Is the Wii U's specs holding it back from next gen type games?

#1BloomWakerPosted 7/23/2014 2:12:01 AM(edited)
AC: Unity for example uses a pretty fancy new engine. I wonder if that's why more and more games are skipping it.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/07/22/see-how-ubisofts-anvil-engine-will-make-assassins-creed-unity-a-truly-next-gen-experience/

Assassinís Creed Unity thanks to power of the Ubisoftís new miracle worker, the Anvil engine.
#2Wii_TruthPosted 7/23/2014 2:13:51 AM
Somewhat, but the larger issue is developer apathy towards Nintendo.
---
You want Wii Truth?! You can't handle Wii Truth!!!
#3Granadico_Posted 7/23/2014 2:26:45 AM
Pretty sure they could release a system just like PS4/XB1 and third party will still find an excuse to not develop for them
---
Used GameFAQs for ages, finally made another account after 6 years.
Currently playing: Pikmin 3 (Wii U) and Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS) NNID:Granadico
#4Breastmilkn_DipPosted 7/23/2014 2:41:20 AM
BloomWaker posted...
Is the Wii U's specs holding it back from next gen type games?

Nintendo themselves are the main stumbling block that's preventing the Wii U from having 8th gen games.

---
"One game has the power to change everything" Iwata 30/10/13
"It is difficult to change our prospects with just one title" Iwata 31/10/13
#5Skill4ReelPosted 7/23/2014 3:09:25 AM
Breastmilkn_Dip posted...
Nintendo themselves are the main stumbling block that's preventing the Wii U from having 8th gen games.

How so?
#6coreekymonPosted 7/23/2014 3:18:58 AM
Honestly I would say so, it might not be the entire problem but if games like ACU are designed with the power of the PS4/X1 in mind it's not surprising to me if they skip out on Nintendo.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/coreekymon
3DS FC: 3695-0124-0339
#7godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 3:24:14 AM
Yep. The Wii U is too weak to handle ports from the PS4/Xbone.
It's in an even worse spot than the Wii was in terms of 3rd party support since it's selling very badly.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#8Skill4ReelPosted 7/23/2014 3:27:59 AM
Since anyone that has ever played a PC game before, or has any knowledge of hardware at all knows that video game visuals are scalable. I'm certain the PC version of Assassin's Creed Unity will still be playable on some rather weak ass machines. Some of them possibly comparable to Wii U in power. Someone please explain to me what else then would exactly be happening in this game that is not be possible on Wii U hardware.
#9jackorhoadsPosted 7/23/2014 3:29:39 AM
The cycle of 3rd parties don't normally do well on Nintendo platforms (home consoles at least). So it doesn't make financial sense for them to put the effort into it. Then people complain about no third parties...but don't buy them when they do (e.g. W101). A cycle Nintendos been involved in since the arrival of PS.
---
Please Understand.
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#10godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 3:32:09 AM
Skill4Reel posted...
Since anyone that has ever played a PC game before, or has any knowledge of hardware at all knows that video game visuals are scalable. I'm certain the PC version of Assassin's Creed Unity will still be playable on some rather weak ass machines. Some of them possibly comparable to Wii U in power. Someone please explain to me what else then would exactly be happening in this game that is not be possible on Wii U hardware.

The Wii U isn't comparable even to a weak ass machine.

Even for someone who doesn't understand specs at all, it's quite understandable that if it has issues getting to parity with the 360/PS3, it'll have no chance running any game made for the PS4 and Xbox One.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!