POLL: which next gen resolution/framerate do you prefer?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. POLL: which next gen resolution/framerate do you prefer?
1 year ago#21
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
Some people say you can't detect a difference beyond a certain number of frames, but that is actually incorrect, the human eye is analog, continuous, it doesn't work by means of any frame rate.
You can tell the difference between 30 and 60.
You can tell the difference between 60 and 120.

While this is true, the vast majority of consumer-grade PC displays don't run above 60hz. You can get 120hz models, but they're not particularly common, let alone standard yet (for reference, checking Newegg right now, in the LCD/LED monitor category: 60hz Displays: 583. 120hz displays: 1). A 60hz display is outputting 60 images per second, regardless of what framerate your GPU is putting out. Anything above 60fps is wasted as your GPU is outputting frames your monitor isn't showing because it's not refreshing that fast.
1 year ago#22
I have a 1080p TV, and a 1920x1080 monitor, so I like it when games use all of the pixels.

I don't care if the framerate is 30 or 60, as long as it feels smooth and doesn't drop below ~25.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
1 year ago#23
KaiserWarrior posted...
Ghost-inZeShell posted...
Some people say you can't detect a difference beyond a certain number of frames, but that is actually incorrect, the human eye is analog, continuous, it doesn't work by means of any frame rate.
You can tell the difference between 30 and 60.
You can tell the difference between 60 and 120.

While this is true, the vast majority of consumer-grade PC displays don't run above 60hz. You can get 120hz models, but they're not particularly common, let alone standard yet (for reference, checking Newegg right now, in the LCD/LED monitor category: 60hz Displays: 583. 120hz displays: 1). A 60hz display is outputting 60 images per second, regardless of what framerate your GPU is putting out. Anything above 60fps is wasted as your GPU is outputting frames your monitor isn't showing because it's not refreshing that fast.

..why did you latch on to just 120Hz? That's actually pretty uncommon, there are a lot more displays at 144Hz and if you throw in miscellaneous high framerates like 85Hz, you get a pretty fair selection. Nevermind that the NewEgg selection includes a metric s***ton of laptop panels cluttering up the 60Hz category. No joke, sort by low price and see for yourself.

If you're picking out a display for PC gaming, I'm not really sure why you WOULDN'T choose either a high resolution IPS panel for visual fidelity, or a high-refresh TN panel for response. Picking one or the other really is not that expensive and both are a major quality of life improvement.
1 year ago#24
As a person with a lot invested into PC gaming, I agree on panel selection. I'm just saying that the reason a lot of people say you can't tell a difference is because, for the majority of setups out there, you actually can't because of refresh rates.
1 year ago#25
In general I prefer 60fps. I was completely unecessary but it made ALBW look great.
---
Check out the amazing band "ESCAPE THE FATE" right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Me9nPk5ro
1 year ago#26
This isn't a PC topic.
I bought up my PC because console aren't suppose to be about power (what this topic is really about).

But since you brought it up, no, my display is 60hz max.
My GPU run 120 on some games, but usually it's 60.
My brother has a monitor that can run 120, and it is noticeable.

I just haven't invested in a more powerful display yet. I'm waiting on the Oculus.
I hear rumors that the first consumer-grade Oculus Rift will run insane frames at a some ridiculous resolution. Internet rumors, of course, but I will still wait and see. I've always loved the idea of VR, and expected the Rift to have been released sooner.
1 year ago#27
KaiserWarrior posted...
As a person with a lot invested into PC gaming, I agree on panel selection. I'm just saying that the reason a lot of people say you can't tell a difference is because, for the majority of setups out there, you actually can't because of refresh rates.

I mostly agree. I think it's not just refresh rates, I think it's that a great many console gamers are playing on TV displays that, when rated for gaming, are just horrible. It's not at all out there for a console gamer to be experiencing 75ms input lag and for the on-screen image to be put through several ham-handed filters that make badly compressed cable TV look better but do nothing for high-fidelity computer graphics except make a mess. Of course you will barely see the difference in anything, it's already a blurred s*** stain.

That said, the debate is usually over 30 vs 60 fps, which is supported by pretty much 100% of TVs out today and should provide a pretty obvious difference to anyone, on any game. High refresh rates are awesome and I absolutely think that going either 1440p+ or 120Hz+ is the way to go, but right now console developers need to get on the stick and release games at mere modern standards. It's expected that PCs will be cutting edge, but they're pushing 4K images (and it's becoming less and less of a reach to accomplish this, with fewer compromises) while consoles make excuses for why they can't even manage 60FPS at 1080p, and sometimes fail to get that even at 900p or, god forbid, 720p. Guess it is better than late 7th gen with sub-720p slowing to the teens but that's still no excuse.

But it's absolutely true that a lot of people would have their mouths shut pretty quick by actually looking at good images on a clean, high quality display. This whole "720p 30fps is all I can see anyway" nonsense falls apart when you lay eyes on a display worth gaming on.
1 year ago#28
720p 60FPS, I have a 720p TV, Nintendo games look good no matter what their "p" is. If I really wanted 1080p, I'd put a graphics card into my PC.
(message deleted)
1 year ago#30
yeti44 posted...
Hey guys I didn't create this topic in order to have a PC d*** measuring contest. Get the hell out of here if you just want to brag about your $5000 e-peen.

Nobody cares why you made it, you're a joke account and irrelevant. Go sit in the corner and stop bothering the grown ups.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. POLL: which next gen resolution/framerate do you prefer?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived