What is your favorite weapon/ability from Metroid.

#11Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 4:24:20 AM
Hyper beam is always fun.

Surprised more people didn't just love Corruption for letting you use it whenever you want.
#12KaiserWarriorPosted 7/22/2014 4:59:02 AM
Ghost-inZeShell posted...

Surprised more people didn't just love Corruption for letting you use it whenever you want.

The hyper beam is decidedly less awesome when it's just a mechanic to force you to use an alternate, health-draining mode against certain enemies and bosses. It's nowhere near as cool as suddenly reaming the final boss and making it completely and utterly helpless against overwhelming power.
#13Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 5:54:41 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...
Ghost-inZeShell posted...

The hyper beam is decidedly less awesome when it's just a mechanic to force you to use an alternate, health-draining mode against certain enemies and bosses. It's nowhere near as cool as suddenly reaming the final boss and making it completely and utterly helpless against overwhelming power.

That's true.

IMO, you get health orbs so often, it really outweighes the cost.
It also balances it so you would use it sometimes, but not all the time.
#14wiiking96Posted 7/22/2014 6:30:00 AM
From the 2D games in general, I quite like the Speed Booster. The various different ways that it can be used are good fun. The Ice Beam is also obviously a top contender, as creating platforms out of enemies is cool. The Grapple Beam from Super Metroid is fun.

From the 3D games, I like pretty much all of the various beam types, because they're so much more diverse than in the 2D games. The Missile Combos from Primes 1 & 2 were great as well; blowing up enemies with an Ice Spreader or Darkburst is very satisfying. The Boost Ball and Spider Ball are neat puzzle solving and navigational abilities. I even like the more poorly implemented powerups such as the Seeker Missiles.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Bowser, Fawful and King Dedede all for their own games!
#15theFAKEsheridanPosted 7/22/2014 6:37:09 AM
Plasma Beam.
---
GameFAQs, where anyone who doesn't agree with you is a troll.
#16Lethal13Posted 7/22/2014 7:11:35 AM
ZM - Plasma Beam - The moment where after acquiring your fully powered suit you bust out and just destroy a whole group of space pirates with your armour shredding plasma beam. You just know after all that stealth it's payback time.

Super - Grapple Beam - Soley for the Dragygon fight. Hadn't even heard it was a thing beforehand either. Draygon grabbed me I button mashed accidentally fired the grappling beam at one of the turrets that I had blown up earlier in the fight, saw it was doing some damage and left it on. Can't think of a more badass way to win an underwater fight than willingly electrocuting oneself to kill a giant fish insect thing that has you in it's grasp

Prime - Phazon Suit - Such a badass colour scheme also allows the use of the Phazon beam as well

Echoes - Sonic Boom - I know how late game it is, but god I love the power and the animation is brilliant as well.

Corruption - Hyper Beam - The gatling gun animation for the charged shot is great

Fusion - Diffusion Missiles - Cool concept, cool animation, cool effect they're just plain cool
#17QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/22/2014 7:14:20 AM
Crystal Flash.
It's impractical to the point of near uselessness, but a neat trick nonetheless.
#18sketchturnerPosted 7/22/2014 7:20:16 AM
Speed Booster and screw attack in Other M are both all kinds of awesome.

I also am very fond of the spider ball, most notably in Echoes and Return of Samus, the two games which best utilized it.
---
The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace.
#19RadKickAssPosted 7/22/2014 7:25:35 AM
Screw Attack + Space Jump = toasted enemies
---
SURE, I'LL TAKE YOU TO A GOOD PLACE. HEH!! HEH!! HEH!!
PSN: RadKickAss // 3DS: 4957-3805-8646
#20Ghost-inZeShell(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 7:40:34 AM
RadKickAss posted...
Screw Attack + Space Jump = toasted enemies

LMAO first time I got that combination.
Sometimes I still do.