time.
I seriously believe that they wrote it game by game.
In-other-words, I do not think that they knew what they were going to do for ME3 when they were making ME1.

bandit__74 posted...
As for the council, ME implied that we would have a human council, what happened to that? I know that's a gripe with ME2 not 3, but still.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was that they were going to have a human on the council.
It just won't make sense for all the other species to stand by, and let humans take all of the seats of the council, with no representation for themselves.
Especially the Asari, Turians, and Salarians, who had seats on the council before humans even showed up on the galactic scene.
Even if the Alliance tried to get away with an all-human council, the other races would surely not allow it.

bandit__74 posted...
Also, what the frick happened to the collectors and that whole human genetic diversity angle? This got cut when they dropped the dark energy (yes, that's what I meant) angle in favour of the starchild.

The Collectors turned out to be Protheans. After the Protheans were defeated by the Reapers, the Reapers harvested them, and turned them into (what we call) the Collectors, as a form of organic slaves. They were not genetically diverse, so the Reapers decided that they were not strong enough to become a new Reaper.

The human genetic diversity was why they were trying to make a human-Reaper.
Being genetically diverse means that a species is stronger, from a genetic stand-point.
It was why that species was singled out.
Explained in the later half of ME2.

The Dark Energy is how the "mass effect" fields work.
Element Zero, the mass Relays and all that jazz.
Basically space magic. It's the "Force" from StarWars, but for the Mass Effect universe.
Keep in mind that these same writers used to work on KOTOR, the Star Wars games, and need a way to explain the magic in their fantasy.
Sorry, but Element Zero, Dark Energy, Relays, Mass Effect Fields, all of this is 100% plot-hole-filler.
It's a keystone in all sci-fi. Yeah, you could call them lazy, but if it were traditional fantasy, they would just call it "magic" and leave it at that.

bandit__74 posted...

In summary, too many workarounds and contrivances for the sake of the story. If that was their plan all along, then why give us the illusion of choice?

That's just it, they didn't have it planned all-along.
I think they wrote ME2's story after ME1 was successful.
I think that they started writing ME3's story near the end of ME2's completion.
#117Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 1:16:53 PM
bandit__74 posted...
Jobocan posted...

YOU CHOSE HOW THIS ENDS

This. So much this.

The WHOLE TRILOGY's role-playing is nothing-but MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS!
How else would you have ended it?

A boss fight?
Shepard fistbeating the biggest baddest Reaper and sending the rest home?
Or everything that you've done being tally-up'd for points, like one of those personality quizzes?

No seriously.
I have read fanfics of "better" endings. They are garbage. You come up with how they should have ended it.
I dare you.
#118kdognumba1Posted 7/20/2014 1:30:38 PM
If they bring the whole trilogy out, sure. Until then, not a chance.
---
http://backloggery.com/kdog254 http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/Ouya/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#119bandit__74Posted 7/20/2014 2:59:40 PM
@Ghost

I know what happened with the collectors and the story angle in ME2. I've beaten that game a dozen times. I understand all of those things you took pains to detail. (sorry again for poor wording, but this IS the internet afterall).

I was referring to why they dropped that angle. Allegedly human diversity and dark energy both played a large role in the original ending to ME3. That ending was leaked, so they scrapped it and went with the starchild nonsense.

And if dark energy really was just plot hole filler, than the starchild ending needed it more than anything...
#120Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 4:35:03 PM
bandit__74 posted...
@Ghost

I know what happened with the collectors and the story angle in ME2. I've beaten that game a dozen times. I understand all of those things you took pains to detail.

Then I'm not clear as to why you asked about them.

bandit__74 posted...
I was referring to why they dropped that angle.

They didn't.
The Collectors were the Reaper's ground troops in ME2.
The Collectors are still there, in ME3,
but now they are mixed in with all of the other species that the Reapers had "acquired".
The Husks, the Cannibals, the Marauders, the Brutes, the Harvesters, the Banshees.
They're there, it's just they had to share the spotlight, since a lot of new types that were introduced.

bandit__74 posted...
Allegedly human diversity and dark energy both played a large role in the original ending to ME3. That ending was leaked, so they scrapped it and went with the starchild nonsense.

I've read the "leaked" ending. It's rubbish. I like the ending that they went with much better.
Just out of asking, how YOU read the "leaked" original ending?
http://www.ign.com/blogs/mikeerik/2012/08/01/original-mass-effect-3-ending-spoilers/
Seriously?
Dark Energy is this evil magic that will destroy the universe... unless we let the Reapers harvest humanity.... HWAT?!

And then, you are given the choice between..
Paragon (Destroy the Reapers) or
Renegade (let the Reapers sacrifice humanity to the Dark Energy)

...and you're telling that, THAT was a better ending?

bandit__74 posted...
And if dark energy really was just plot hole filler, than the starchild ending needed it more than anything...

Oh, you found a plot hole with the starchild ending. Do tell.