Mighty Number 9: Ripoff or Spiritual Successor?

#41evil_deathscythPosted 7/21/2014 7:39:45 PM
dascylus posted...
Downside is the price is locked in at $23 for all platforms.... hope it's worth it, definitely gonna be the most expensive indie game I've ever purchased.

If that is the case it is definitely a rip off. But I think the idea is a rip off because it is megaman is it a little bit stale with so many entries that in being a spiritual successor it is a rip off. I would much prefer to see a spiritual successor to the legend spinoff instead.
#42NovaLevossidaPosted 7/21/2014 7:42:04 PM
Can't say it's a rip-off because it's the same guy behind both, but I will say that it feels like a carbon copy. Most of the enemies in the last trailer had a direct equivalent from Mega Man games. They've made some changes to aesthetics and gameplay, but it just looks like a carbon copy. The enemies are the biggest offender.
---
The HUD...
...placed conveniently on the Wii U gamepad. - TreeFall Studios on The Letter
#43TomoEK9Posted 7/21/2014 7:47:13 PM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
TomoEK9 posted...
I would say uninspired hypocrisy.

Inafune whined and moaned about how Japanese devs are stuck and can't come up with new or interesting ideas.

Then he goes and makes a Megaman clone. Yeah sure, real creative Inafune.

I think the idea is that it's a sequel to his own creation, but since Capcom owns it, this is the only way he can legally do it.

Which is fine, but he shouldn't complain about others making the same thing over when he is going to be doing it himself.

Did he?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-08-mega-man-creator-laments-tragic-state-of-japanese-games-industry

I feel like we rarely see new creations from Japan. We stick to our memories and up-res a game or ship out an HD version. I feel like that's the upper limit that we're showing to our users today and that's not what they want."

Yes, he did.
#44MetroidOtherM2Posted 7/21/2014 7:49:20 PM
Is Metroid Other M a ripoff of Ninja Gaiden because it similarities? Nope. It's not a ripoff. Its pretty much Megaman wothout megaman. Made by the same guy who can't call it megaman. He's making what he knows is good.
#45Virus66Posted 7/21/2014 8:12:04 PM
If someone says it's a ripoff, they don't know crap. It's made by the Megaman creator because he couldn't create any more Megaman. It's the whole point...
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
I'm a living contradiction. I own a PS3 and a Wii U. A 3DS and a Vita. And the catch to that? I enjoy them all!
#46IcyWind14Posted 7/21/2014 9:02:56 PM
Fepozopo posted...
dascylus posted...
Downside is the price is locked in at $23 for all platforms.... hope it's worth it, definitely gonna be the most expensive indie game I've ever purchased.

Where did you hear that it's going to be 23 dollars? That's kind of an odd number for a download game.

$23 is the current price they have for the pre-order on the official website. That being said, the price is actually a reduced price for those pre-ordering, so the actual price will probably be $25 or something.
---
Not changing this sig until Capcom starts giving a damn about Mega Man again.
#47Stanger5150Posted 7/21/2014 9:18:51 PM
As others have already said (and they were ignored for some reason), Inafune DID NOT CREATE MEGA MAN!

Akira Kitamura did. Mega Man already existed before Inafune was hired.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#48MetroidOtherM2Posted 7/21/2014 9:20:24 PM
Stanger5150 posted...
As others have already said (and they were ignored for some reason), Inafune DID NOT CREATE MEGA MAN!

Oh, i didn't realize that.
#49Stanger5150Posted 7/21/2014 9:22:33 PM
MetroidOtherM2 posted...
Stanger5150 posted...

Oh, i didn't realize that.

I'm not the first person in this thread to point that out.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#50TomoEK9Posted 7/21/2014 9:23:17 PM
Stanger5150 posted...

He was the one put in charge of developing the series as well as designed and
drew pretty much everything from the original series.

Kitamura may have designed Megaman himself, but everything else is pure Inafune.