Mighty Number 9: Ripoff or Spiritual Successor?

#21GeminiX7Posted 7/21/2014 10:34:29 AM
ARsignal11 posted...
random_man9119 posted...
If it wasn't being made by Inafune: Rip off

Since it is: Successor

Can somone rip off their own ideas?

This.

Someone can definitely rip off their own ideas if they don't own the rights to their idea.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#22TomoEK9Posted 7/21/2014 10:52:37 AM
I would say uninspired hypocrisy.

Inafune whined and moaned about how Japanese devs are stuck and can't come up with new or interesting ideas.

Then he goes and makes a Megaman clone. Yeah sure, real creative Inafune.
#23MuryoPosted 7/21/2014 10:56:23 AM
CelesEsperIce3 posted...
Shovel Knight is a "spiritual successor" to the Mega Man series, Mighty No.9 is just a straight up Ripoff. I know the backstory though, and I think its a good thing because I love the series and this was the only way for it to continue. Anyway you look at it, it's still a ripoff of Mega Man though. And yes the creator can still ripoff his own ideas when he isn't the owner of the ideas.

Actually Shovel Knight feels more like Duck Tales, Pogo stick shovel, treasure collecting for example.
---
Miiverse: Muryoken
PSN: Muryoken
#24Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 10:56:59 AM
TomoEK9 posted...

Inafune whined and moaned about how Japanese devs are stuck and can't come up with new or interesting ideas.

I think the idea is that it's a sequel to his own creation, but since Capcom owns it, this is the only way he can legally do it.
#25DarthLaharlPosted 7/21/2014 10:59:09 AM
R_Hunter posted...
Successor. Even Trigger thinks so.

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1152584/megamancomic.png

I found this incredibly cringe worthy. Stuff like that is why I hate anime.
---
LFT: Destiny, Splatoon, Dragon Age 3, Yoshi WW, Omega Sapphire, SSB WiiU, Alien Isolation, MKX, Talesof Xillia 2/Zesteria, and Persona 5.
PSN/NNID-Unretributed
#26TomoEK9Posted 7/21/2014 11:00:01 AM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

I think the idea is that it's a sequel to his own creation, but since Capcom owns it, this is the only way he can legally do it.

Which is fine, but he shouldn't complain about others making the same thing over when he is going to be doing it himself.
#27TomoEK9Posted 7/21/2014 11:00:01 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#28StephenYap3Posted 7/21/2014 11:03:19 AM
Successor. For where Mega Man is, he's only being crushed under Capcom's gigantic cold foot for lord-knows-how-many-years, all but bones as of right now (figuritively speaking, of course). Calling Mighty No. 9 a ripoff would be like calling Guacamelee a WWE ripoff.
---
Yes, this is real music!
#29AdenocelPosted 7/21/2014 11:39:10 AM
Inafune is not the main creator of Mega Man. He worked on the first game as an artist, but the game was directed by Akira Kitamura. Kitamura is also the person who came up with the initial design for the Mega Man character.

"I'm often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom," he explained. "My mentor [at Capcom], who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like." - Inafune TGS 2007

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tgs-07-mega-man-celebrates-20th-anniversary/1100-6179759/
#30Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2014 4:19:29 PM
TomoEK9 posted...
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
TomoEK9 posted...

Which is fine, but he shouldn't complain about others making the same thing over when he is going to be doing it himself.

Did he?