Which Nintendo console do you think had the worst 3rd party support?

#41EoinPosted 7/22/2014 8:34:58 AM
RoyMaster4 posted...
N64 - Where's the 3rd party support? Rare was still essentially a Nintendo developer so I don't think they count.... so all we had was Rogue Squadron, Bomberan 64, and Mega Man 64 for the entire lifespan?

This is rather inaccurate.

While I think some people would be quite happy to name plenty of third party N64 games that weren't part of the set of "Rogue Squadron, Bomberan 64, and Mega Man 64", I thought some numbers might put things into context.

The N64, over the course of its lifetime, had 251 third party retail releases in North America (248 if you exclude the 3 Rare games that weren't published by Nintendo in North America).

The Wii U has had 84 such releases so far - there's another 16 with release dates, and a total of 124 including ones that don't have any kind of solid release plans (many of these aren't going to happen but haven't been officially cancelled).

The problem for Nintendo is if you break those releases down by date, you get this:

2012: 33
2013: 39
2014: 25 (12 with 13 more on the way in 2014)

At the current rate of 25 releases per year it'll take another 7 years for the Wii U to match the N64's number of third party releases.

The Wii U could win a subjective comparison, of course, or there's a reasonable argument that the eShop is picking up some of the slack from the loss of retail support, but in terms of the only directly comparable numbers, the N64 had more support from third parties than the Wii U.
#42iKhanicPosted 7/22/2014 8:37:17 AM
X_Ste_90_X posted...
This isn't open for debate is it? It is definitely the Wii U?

yes
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#43SyCo_VeNoMPosted 7/22/2014 8:40:36 AM(edited)
IMO Wii had the worst unless you consider this http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/ good 3rd party support. IMO its also one of the big reasons people classified Nintendo consoles as a kiddy system as before all that shovelware kid crap on the Wii I never heard of that generalization before.
#44SegavsCapcomPosted 7/22/2014 8:45:50 AM
Wii U may have less third party games, but it's still in the same boat as the N64; nothing much outside first/second party games. I can't even think of 5 third party N64 games worth playing (Rocket: Robot on Wheels, Harvest Moon 64, Megaman Legends, and...um...). I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them without consulting a list. Wii U is a bit better (Ninja Gaiden 3, Skylanders, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and god knows how many indies), but still not good.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom_ Steam: SegavsCapcom_NNID: SegavsCapcom
#45FayeLadyPosted 7/22/2014 8:50:42 AM
Eoin posted...

The Wii U could win a subjective comparison, of course, or there's a reasonable argument that the eShop is picking up some of the slack from the loss of retail support, but in terms of the only directly comparable numbers, the N64 had more support from third parties than the Wii U.

Well if you want to count stuff like that then the GC never really had third party issues. After all, 50 bucks and Gameboy and GBA third party games were playable on it. It could be argued they picked up the slack for the lack of GC releases.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#46iKhanicPosted 7/22/2014 8:56:11 AM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
IMO Wii had the worst unless you consider this http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/ good 3rd party support. IMO its also one of the big reasons people classified Nintendo consoles as a kiddy system as before all that shovelware kid crap on the Wii I never heard of that generalization before.

You must have been living under a rock for a while. Nintendo systems have been classified as more for kids since the days of the SNES, when they censored games like Mortal Kombat.

There were tons of great 3rd Party games listed in that article. The Wii had the save shovelware everything else got, but also got a slew of unique 3rd Party exclusives because of how different the platform was.
---
"Well, they sure don't make evil immortal sorcerers like they used to." - Klarion the Witch Boy
#47Who_Dat504Posted 7/22/2014 9:18:46 AM
It is the Wii U easily, you know you hit rock bottom with 3rd parties when your system can't even get sports games.
---
Saints, LSU, and Pelicans fan!
#48QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/22/2014 9:25:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
IMO Wii had the worst unless you consider this http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/ good 3rd party support.

Seems like everyone somehow though it was 1983 all over again. If anything, it was precursor for the mobile crapware dogpile.
#49ps4ponyreturnsPosted 7/22/2014 9:26:55 AM
Who_Dat504 posted...
It is the Wii U easily, you know you hit rock bottom with 3rd parties when your system can't even get sports games.

Untrue. The Eshop makes it the wii U have more 3rd party support than te 64
#50Kromlech06Posted 7/22/2014 9:29:09 AM
Stupid to count the WiiU before the successor is out.

It ain't over til it's over, baby.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957