Which Nintendo console do you think had the worst 3rd party support?

#21EndgamePosted 7/22/2014 7:18:13 AM
At least the N64 had Blast Corps, Conker

made by Rare, which was owned by Nintendo, aka second party games
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#22monkeyspoon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 7:19:15 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
N64 probably in terms of amount of games, but the Wii U when you consider just how much the industry has grown since and that Nintendo has had a crapload of chances to gain good 3rd party support.

Think more carefully. The N64 actually had pretty good third party support and exclusives.
---
PS4>XB1>wiiu
Best game of 2013 = The Last of Us. It won the most game of the year awards.
#23nonexistingheroPosted 7/22/2014 7:22:48 AM
vermilion99 posted...
You have no idea at all of what your talking about. The Wii U is trailing behind the GameCube sales wise. The GCN also had much better 3rd party support

Pretty much. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes, Resident Evil REmake, Zero and 4, Baten Kaitos + Baten Kaitos Origins, Tales of Symphonia, Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg, Super Monkey Ball, Phantasy Star Online episode 1 & 2, etc. Gamecube had a ton of 3rd party (timed, in some cases) exclusives and a lot of multiplats as well. Also a number of games created by 3rd parties with (new) Nintendo IP's (such as Eternal Darkness and F-Zero GX).

The Wii U is kinda lagging behind the GC in all aspects of 3rd party support so far. Most of the support the Wii U did get is half-assed.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#24ZenithianHeroPosted 7/22/2014 7:24:46 AM
Wii U so far, though of the completed consoles I don't really think too fondly of N64's support.
Say what you want with Wii, I actually found its niche and underdog titles to be awesome.
---
My blog | http://zenithianhero.tumblr.com/
Bring SEGA games to the West | http://www.segalization.com/
#25nonexistingheroPosted 7/22/2014 7:29:21 AM(edited)
monkeyspoon posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
N64 probably in terms of amount of games, but the Wii U when you consider just how much the industry has grown since and that Nintendo has had a crapload of chances to gain good 3rd party support.

Think more carefully. The N64 actually had pretty good third party support and exclusives.

The industry was much smaller back then and there weren't nearly as many games. The N64 does lose out in terms of the amount of 3rd party games, I'm sure. Especially with the rise of the indie market. But I said nothing about the quality or the ratio of 3rd parties making games. Just about the objective # of 3rd party games.

Wii U's 3rd party quality is just extremely poor for most part. Almost every 3rd party retail game that isn't published by Nintendo is a half-assed port. The only one I can think of that isn't one is that Need for Speed game. Even Rayman is half-assed support because while there's nothing wrong with the game, they did delay the game for over half a year to pretty much make it bomb.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#26EoinPosted 7/22/2014 7:30:03 AM
FayeLady posted...
Few consoles will be sold this generation than that generation, so the wii u is likely to be a far larger portion of the market.

While you are probably correct that the Wii U will hold a higher percentage share of the console market than the GameCube did, I'm not really sure that this will matter in terms of third party support.

I think third parties saw the GameCube as a console powerful enough that they could port any of their games to (maybe needing some modifications to account for disc format or the controller), and with a small audience that actively engaged with third party games. These factors made the GameCube a reasonable target for third party support despite its lower market share.

On the other hand, I think they now view the Wii U as a console that needs too much work to port games to - especially newer games for more powerful machines, with a small(er) audience that either doesn't buy third party software or else buys on other machines. These factors are making the Wii U less tempting to support, and means that what support it does have is minimal.

I can imagine a third party publisher considering platforms for each new game they're planning, looking at the Wii U, and asking themselves "What has changed that would result in this new game selling well on Wii U when our last game didn't?". I don't see what answer they could ever come up with.
#27ps4ponyreturnsPosted 7/22/2014 7:38:20 AM
Another monkeyspoon topic.
#28snake_5036Posted 7/22/2014 7:39:20 AM
struggles to keep up with PS3 and 360

what
---
Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady.
#29RoyMaster4Posted 7/22/2014 7:41:33 AM
NES - Had plenty, it was THE system.
SNES - Also had quite a bit, such as Mega Man X and Chrono Trigger. Still plenty of support.
N64 - Where's the 3rd party support? Rare was still essentially a Nintendo developer so I don't think they count.... so all we had was Rogue Squadron, Bomberan 64, and Mega Man 64 for the entire lifespan? People tend to ignore this since we had Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Smash Bros, but all of the third parties flocked to the PS1.
GC - Some of them came back! We got Viewtiful Joe and RE4 from Capcom, MGS series from Konami, Sonic Adventures and Monkey Ball from Sega... no problem here.
Wii - Too much support! Back off, please! Most of these aren't even good... Though there still are a few exclusive gems such as Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and we got some good ports such as Rayman Origins.
Wii U - At least we're still getting ports for the time being, such as Sonic Racing and Injustice, and we're getting exclusive 3rd party games such as Sonic, Bayonetta, and Hyrule Warriors.

N64 wins this easily imo.
---
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198023511833
3DS FC: 5026-4428-6076
#30monkeyspoon(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2014 7:47:31 AM(edited)
ps4ponyreturns posted...
Another monkeyspoon topic.

When was the last time I created a topic? And prove it or it doesn't count.

I think it was this on 3rd June.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/69360540
---
PS4>XB1>wiiu
Best game of 2013 = The Last of Us. It won the most game of the year awards.