Mighty Number 9: Ripoff or Spiritual Successor?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Mighty Number 9: Ripoff or Spiritual Successor?
1 year ago#11
Since it's the same person in charge of making what is essentially the same game, it's a successor.
1 year ago#12
GeminiX7 posted...
Granadico_ posted...
People who think its a ripoff must thing Chrono Trigger ripped off Dragonbal Z's art style >_>

You and I both know that this analogy doesn't work. Art Style =/= literally everything about the two games being exactly the same other than the Art Style.

Wasnt' he like the director of the Mega Man games though? Meaning he oversaw most of the aspects of it. Like how all of Kamiya's games are pretty damn similar yet all have their own magic to them
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
1 year ago#13
I don't think you can really rip off your own ideas.

Not really sure what you'd call this situation, but spiritual successor seems to be the closest.
---
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice
1 year ago#14
Wow, some people REALLY need to learn their Mega Man/Capcom history...

Mighty No. 9 exists because Keiji Inafune (the bloody CREATOR of Mega Man) approached Capcom about a new Mega Man game and they denied him. So he set out to make the game anyway. Since Capcom owns the rights to HIS creations, he started the Kickstarter page. The fans spoke with their dollars, spat in Capcom's face and the game we're getting IS the Mega Man game Inafune planned to make but with different characters.

A ripoff? Don't make topics like this if you have idea what the backstory is...
---
When the going gets tough, kick going in the balls!
1 year ago#15
Granadico_ posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
Granadico_ posted...
People who think its a ripoff must thing Chrono Trigger ripped off Dragonbal Z's art style >_>

You and I both know that this analogy doesn't work. Art Style =/= literally everything about the two games being exactly the same other than the Art Style.

Wasnt' he like the director of the Mega Man games though? Meaning he oversaw most of the aspects of it. Like how all of Kamiya's games are pretty damn similar yet all have their own magic to them

Listen, I am not calling the game a ripoff. I'm just saying that I don't think spiritual successor is necessarily the right phrase. MN9 is pretty much exactly a Megaman game, just with a different art style. That's not a bad thing, it won't be a bad game, and I'm happy it's being made. It's just I don't think it's a "spiritual successor". It's pretty much a clone of the classic games. And that's just fine.

Another way to put it is this: If this game was made by literally anyone other than the creator of Megaman, it'd be a blatant ripoff. Other spiritual successors definitely have the feel of the games that came before them, but also have enough differences to make them truly feel like different games.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
1 year ago#16
GeminiX7 posted...
Granadico_ posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
Granadico_ posted...

Listen, I am not calling the game a ripoff. I'm just saying that I don't think spiritual successor is necessarily the right phrase. MN9 is pretty much exactly a Megaman game, just with a different art style. That's not a bad thing, it won't be a bad game, and I'm happy it's being made. It's just I don't think it's a "spiritual successor". It's pretty much a clone of the classic games. And that's just fine.

I'm not on your ass, i'm just saying him making this game is like Kamiya making all of his beat em ups/action games.
Wikipedia
A spiritual successor,[1][2] sometimes called a spiritual sequel, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, yet features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material, thereby resulting in its nevertheless being related or similar "in spirit" to its predecessor.

Yeah its wikipedia, but i think that's pretty much spot on of what MNo9 is to MM
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
1 year ago#17
Shovel Knight is a "spiritual successor" to the Mega Man series, Mighty No.9 is just a straight up Ripoff. I know the backstory though, and I think its a good thing because I love the series and this was the only way for it to continue. Anyway you look at it, it's still a ripoff of Mega Man though. And yes the creator can still ripoff his own ideas when he isn't the owner of the ideas.
---
Yes, I'm sexist, racist, and homophobic, but I'm more tolerant than you.
1 year ago#18
Granadico_ posted...
Yeah its wikipedia, but i think that's pretty much spot on of what MNo9 is to MM

That's fair enough, and it does fit that definition, but I don't know. I still feel compared to other games we consider "spiritual successors" its much too "carbon copy" to be in the same group. Completely understand why its that way. I'm fine that it's that way. Just saying is all...
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
1 year ago#19
random_man9119 posted...
If it wasn't being made by Inafune: Rip off

Since it is: Successor

Can somone rip off their own ideas?

This.
1 year ago#20
It's more of a blood successor since it's made by the same man who did Mega Man.
---
I'm a Christian and proud!
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers! http://gifstumblr.com/images/its-morphin-time_1472.gif
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Mighty Number 9: Ripoff or Spiritual Successor?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived