Is the Wii U's specs holding it back from next gen type games?

#11Skill4ReelPosted 7/23/2014 3:48:38 AM
godplaysSNES posted...

The Wii U isn't comparable even to a weak ass machine.

Even for someone who doesn't understand specs at all, it's quite understandable that if it has issues getting to parity with the 360/PS3, it'll have no chance running any game made for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The Wii U versions of both COD games, NFS Most Wanted, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, etc were created in the shortest amount of time possible. After thought ports from older hardware does not get parity, but they all still ran and looked pretty decent.

There is a difference between trying to make the best Wii U software possible, which is what developers like Nintendo and Platinum are doing. While others so far have been quick porting with average results.
#12EoinPosted 7/23/2014 3:49:37 AM
Skill4Reel posted...
Someone please explain to me what else then would exactly be happening in this game that is not be possible on Wii U hardware.

Have you even seen any of the recent tech-focused stuff Ubisoft have released?

There's a number of things there that clearly aren't possible on Wii U, but just to pick the clearest impossibility: crowds of up to 30,000 NPCs with up to 5,000 on screen at once.

However, I think there's an even clearer sign that it can't be done on Wii U: the fact that there's no Xbox 360 or PS3 version. If Ubisoft could scale the game down, they'd be releasing Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, just like they did with ACIV last year, and just like they're doing with Far Cry 4 this year. PS3 and 360 versions would add millions of sales with little additional effort - that Ubisoft aren't making them means that they can't.
#13JackalPosted 7/23/2014 3:53:51 AM
Yes. It's architecture. Limited onboard storage. Less RAM. The Gamepad. The PS4, XBO and PCs having a similar architecture makes porting and cross platforming much easier. The amount of available RAM is more desirable and they even have the hdds for caching I needed. The controller mapping is much simpler without the GP screen to consider but then there are Kinect and PS4 camera features and voice commands that could be included.

Apparently a number of third party devs feel that making or porting games to the Wii U isn't worth it. But when games are built specifically for the console and optimized for it then I think they turn out great. But we seem to be seeing a pattern of delayed multiplatform games which seems to indicate that optimizing those games for the Wii U take a bit more time.

So I have to say that the hardware itself is more of the issue with 3rd party games coming to the systems outside of some of those devs having their personal reasons for not wanting to make their games for the Wii U.
---
PSN: Jackal-5, XBox: Jackal 55 (No, I don't have a 360)
EVE Online: Jonak, Ouya: Zeek_Bronz
#14TrueBlue91Posted 7/23/2014 3:54:08 AM
It's not the specs, it's the Gamepad. Unwanted baggage that is off-putting to developers.
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
"This isn't even apples to oranges. More like toast to bears." - Bloodychess
#15GeminiX7Posted 7/23/2014 3:56:03 AM
1. Less chance of return of investment for devs/publishers. The cost to put games on WiiU not worth the lack of profit they stand to make on it. Due both to lack of console sales and people generally only buying 1st party games on Nintendo consoles in general.

2. Architecture is too different from PS4 and X1 to allow for easy porting. Definitely not impossible to port, but it again adds to a cost most companies don't want to pay.

3. Weak specs. Not TOO big a problem now, since the PS4 and X1 are still in thier "transition" phase(that time where most big name games come out for both old and new gen consoles) but give it a year or two, when the full capabilities of the consoles are being used in games, and there won't be any point in making WiiU ports. It'd be like making Wii ports, having to essentially make a new game specifically for the system. The only difference is that, again, the WiiU doesn't have the numbers to warrant wasting the money on said port.
---
NNID/PSN/GT: GeminiX7
FC: 0748-3100-6541 [FS: Tangelia, Ivysaur, and Maractus]
#16STN79Posted 7/23/2014 4:05:00 AM(edited)
I don't care how fancy the new AC game is. I'm getting tired of them shoveling out a new one every six months. This is coming from a fan too. Well i used to be but i've just about had enough. You wanna talk about a system being held back? How about PS4 with all it's last gen ports instead of hardly anything specifically made for PS4? Seriously name 10 worthwhile exclusives that i can buy right now.
---
It is artists, not technicians, who make excellent games. "Hiroshi yamauchi"
#17godplaysSNESPosted 7/23/2014 4:04:25 AM
Skill4Reel posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

The Wii U isn't comparable even to a weak ass machine.

Even for someone who doesn't understand specs at all, it's quite understandable that if it has issues getting to parity with the 360/PS3, it'll have no chance running any game made for the PS4 and Xbox One.

The Wii U versions of both COD games, NFS Most Wanted, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, etc were created in the shortest amount of time possible. After thought ports from older hardware does not get parity, but they all still ran and looked pretty decent.

There is a difference between trying to make the best Wii U software possible, which is what developers like Nintendo and Platinum are doing. While others so far have been quick porting with average results.

If one can't "quick port" games from a seven-year-old console and still get better results, the issue is with the hardware. The 360 is terrible by today's standards, even integrated graphics were better by the time the Wii U launched, and that the Wii U still can't outperform it easily speaks volumes of how weak the Wii U is

Eoin made a great point about this game not coming to the 360/PS3 either.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#18monkeyspoonPosted 7/23/2014 4:07:02 AM
The wiiu struggles to keep up with the ps3/360. It has no chance keeping up with ps4/xbone.

Expect 3rd party support to get even worse than the sorry state it's already in.
---
PS4>XB1>wiiu
Best game of 2013 = The Last of Us. It won the most game of the year awards.
#19Skill4ReelPosted 7/23/2014 4:34:49 AM(edited)
Eoin posted...
Have you even seen any of the recent tech-focused stuff Ubisoft have released?

I've seen all of it. They keep telling me that Assassin's Creed Unity is going to be this all new next gen experience. I disagree. I'll believe it when I play it. Even with the crowds. If the Wii U can't handle the numbers. Scale them back. These aren't concepts new to gaming that haven't been done before.

I've also seen the PS4/PS3 Destiny comparisons. The PS3 version of the game looks to be holding up very well even though it clearly doesn't have the visual polish that the PS4 version does. IMO it's not that Ubisoft can't technically do, but to sell the illusion that these consoles are worth what people are spending on them. They have to make it seem like their new software is only possible on certain machines. It's what people who own these consoles want to hear.

Edit:
godplaysSNES posted...
If one can't "quick port" games from a seven-year-old console and still get better results, the issue is with the hardware.

The difference in architecture, and the different approach developers take for making Wii U games as opposed to making them for the XB360/PS3 has been discussed several times on this board. The consoles aren't the same. So a port forced out on newer hardware by smaller dev teams in a few months of a game that was specifically designed to run on other consoles that been in development for them for years is supposed to run flawlessly, right?
#20EoinPosted 7/23/2014 4:27:32 AM
Skill4Reel posted...
Even with the crowds. If the Wii U can't handle the numbers. Scale them back.

Even though they're not willing to do that for PS3 and Xbox 360?

There are times when games can be scaled back, and times when they cannot, and arguably times when they can be scaled back but shouldn't (such as Dead Rising on the Wii).

Skill4Reel posted...
I've also seen the PS4/PS3 Destiny comparisons. The PS3 version of the game looks to be holding up very well even though it clearly doesn't have the visual polish that the PS4 version does.

Destiny is a game that was always intended to be on the Xbox 360. Bungie were obviously going to be happy to upgrade the game for more powerful platforms. Ubisoft clearly aren't happy to downgrade AC: Unity for less powerful platforms.

Skill4Reel posted...
IMO it's not that Ubisoft can't technically do, but to sell the illusion that these consoles are worth what people are spending on them. They have to make it seem like their new software is only possible on certain machines.

At this point your argument dissolves into nonsense. You're claiming Ubisoft (and any other publishers skipping PS3/360 version of their games) are losing out on potentially millions of sales just to push someone else's consoles? So why didn't they do that last year then? Why aren't they doing that with Far Cry 4 then? If this new AC game could run on PS3 and Xbox 360, it'd be on it. Every AC game has appeared on every system that could run it, in some cases just barely, like ACIII: Liberation on Vita. Unity would be on PS3 and Xbox 360 if there was any way that was possible.