Here's why the Wii U has second place on lock this gen.

#61FayeLadyPosted 7/23/2014 7:29:08 AM
Kromlech06 posted...
FayeLady posted...
Kromlech06 posted...
If MS gets 2nd place it confirms consumers are ok with being lied to, twice, without an apology.

It just confirms that as bad as the value proposition was for the Xbone, it was worse for the Wii U. From the standpoint of NA, thats pretty much the case.

Ignoring that they were lied to is just as good to MS.

I'd argue its better for customers to be buying something based on value proposition than promises that could turn out to be empty.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#62Kromlech06Posted 7/23/2014 7:31:32 AM
Not taking into account the fact that you've just been lied to, twice, when making your assessment of the value proposition (sweet meaningless buzzword by the way), is also great for microsoft.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#63FayeLadyPosted 7/23/2014 7:38:33 AM
Kromlech06 posted...
Not taking into account the fact that you've just been lied to, twice, when making your assessment of the value proposition (sweet meaningless buzzword by the way), is also great for microsoft.

Offering the better product tends to be great for them, and for the market, as well.
I'm a passionate person when it comes to games, but I'd still cry the day that value proposition is a meaningless buzzword and people buy on emotions rather than value.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#64AurawhispererPosted 7/23/2014 8:37:53 AM
Microsoft's biggest mistake was their introduction on E3 about the Xbone. People are still scarred this very day that use to be fans of Microsoft, until that guy on E3 pretty much stated "Either get a Xbone or stick with your dead gen console." Because people were complaining about the price of the system, and the multiple outrageous flaws it had, such as needing kinect in order to use the system or having to check it every 24 hours.

Some confirm this is false. Others say it is true. Fact of the matter is once it came out of the horses mouth, no matter how much anyone, even a celebrity can cover it up, it won't gain the trust/respect back from those who use to support Microsoft. Because of that, it'll be a very hard struggle to come back.

With Microsoft also finally realizing selling the system for 500 (I don't care what their excuse is. Kinect or not, it's still a rip off and no console is even worth over 300) This too also damaged their sales. You can try convincing me how powerful the system is, it can't do what most PC's can do and that's an all purpose computer, Powerful gaming, work, homework, printing paperwork out, etc.

Looking at the Wii U, can't say I blame it hitting 2nd. Sony has delivered more potential and got the support of many ex Microsoft fans. I swear it's like watching sheep heading to a slaughter house. The only way I think Microsoft will ever come back into this gen is if they do what Nintendo has done and do a severe price drop, probably hitting the 300's. Then people will buy, buy, buy, seeing how it's a $100 difference.

Lastly, people now days can't even afford that kind of selling system. Look how long it took the Wii U until it finally started selling. Consumers have grown smart. They know a launch selling system isn't worth THAT kind of price tag, when they have the previous old system that still is very active with good and older games. In fact, this happens in every new console gen. But this gen, it's rather ridiculous on what they're selling the consoles for. This is why I'm just sticking with Nintendo and PC for good.

As for the two companies and their exclusives, they aren't appealing to me. The only thing I like is Gran Turismo from Sony's exclusive. I lost faith in Halo after playing Halo 4. And Destiny lost my interest. I came to realize that buying a console that expensive when I know my gaming library will be as small as five games is not worth tossing away. Some consumers think like this too. Others either have money to throw away or are just spoiled. Either way, I wish both companies the best of luck.

By gones be by gones, I see Nintendo staying in 2nd place this gen. Microsoft is too selfish, stubborn, and greedy. And I don't think that'll ever change. Sony has their strong trump card, and persuaded most of the world to buy their merchandise because it's the next "thing" for FPS, HD, stream, gaming, etc. Nintendo is too busy throwing popcorn at the two, wondering which one will croak first.

And of course, Iwata is too busy playing Tomagochi by taking multiple steam baths.
---
Drift king of Mario Kart 8. Extremely hyped for Pokemon Ruby and Sapphires return :D
#65Arucaurd(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 8:44:05 AM
This is irrelevant to the Wii U. Games that sold tens of millions on the Wii have direct sequels on the Wii U and they simply haven't done much to push Wii U sales. Each game results in the same thing: decent software sales (but still way off Wii levels), and a small temporary bump in hardware sales.

The only direct sequels to Wii games are New Super Mario Bros U and Mario Kart U. They have both sold remarkably well. They haven't sold Wii numbers because they were released earlier in the console's life when it was struggling, as opposed to something like 3 years in with a 97mil install base. NSMBU is currently the best selling current gen title and MK8 is on pace to outsell all PS4 titles so far. The amiibo could actually boost sales for MK8 again as well depending on what it does for the game.

Considering that the Mario kart bump has lasted well over a month, it's not as temporary a boost as say, Titanfall.

So far sales suggest that the Wii U's software sales are concentrated on a few big games and the Xbox One's are more spread out. Other than that, there doesn't appear to be any real difference that isn't explained by the fact that the Wii U has been on the market for three times as long as the Xbox One.

The Wii U being out longer has nothing to do with it being ahead in a sales per month/week basis. The fact the XB1 sales saw a small boost that's already disappeared from WD+Price drop is bad.

Is it? Do you have a source that isn't VGChartz?

What we've got in terms of numbers that aren't totally fake is that the Xbox One has sold 1.1m units so far this year in the USA, compared to 0.45m units sold by the Wii U. Countering this, the Wii U has sold 0.31m units in Japan so far this year, compared to the Xbox One's 0m (since it hasn't launched).

That's 1.1m for the Xbox One and 0.76m units for the Wii U in the only territories where we get reliable sales numbers, a gap of 340k. Unless you're going to argue that Europe, the Wii U's weakest territory, is making up that gap, then the Wii U isn't selling more than the Xbox One on a regular basis.

The Wii U has been ahead of the XB1 in total sales since the end of May.

Yes, the numbers are from vgchartz BUT they are fresh off a correction from the NPD and Mediacreate, meaning they're as accurate as you can get currently. So far it's looking like Wii U may have outsold the XB1 for Q2 of 2014 unless the XB1 was killing it in EU, which is where the XB1 is struggling. We'll know for sure on the 30th when Nintendo releases financial numbers. So we'll hold off on this until then.

Your ignoring that the original xbox outsold the GameCube.

That's not really relevant to the topic, but I already addressed this. The only thing the XB did right was create the satandard for console FPS games. It only did better because it was in exclusive control of a new market.

"Your ignoring that the GameCube had much better 3rd party support."

It had better third party support, but third parties did pretty terrible on it, so what's your point? Awful sales is a strong point now?

"Your ignoring that the PS4 has already surpassed the WiiU sales wise even though Nintendo had a 1 year head start."

That literally has nothing to do with anything in this topic. The only thing PS4 affects in this discussion is the sale of multiplats. Yes XB1 has more multiplats, too bad it's not helping their sales at all.

"Your ignoring the sales of the 360."

Has nothing to do with this discussion either, unless you want to point out how important third party sales were the the XB sales pitch. In which case good job on making my point for me. The XB1 is a failure in multiplats.
#66Arucaurd(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 9:00:13 AM
Your ignoring that the One hasn't been out long at all and has nearly caught up with the WiiU.

I wasn't aware sales were horseshoes. Almost doesn't mean jack, and as of the last two, going on three, months now the Wii U has outsold the XB1 worldwide.

Your ignoring that Nintendo has or is close to releasing all of its biggest franchises while both the PS4 and One haven't even gotten started and yet the WiiU is still struggling.

Mario Galaxy's successor, Metroid, Smash, Star Fox, and Zelda. Only one of those are even scheduled for this year. So unless you think two titles, three if you count SM3DW as a big franchise, is almost all of their franchises, that is a flat out lie pulled from your ***.

Your ignoring that 3rd Parties have completely abandoned the WiiU and act like they don't matter even though 3rd parties were the driving force behind the 360 and PS3 combined sales.

They don't matter as much to Nintendo as they do to Sony or Microsoft. The biggest titles for Sony and Microsoft consoles last gen were what? Third party multiplats. What was the biggest seller for every Nintendo console to ever exist? First party exclusives.

Nintendo won't lose sales on their first party exclusives to any other system, while the XB1 is being killed in sales on its biggest titles. So yes 3rd party sales are vastly more important to the XB1 than the Wii U.
#67EoinPosted 7/23/2014 9:04:38 AM(edited)
Arucaurd posted...
The only direct sequels to Wii games are New Super Mario Bros U and Mario Kart U.

And Wii Fit U and Wii Sports Club and Wii Party U and Donkey Kong Country. All of those games sold massively on Wii but not on Wii U. All of them show that sales on Wii mean nothing at all for the Wii U.

Arucaurd posted...
Considering that the Mario kart bump has lasted well over a month, it's not as temporary a boost as say, Titanfall.

The MK8 boost lasted a few weeks in Japan and died down to the point where it was adding a few thousand sales a week at most for another few weeks. That's very temporary. We don't know how long it lasted in the US because NPD sales are monthly, but we'll find out next month. Even if it lasted a month, a month of Wii U sales being boosted to "considerably less than Xbox One" is not a triumph - it's a small boost.

Arucaurd posted...
The Wii U being out longer has nothing to do with it being ahead in a sales per month/week basis. The fact the XB1 sales saw a small boost that's already disappeared from WD+Price drop is bad.

What are you talking about? Where do you get the idea that I am talking about sales per week or month?

This isn't part of the weekly/monthly hardware sales discussion. You were talking about lifetime software sales, by saying how the Wii U's biggest-selling games were still selling more than the Xbox One's biggest-selling games. My response was, therefore, obviously also talking about lifetime software sales.

Arucaurd posted...
The Wii U has been ahead of the XB1 in total sales since the end of May.

Yes, the numbers are from vgchartz BUT

There's no but. The numbers are from VGCharts and therefore they are invalid. If you can't use real numbers, there is no point in using fake ones. Your claims that the Wii U is outselling the Xbox One are based on nothing.
#68Christopher BelmontPosted 7/23/2014 9:03:39 AM
And people will buy Wii U's for Smash. What's your point?
---
When the going gets tough, kick going in the balls!
#69Arucaurd(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 9:19:15 AM
I need to go for now so I'll address this quickly.

There's no but. The numbers are from VGCharts and therefore they are invalid. If you can't use real numbers, there is no point in using fake ones. Your claims that the Wii U is outselling the Xbox One are based on nothing.

Yes there is a "but" because the but was about the fact it's their compilation of official NPD and Mediacreate numbers and not one of their hilariously bad *** pull predictions.
#70king_maddenPosted 7/23/2014 9:21:47 AM
Kromlech06 posted...
If MS gets 2nd place it confirms consumers are ok with being lied to, twice, without an apology.

Gamers want a game system that has the games they want to play on it at a price they like. All that emotional crap is for the vocal minority. Every company says things they need to say and does what they need to do to try to make money.

Not sure why the vocal minority feels everyone is as uptight and picky about everything as they are.