Is the Wii U's specs holding it back from next gen type games?

#51SyCo_VeNoMPosted 7/23/2014 7:09:52 AM
Read some of these BS answers, but the truth is No that is not what is holding it back.
What is holding it back is Nintendo not giving Ubisoft, and the other 3 parties money for crappy multiplats plain, and simple.
If Nintendo was using an 8 core intel i7 3ghz chip with 50 gigs of ram, and had 5TB of HD space the 3rd parties would still make up excuses as all they want is money.

This is the game Microsoft introduced when they made the xbox(which is actually standard when they try and move into a field), no one wanted to develop for it so they went, and paid 3rd parties to make games which then forced Sony into doing the same thing. Iwata has said in the past Nintendo will not join in on that practice as in all honesty it would be suicidal.
Look at how much MS lost per year on the xbox 360 $2 billion dollars(which is why investors want the line killed). Now how in the hell do you lose $2 billion dollars a year on a system that had a ton of people paying per month for online, paying stupid amounts of money for clothing for their damn avatar, and should have had 3rd parties paying royalties. Only way I can come up with is how much money they pissed away buying 3rd party games on their systems.
#52ToozinPosted 7/23/2014 7:14:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
Read some of these BS answers, but the truth is No that is not what is holding it back.
What is holding it back is Nintendo not giving Ubisoft, and the other 3 parties money for crappy multiplats plain, and simple.
If Nintendo was using an 8 core intel i7 3ghz chip with 50 gigs of ram, and had 5TB of HD space the 3rd parties would still make up excuses as all they want is money.

This is the game Microsoft introduced when they made the xbox(which is actually standard when they try and move into a field), no one wanted to develop for it so they went, and paid 3rd parties to make games which then forced Sony into doing the same thing. Iwata has said in the past Nintendo will not join in on that practice as in all honesty it would be suicidal.
Look at how much MS lost per year on the xbox 360 $2 billion dollars(which is why investors want the line killed). Now how in the hell do you lose $2 billion dollars a year on a system that had a ton of people paying per month for online, paying stupid amounts of money for clothing for their damn avatar, and should have had 3rd parties paying royalties. Only way I can come up with is how much money they pissed away buying 3rd party games on their systems.

Don't forget about the commercials they air on the dashboard!
#53The_shoemakerPosted 7/23/2014 7:18:09 AM
I'm sure they just don't want to put in the time for an auidence who doesn't really care about their games anyways.
---
Check out the amazing band "ESCAPE THE FATE" right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Me9nPk5ro
#54QuestionmarktariusPosted 7/23/2014 7:28:43 AM(edited)
Not really no.
Everything was half-assedly "ported" to GBA back in the day, and occasional games were half-assedly ported to PS2 and and Wii just a generation ago.

It's not so much a "power" issue as much as it is "everything else is a weak PC now" issue.
Since PS4 and X1 are x86 systems, it doesn't really take all that much to shift from one to the other.
What's inexplicable, though, is games being ported to X360, but not quickly tweaked for Wii U. Both of those are PPC hardware.

Then there's the fact that every major publisher squirted out a huge pile of shoddy "me too!" shovelware for Wii, most of which was clones of Wii Sports, and none of it sold very well. This creates the misguided idea that "third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles", when the real truth is "bad third party games don't sell on Nintendo consoles".
See also: http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

Then, there's "best version" phenomenon, where the gamers who care about "awesome graphics" will buy the version that has the "awesomer" graphics. This is currently hurting X1 badly, and makes Wii U a 'why bother'. If the X1 version of nearly every multiport is falling behind because it's slightly less pretty, who the hell is going to buy the even less pretty Wii U port that's likely also delayed by four months?
#55brolynickPosted 7/23/2014 7:29:26 AM
AceMos posted...
you mention AC unity and its engine

but it dont give a gender option for its create a character

yet xenoblade X does

which engine is less advanced again?

How does the ability to create a character or not make an engine advanced or less advanced? I guess WWF No Mercy on the N64 has a more advanced engine than AC: Unity then.
---
Chris Jericho is better than God.
#56Skill4ReelPosted 7/23/2014 7:29:26 AM
Eoin posted...
Ubisoft knew that ACIII sold in exceptionally large numbers (since it was hugely hyped and since it was the first "numbered" game for three years) and they knew that it damaged the brand a bit, so they knew Black Flag would sell less. Your assumptions about their expectations don't match the reality.

Lol. They knew that, but they couldn't predict ZombiU sales on Wii U? That was a huge shock. ACIII didn't damage the brand. Where are you getting that from? My point still stands that there was no significant growth from one game to the next, which is to be expected when the sequel is on four platforms instead of two. Also this article is before ACIV was released on PS3/XB360. How do we know that the sales for those two consoles alone weren't being referenced in that 10 million that he predicts? There was no mention of "next gen" combined sales in the statement.

Eoin posted...
It's not two fewer versions to produce. They're still making an AC game on PS3 and Xbox 360 (and maybe Wii U).

They are however two fewer versions (also Wii U) of Assassin's Creed Unity that aren't being developed. What does some game that probably isn't even getting released this year, or at all for PS3/XB360 (possibly Wii U) have to do with ACU development?

Eoin posted...
The rumours aren't about the games existence. The game is definitely coming. The rumours are what platforms it's on, what it's called, when it'll be set, and how close it'll be to Black Flag.

Ubisoft cancels and delays games all of the time. Clearly this game is not a priority like Assassin's Creed Unity is. It could very well get that delayed Wiii U version of Rayman Legends treatment, or that delayed indefinitely but really cancelled Wii U version of Ghost Recon Online treatment if Ubisoft doesn't see themselves profiting enough from it. I see it all depending on the reception ACU gets at the end of this year.
#57EastCoastKodyPosted 7/23/2014 7:33:07 AM
ITT: xb1/ps4 are super-powered god tier machinery.

and not severely underpowered consoles, that would have been impressive 4 years ago.

PS4 can't get their exclusives to run 1080p/60fps

XB1 can't get their multplats to run 1080p/60fps.
#58retrogoodsPosted 7/23/2014 7:38:44 AM
brolynick posted...
AceMos posted...
you mention AC unity and its engine

but it dont give a gender option for its create a character

yet xenoblade X does

which engine is less advanced again?

How does the ability to create a character or not make an engine advanced or less advanced? I guess WWF No Mercy on the N64 has a more advanced engine than AC: Unity then.

It's the whole gender and feminism BS that's going on.
---
How to ignore people: 1. Click on user's message detail. 2 Scroll to Ignore. 3. Click on Ignore. Boom. You ignore the person's topics and posts.
#59EoinPosted 7/23/2014 8:13:52 AM
Skill4Reel posted...
Lol. They knew that, but they couldn't predict ZombiU sales on Wii U?

What's difficult to understand?

AC is an established series that appeared on largely established platforms. It's Ubisoft's key franchise. They have a lot of data about it and understand it extremely well.

ZombiU was not an established series - almost nobody remembers Zombi. It appeared on a totally new platform. It was not a key franchise for Ubisoft. They had no real data on which to base sales expectations.

Skill4Reel posted...
ACIII didn't damage the brand. Where are you getting that from?

What? Of course it damaged the brand. How could you think otherwise? The clearest evidence is the lower sales of Black Flag. I'm not saying that the damage was particularly bad or anything. However, it turned many away from the series. I am not arguing this point much further, by the way, since it's totally tangential. If you can't see the damage, fine, pretend it wasn't there.

Skill4Reel posted...
They are however two fewer versions (also Wii U) of Assassin's Creed Unity that aren't being developed. What does some game that probably isn't even getting released this year, or at all for PS3/XB360 (possibly Wii U) have to do with ACU development?

You were giving lower costs as a reason for moving to PS4/Xbox One. Those costs aren't lower. They're just devoted to another game. Ubisoft aren't saving the money that you were attempting to argue that they would save.

Skill4Reel posted...
Ubisoft cancels and delays games all of the time. Clearly this game is not a priority like Assassin's Creed Unity is.

The PS3/360 AC game definitely is a priority. For people who only own those consoles, it's the game that Ubisoft hope will keep them engaged with the series. There is no chance it'll be cancelled. None.
#60dudupupuPosted 7/23/2014 8:15:57 AM
We don't want "next gen type games." Mario Kart 8/3D World, aside from resolution, looks better than anything I've played on my PS4.

Art Style is infinitely more important than straight specs/graphics, and the two big consoles don't seem interested (aside from that one Insomniac game for XBOne) in putting out anything other than trees/ruins/shadow details/hallways.
---
Proud follower of Christ!
3DS: Name: SwuglyBear, FC: 5429-7287-4928