Here's why the Wii U has second place on lock this gen.

#21EoinPosted 7/23/2014 12:21:57 AM
This is a rather crude analysis. I don't think it reflects how people really think about consoles.

To start off, you're discounting Microsoft's first party software. Halo, Gears of War and Forza are strong games, and they'll be backed up by games like Killer Instinct, Crackdown, Phantom Dust, Fable and Project Spark. That ignores the developers wasting their time with Kinect who could (perhaps) be reallocated to non-Kinect games later.

Microsoft have managed to augment their own first party software with games like Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive and Ryse. Those would all have been on PS4 without Microsoft spending money - it's likely that they'll continue to do that.

You're also ignoring some fairly important factors. Console buying decisions are influenced by things like the online infrastructure, the console that friends are buying, the controller, the media capabilities, and so on. Many of those are subjective or individual areas - neither Microsoft nor Sony can claim objective victory in any of them.

Your weakness is focusing heavily on third party support to try to make your argument. In real life, some people may be perfectly happy playing an inferior version of Assassin's Creed if it means that they get to play Halo. Others will be willing to put up with a graphically inferior version of Call of Duty in order to play it with their friends, or willing to get the worse-looking version of Madden or FIFA so they can play with the controller they prefer.

Ultimately, the PS4 has Sony first party support and will have the best third party support. The Xbox One has Microsoft first party support and inferior (but still extensive) third party support. The Wii U has Nintendo's first party support and extremely limited third party support.

Someone making a console buying decision basely solely on third party support isn't going to be picking the Xbox One... but they're not going to be picking the Wii U either.
#22pnyhmsmxPosted 7/23/2014 12:51:00 AM
Eoin posted...
This is a rather crude analysis. I don't think it reflects how people really think about consoles.

To start off, you're discounting Microsoft's first party software. Halo, Gears of War and Forza are strong games, and they'll be backed up by games like Killer Instinct, Crackdown, Phantom Dust, Fable and Project Spark. That ignores the developers wasting their time with Kinect who could (perhaps) be reallocated to non-Kinect games later.

Microsoft have managed to augment their own first party software with games like Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive and Ryse. Those would all have been on PS4 without Microsoft spending money - it's likely that they'll continue to do that.

You're also ignoring some fairly important factors. Console buying decisions are influenced by things like the online infrastructure, the console that friends are buying, the controller, the media capabilities, and so on. Many of those are subjective or individual areas - neither Microsoft nor Sony can claim objective victory in any of them.

Your weakness is focusing heavily on third party support to try to make your argument. In real life, some people may be perfectly happy playing an inferior version of Assassin's Creed if it means that they get to play Halo. Others will be willing to put up with a graphically inferior version of Call of Duty in order to play it with their friends, or willing to get the worse-looking version of Madden or FIFA so they can play with the controller they prefer.

Ultimately, the PS4 has Sony first party support and will have the best third party support. The Xbox One has Microsoft first party support and inferior (but still extensive) third party support. The Wii U has Nintendo's first party support and extremely limited third party support.

Someone making a console buying decision basely solely on third party support isn't going to be picking the Xbox One... but they're not going to be picking the Wii U either.

Titanfall is a third party exclusive, not first party. Either way, your analysis does support the concept of Xbox One and Wii U will be fighting each other in the exclusives department to those who plan to own the PS4.
#23Stanger5150Posted 7/23/2014 12:55:27 AM
Microsoft certainly deserves last place, but I'm not sure it'll happen.
---
PSN/NN: BlackRain8782
2600, NES, SMS, GB, Lynx, Genesis, TG16, SNES, Game Gear, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, N64, GBC, DC, PS2, GCN, GBA, DS, Wii, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, PS4
#24EoinPosted 7/23/2014 1:05:48 AM
pnyhmsmx posted...
Titanfall is a third party exclusive, not first party.

I know. The games I listed in that part of the post (Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive and Ryse) are, as I said, additional to Microsoft's own first party support. None of those games are first party - even the ones that will be published by Microsoft are made by third party developers. I even pointed out that they'd be on PS4 if Microsoft hadn't spent money to keep they away from there.
#25sonicsonicPosted 7/23/2014 2:03:40 AM
As said by a few people on here. Sony and MS are competing with very similar tools. Big difference being, Sony has far better 1st party support. Even though Sony tends to constantly create new IP's that have to garner a new fanbase, they manage to get the sales.

Xbox has Halo and no one cares about that anymore. I mean any serious shooter fan would probably be more interested in Destiny, leaving a bunch of Halo fanboys picking up the collection.

Way I see the three consoles this gen and for the last:
Nintendo-1st Party titles and those odd 3rd party exclusives.
Sony- All big name 3rd party titles, all niche JRPG titles and a nice selection of 1st party.
Microsoft- The same 3rd party games as Sony and a clear sense of struggling when it comes to securing any kind of 1st party identity outside of Halo.
---
3DS FC:0688-5946-1084 Pokemon TSV-4026 IGN: Jack
NNID:SuperSegaSonic PSN:Sonicsuper1
#26DoomsSDPosted 7/23/2014 2:07:09 AM
One thing I do know about XBox One is that it won't place at all in my household. Wii U is currently 1st place, Sony may come in 2nd as I may eventually buy one but XBox One doesn't stand a chance of ever being bought by me. As far as I'm concerned, XBox One has last place locked down.
---
https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzSETASQK4KvXy7
Well, I suppose it's time to get kidnapped again...
#27Arucaurd(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 3:36:49 AM
Eoin posted...

If my argument is that nobody will buy the XB1 for third party multiplats, focusing on third party multiplats isn't a problem.

Yes people will buy third party games on the system, but that's never my argument. My argument was that nobody will buy a XB1 for multiplats like Call of Duty or WD alone, like they would with the PS4.

If you have to preface your argument with, "people will settle for lower quality multiplats if they get (insert first party exclusive here)" then it wasn't the third party games selling the player on the system, it was the first party game, and you've proven my point.

I'm not flaming or anything here. I'm just pointing out an obvious trend that is recorded with WD and shows signs of happening again with Destiny. The PS4 is crippling XB1 sales by being the go to platform for multiplats, which make up a giant part of the XB1s library and game plan.
#28EoinPosted 7/23/2014 4:03:16 AM
Arucaurd posted...
The PS4 is crippling XB1 sales by being the go to platform for multiplats, which make up a giant part of the XB1s library and game plan.

The issue with your argument is that it ends there. You completely fail to tie it into Xbox One sales versus Wii U sales. If people aren't buying the Xbox One for multiplatform games, then they are also not buying the Wii U for multiplatform games. If someone is trying to decide between an Xbox One and a Wii U, then their decision will be based on things other than multiplatform games, and your argument doesn't begin to address what those things might be (because of its focus on multiplatforms).

This is why I say your analysis is crude. A console buying decision is a multi-faceted, individual and subjective decision, and you're dealing with one single aspect of it. Your argument is supposed to persuade people that:

Wii U has second place on lock

Okay, so we accept that the PS4 has Xbox One beaten for multiplatform games, because it clearly does. Where's the rest? The bit that says how the Wii U will beat the Xbox One?
#29FayeLadyPosted 7/23/2014 4:50:49 AM
The Xbone is exactly where the Wii U was this time last year. I think its silly to claim it should throw in the towel for silver medal because there is a good chance Microsoft handles the situation better than Nintendo did.

I think the real race for second won't come till holiday of next year, when many early adopters buy their second console.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#30Arucaurd(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 4:59:12 AM
Eoin posted...
Arucaurd posted...
The PS4 is crippling XB1 sales by being the go to platform for multiplats, which make up a giant part of the XB1s library and game plan.

The issue with your argument is that it ends there. You completely fail to tie it into Xbox One sales versus Wii U sales. If people aren't buying the Xbox One for multiplatform games, then they are also not buying the Wii U for multiplatform games. If someone is trying to decide between an Xbox One and a Wii U, then their decision will be based on things other than multiplatform games, and your argument doesn't begin to address what those things might be (because of its focus on multiplatforms).

This is why I say your analysis is crude. A console buying decision is a multi-faceted, individual and subjective decision, and you're dealing with one single aspect of it. Your argument is supposed to persuade people that:

Wii U has second place on lock

Okay, so we accept that the PS4 has Xbox One beaten for multiplatform games, because it clearly does. Where's the rest? The bit that says how the Wii U will beat the Xbox One?

Nintendo doesn't need to sell multiplats to beat Microsoft is my point. If the XB1's sales of systems from multiplats have been undermined severely by Sony, which they have, they must rely heavily on first titles to beat Nintendo.

Nintendo has a vastly superior first party/exclusive lineup than the XB1. Mario titles alone from the last gen sold more that the entirety of the XB360's first party lineup combined. That doesn't even tap into the varied nature of Nintendo's properties.

Nintendo also has several big things ready for the holidays, and if they perform well this season, it's going to be hard to make a case for XB1 going forward. Smash is huge. amiibo is a wildcard, there's a massive market for them if they catch on and nobody else can do it this gen. Even if it doesn't cash in though, it can at very least reignite MK8 sales, which would be big for the holidays.